Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats demand for Air BnB like in Dublin suburbs

Options
  • 31-01-2018 11:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭

Hi, looking for advice. Currently live alone in Lucan in a 3 bed house. My room, another double room and a single room.
    Spend a lot of time in my girlfriends house a few miles away but we are not officially moving in together just yet!

So I have 2 options.

Rent my 2 rooms out which would be no problem they'll be snapped up quickly. Would get 1000 tax free for both rooms I would imagine. 550 for double and 450 for single. Would probably try to rent to workers from the country that have ties at home and go home when not working at weekends. Or even shift workers in many of the local multinationals locally.

Do a bit of Air BnB. This is taxable, I understand this. But it also gives me the freedom to rent it when I want, for as long as I want.

Is there much demand out where I live for this?
    And what price would hosts generally charge?

I'm self employed and have the freedom and time to run this as a bit of a business too.

So if anyone in Dublin suburbs has any advice, let me know! Is there money to be made around times of big demand such as 6 nations matches and concerts? Or would you have to really have it available full time?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

I’m sure Airbnb is a lot more work. You need to clean between use to professional standards. Change linen. I think you need to put out food.

Also obviously you are at a disadvantage relative to the city centre or plusher suburbs.

If you do the house share you should stay there sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

I’m sure Airbnb is a lot more work. You need to clean between use to professional standards. Change linen. I think you need to put out food.

Also obviously you are at a disadvantage relative to the city centre or plusher suburbs.

If you do the house share you should stay there sometimes.

I do stay in my own house 3 or 4 times a week at the moment so house share will be fine. Just looking into some options. Realistically I think I will go down the route of renting the 2 rooms they are getting freshly painted today but I think I would be open to trying short term letting for a few months to see if I think it's worth it.

Obviously I can reverse my decision at any stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Why not look at your area on airbnb and talk to a few of the other offerings to see how it's working for them.

Advertisement