Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sum of two Primes, one of which is 2.

• 31-01-2018 9:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭

1. Am I right in thinking that, if you add any two primes excluding 2 (e.g. 7+11, 23+31, 1+47) you get an even number? i.e. a number divisible by two.

2. But, if you add any two primes, one of which is 2, (e.g. 2+11, 2+23, 2+31, 2+1, 2+47), you always get an uneven number?

If I’m correct, has the curious quirk been written about (I’m sure it has) and is there a name for this observation?

Thanks.

D.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭Halfbaker

I wouldn't call it a quirk. Every prime number larger than 2 is uneven.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Well, it's one of the fundamental rules of maths.

If you think about it logically, the modulus/remainder of any odd number divided by 2, is 1

Therefore, every single odd number can be expressed in the form

(x * 2) + 1

Thus, adding two odd numbers gives you (x * 2) + 1 + (y * 2) +1 = 2 * (x + y + 1)

And since any number multiplied by two must be even, the sum of two odd numbers is always even.

The same rule holds true for 2 + (any odd number).

Adding them you get 2 + (x * 2) + 1. Since any attempt to divide this equation by 2 will give a non-integer result, it is not an even number.

Advertisement