Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on whether to switch current a/c from ptsb to kbc

• 31-01-2018 10:34am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 626 ✭✭✭

Sorry if already asked but just looking for advice on kbc really.
    I was paying €12 a quarter with
    ptsb but just noticed it’s now €18.I have a current a/c and savings a/c.I really like this bank and don’t want to change but don’t like that they just put their rates up
    Kbc are charging €6 a quarter (.30c per atm withdrawals which I never really do) so I’m wondering what kbc are like as a bank and would people reccomend switching .Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Delta2113

https://www.ccpc.ie/consumers/financial-comparisons/current-account-comparison/ - I refuse to pay Current Account fees - I would go with EBS Money Manager.

This site gives you all the information.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Delta2113 wrote: »
    https://www.ccpc.ie/consumers/financial-comparisons/current-account-comparison/ - I refuse to pay Current Account fees - I would go with EBS Money Manager.

This site gives you all the information.

OP, don't go near an EBS account. They are useless. You're paying for what you get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 mjdh1957

I've got an account with KBC and have been very happy with them. Opened the account online using scanned documents. I've used the local branch in Waterford city (they call them hubs) a few times and the staff are friendly and you get a free coffee if you are waiting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭mistress_gi

Agreed about KBC, I've been with them for 2 years now. The only annoying thing is they have no facility to lodge cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Okon

KBC before EBS... every time! Free banking with their Extra Current Account if you lodge (but don't have to keep in) €2,500 per month, Apple/Android Pay and a very good mobile app.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Okon wrote: »
    KBC before EBS... every time! Free banking with their Extra Current Account if you lodge (but don't have to keep in) €2,500 per month, Apple/Android Pay and a very good mobile app.

- If you don't have the €2,500 per month then EBS is a no brainer!

- You can also combine Revolut with EBS and basically work off the Revolut card. You then have contactless and a mobile app (obviously wont show your EBS transactions).

- EBS do have online access for account - may not be the best fair enough but it's FREE.

Delta2113 wrote: »
    - If you don't have the €2,500 per month then EBS is a no brainer!

- You can also combine Revolut with EBS and basically work off the Revolut card. You then have contactless and a mobile app (obviously wont show your EBS transactions).

- EBS do have online access for account - may not be the best fair enough but it's FREE.

You don't need 2.5k. Just transfer 833 a month 3 times and bobs your uncle.

Steer well clear of RBS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

I use KBC. Have heard some horror stories but I've found them easy to deal with and the account opening was seamless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,808 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

shardylan wrote: »
    Sorry if already asked but just looking for advice on kbc really.
    I was paying €12 a quarter with
    ptsb but just noticed it’s now €18.I have a current a/c and savings a/c.I really like this bank and don’t want to change but don’t like that they just put their rates up
    Kbc are charging €6 a quarter (.30c per atm withdrawals which I never really do) so I’m wondering what kbc are like as a bank and would people reccomend switching .Thanks

I'm with PTSB and on their rewards a/c and you can elininate charges by using your bankcard more often. Last month alone I had €4 charge but €7 reward.
    I can't speak for KBC .

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Bubbaclaus wrote: »

Steer well clear of RBS.

Utter nonsense. N26 and Revolut for the bells and whistles, with EBS as a bricks-and-mortar backup - one that actually takes cash lodgements!

And all completely free without the hassle of having to make minimum monthly lodgements or maintain minimum balances.

• Advertisement

Quackster wrote: »
    Utter nonsense. N26 and Revolut for the bells and whistles, with EBS as a bricks-and-mortar backup - one that actually takes cash lodgements!

And all completely free without the hassle of having to make minimum monthly lodgements or maintain minimum balances.

The vast vast majority of people would have 2.5k flowing through their current account a month, so I'm not seeing where the hassle is. No minimum balance either and a 2.5% APR interest rate available.

I doubt I've made a cash lodgement this century.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

The vast vast majority of people would have 2.5k flowing through their current account a month, so I'm not seeing where the hassle is. No minimum balance either and a 2.5% APR interest rate available.

I doubt I've made a cash lodgement this century.

30K a year wouldn't exactly be the vast, vast majority of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭goob20s

Steer well clear of RBS.

Just to clarify, I can send 850 to the account and move it to another bank the same day- 3 times in a month and that's OK?

goob20s wrote: »
    Just to clarify, I can send 850 to the account and move it to another bank the same day- 3 times in a month and that's OK?

Yes. Only requirement is to credit 2.5k into the account a month. Doesn't have to be in 1 go and doesn't have to stay there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 626 ✭✭✭shardylan

Fann Linn wrote: »
    I'm with PTSB and on their rewards a/c and you can elininate charges by using your bankcard more often. Last month alone I had €4 charge but €7 reward.
    I can't speak for KBC .

I like ptsb but when I have the option of not paying €18 it needs to be looked at & all of their rewards are not neccesssarily going to cover costs if you don’t use the stores the reward is for.Also going from €12 to €18 is a bit of a jump imo (I did just use Debenhams but was only small amount but got 15c back )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

I like ptsb but when I have the option of not paying €18 it needs to be looked at & all of their rewards are not neccesssarily going to cover costs if you don’t use the stores the reward is for.Also going from €12 to €18 is a bit of a jump imo (I did just use Debenhams but was only small amount but got 15c back )
    With PTSBs Explore Account, you get 10c cash back per Visa Debit card transaction (Except ATM withdrawals) up to a maximum of €5 per month. Monthly fee on the account is €4. This is before any of the rewards from their GoRewards you mentioned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 626 ✭✭✭shardylan

bennyx_o wrote: »
    With PTSBs Explore Account, you get 10c cash back per Visa Debit card transaction (Except ATM withdrawals) up to a maximum of €5 per month. Monthly fee on the account is €4. This is before any of the rewards from their GoRewards you mentioned

Hasn’t heard of this .Is it easy to switch to ? Will I need to make appointment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Hasn’t heard of this .Is it easy to switch to ? Will I need to make appointment

Can upgrade in branch. I'd say an appointment would be needed

Advertisement