Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small Old Doors

Options
  • 31-01-2018 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

Hello i recently bought a house but most of the doors upstairs are the smaller type doors and they need to be replaced but cant seem to find anywhere that sells them? do they need to be custom made?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭ciarang85

Did you try a salvage yard? I have been in one or two over the past year and the mostly would have a big range of old doors all shapes & sizes, did you have a look on adverts or donedeal?

What are the dimensions of the doors by any chance?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,632 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you mean they're shorter than off the peg doors you can buy now?
    i had that problem once, and replaced the skins on the doors - had to strip the old skin off and replace with (i think 3/16 ply).

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Shoutcast Ireland

ciarang85 wrote: »
    Did you try a salvage yard? I have been in one or two over the past year and the mostly would have a big range of old doors all shapes & sizes, did you have a look on adverts or donedeal?

What are the dimensions of the doors by any chance?

In height wise they are around 72 inches.

you mean they're shorter than off the peg doors you can buy now?
    i had that problem once, and replaced the skins on the doors - had to strip the old skin off and replace with (i think 3/16 ply).

Doors are moldy and rotten.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,632 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

In height wise they are around 72 inches.
    yeah, that sounds similar to my issue - by the time you would trim down off-the-peg doors to fit, you'd have left them very flimsy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Can you put up a picture, are they actually rotten, or do you just not like the look of them.

Can you put up a picture, are they actually rotten, or do you just not like the look of them.

The qs said they were rotten and they have mold,
    one door is 72,one is 74 the others are 76.5

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

are they ledged and bracked doors. you can buy them but the measurments mightn't be standard.
    you could get some made .

any decent carpenter should be able to make them up

I'm making one at the moment for a job. nothing fancy just 5.25"x 1.25" white deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

They may be 'rotten' but they are part of the fabric of the house. Instead of making bright shiny new doors could you ask a joiner to restore them. ? Even with patches in them they will look better than new doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Have you picture s of the doors. We could give a better answer

• Advertisement
Advertisement