Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Gig Goers

Options
  • 31-01-2018 11:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭

:mad: Rant alert :mad:

Love Vicar Street in general, but was at Jeff Tweedy (solo acoustic) and the audience going to the bar constantly was rude, disrespectful and annoying to Jeff and to the majority who were there to WATCH and LISTEN.

I know it’s not up to Vicar St to police or monitor pig ignorance, but thought the bar should have been closed for an acoustic gig like that. There was a constant sound of doors opening and closing, people talking on the stairs, dropping pint glasses etc.

If people did it at the cinema for a 90 minute movie, it would look silly and people would rightly give out.

To make it worse, they left during songs, not in between. Pig ignorance.

Again, not really the fault of Vicar St that people are more interested in booze than a gig, but if the bar was closed, there wouldn’t have been half of the distractions there were last night.

A lot of them around me were of a certain age, late 40s/50s. Possibly don’t get out much and thought “it’s my night out, I’ll do what I like” and they treated it like a pub gig.

For a 90 min gig, which cost €45, if people are that desperate for pints, why don’t they just stay in the pub, or go before the gig. Would they do the same at the cinema? Keep going out for popcorn?

Vicar St should have closed the bar really, but I’ve been at several acoustic gigs there and it’s the same thing.

Plus, why is there always someone who thinks they’re funny, usually an older Dub, who must believe “da witty char-um of de Dub will go down well at da gig”, who has to have a chat with the artist between songs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

seachto7 wrote: »

Love Vicar Street in general, but was at Jeff Tweedy (solo acoustic) and the audience going to the bar constantly was rude, disrespectful and annoying to Jeff and to the majority who were there to WATCH and LISTEN.

I know it’s not up to Vicar St to police or monitor pig ignorance, but thought the bar should have been closed for an acoustic gig like that. There was a constant sound of doors opening and closing, people talking on the stairs, dropping pint glasses etc.

If people did it at the cinema for a 90 minute movie, it would look silly and people would rightly give out.

To make it worse, they left during songs, not in between. Pig ignorance.

Again, not really the fault of Vicar St that people are more interested in booze than a gig, but if the bar was closed, there wouldn’t have been half of the distractions there were last night.

A lot of them around me were of a certain age, late 40s/50s. Possibly don’t get out much and thought “it’s my night out, I’ll do what I like” and they treated it like a pub gig.

For a 90 min gig, which cost €45, if people are that desperate for pints, why don’t they just stay in the pub, or go before the gig. Would they do the same at the cinema? Keep going out for popcorn?

Vicar St should have closed the bar really, but I’ve been at several acoustic gigs there and it’s the same thing.

Plus, why is there always someone who thinks they’re funny, usually an older Dub, who must believe “da witty char-um of de Dub will go down well at da gig”, who has to have a chat with the artist between songs?

Theres always one of them.

Didn't think the crowd was too bad last night for that. Decent overall. There was someone chatting loudly during the first song but after a chorus of "SSSHHH" they stopped.

Where were you sitting?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

I think if alcohol were available in the cinema (and you could bring it to your seat), we might see people moving around a bit more. It's not just gigs though - matches are the same, whether it's a packed terrace or seating, and stand-up shows (though people risk being ridiculed for standing up at least). It's just far more noticeable at acoustic gigs.

Does blow me away how people will just be at these things for the chats (again, more pronounced during acoustic / quieter songs) or to make constant trips to the bar. Paid enough to get in / you're a fan of the artist; why spend time away from the experience or not taking it in?

🤪

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

The Nal wrote: »
    Theres always one of them.

Didn't think the crowd was too bad last night for that. Decent overall. There was someone chatting loudly during the first song but after a chorus of "SSSHHH" they stopped.

Where were you sitting?

Up in the balcony. The background noise was unreal. Just a constant drone of twats. (not all I must add)

Am I just getting old? Obviously more noticeable at an acoustic gig, but people really should take that into account.

I reckon around 10:30, Jeff maybe thought of coming back out, but then thought "nah f*ck that".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

People always talk at gigs. Can't help that. Festivals / open air gigs are worse, as a most of the attendees won't be there to see every band, so will chat through someone else's set while waiting for the next act. Annoying for the people who are actually listening to said set.

People going out for pints during gigs is the bane of my life, and puts me off going to gigs. I usually have one or two before the gig. And probably none during (cos then I'll only need to go to the toilet). But you'll get these guys, trying to push through with four pints slopping out the sides of the plastic glasses.

Also people dancing with drinks in their hands. They'll have their arms in the air, with the drink in their hand. I'm standing nervously behind them just waiting to get drenched.

And while we're at it, people leaning back during the gig (what's with that, don't you know there's someone behind you?), large hats, long hair being swished around, constant phones recording videos being held up...

Luckily I'm tall and get a good view at gigs. I suppose then in some ways I'm a problem for a shorter person behind me... :)

Oh and people shouting out song titles.... three songs in. OK, you have a favourite that you want to hear, but at least let the band play the set! And on that note, they have a set list. If the song isn't on the set list they aren't going to start playing it just because someone shouts it out. Unless they invite the audience to shout out requests.

Can people not go without a beer for an hour or two? I mean, you've paid to see a band. WATCH them!
    Some gowl then proceeds to video a song with the bloody light on in the camera.
    Staff in Vicar St stopped this at Glen Hansard solo a few months ago, but not last night, well they didn't catch this culprit, who then fecked off to the bar.

• Advertisement

Can people not go without a beer for an hour or two? I mean, you've paid to see a band. WATCH them!
    Some gowl then proceeds to video a song with the bloody light on in the camera.
    Staff in Vicar St stopped this at Glen Hansard solo a few months ago, but not last night, well they didn't catch this culprit, who then fecked off to the bar.

Someone did that last night near me on the balcony. Jeffs eye wandered up in their direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭phunkadelic

I was sitting directly behind that twat at the floor tables. Christ, what a fool. Singing along out of tune too, tone-deaf. I can imagine he doesn't go to much gigs, mostly spends his summer on the hill. His Buddddy couldn't find his table on the way back from the bar

I was sitting directly behind that twat at the floor tables. Christ, what a fool. Singing along out of tune too, tone-deaf. I can imagine he doesn't go to much gigs, mostly spends his summer on the hill. His Buddddy couldn't find his table on the way back from the bar

Yup. Surprised nobody told him to shut up. Jeff this and Jeff that.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭phunkadelic

I came close to firing a shoe at him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭fluke

..and then at certain gigs there's the ole ole crowd. If ever an eye-roll was adequate.

Oddly enough I've seen people (a small minority mind) be more disrespectful at 'quieter' gigs e.g. at Eddie Vedder, Ray Lamontagne, Lisa Hannigan... and either just keep hollering or keep being fidgety fuckers.

• Advertisement

Whatever about full band gigs, you can get away with going to the bar etc. People treating an acoustic gig like being at the pub! F**k!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

There was a guy in the second row of tables who insisted on singing along to every f***ing song (except the new ones, obviously), right from the opening line of Via Chicago. It was ridiculous. A real case of, "Listen to me, everyone, I know all the words to all the songs... including all the obscure Uncle Tupelo ones. I'm a bigger fan than all of you." Anyone in his immediate vicinity could probably have heard him as clearly as they could hear Tweedy.
    As for the other issue, Jeff needed to use his old, "Now be quiet" line from Kicking Television to keep some of the would-be comedians in check.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

Jeff handled the crowd *very* well. At one stage, he said to woman "do you want me to wait until you come back?". He should have extended that to the other arseholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭roll

i would add to this and give out but i'm tired of it. i am a complete cxxt at gigs tho and have no problem telling people to shut the fxxk up at gigs. i think festivals might be partially to blame for the constant din that plagues gigs these days. either that or that's how the majority of young folk do gigs?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

What got me was Tweedy destroyed him with his first reply 'I don't need any reassurance' = basically means shut the **** up in a nice way. But nope he just kept at it.

Did anyone actually enjoy the interactions?
    roll wrote: »
    i would add to this and give out but i'm tired of it. i am a complete cxxt at gigs tho and have no problem telling people to shut the fxxk up at gigs. i think festivals might be partially to blame for the constant din that plagues gigs these days. either that or that's how the majority of young folk do gigs?

Same. "Cheers for waiting for the end of the song before going to the bar... oh wait the song isn't over"

That all said OP - the decision to leave a bar open or closed isn't the venues - it's generally the artists and... I could be wrong hear but I think it costs them (Artist) more to have it closed during the show.

I was on the balcony too but have no complaints. But overall the slow break down of human decency rise of self importance is probably the overall root of the problem. /end drama

On the actual gig: thought tweedy was scabby - 90mins is nothing, 30 mins before curfew.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I wasn’t at the Jeff gig, but can definitely relate to the chatter. I’ve got stung so many times at gigs that nowadays, I’m on edge going into the venue that I’m going to be around some dlck who will ruin one of my favourite artist’s gig. I try to stay away from groups who are drinking. Try to avoid kissy/cuddly couples, cause more than likely one of them doesn’t know the songs and is just there as a tag along. And will get bored after half hour. I don’t mean to be sexist, but I try to locate myself away from ladies in general at gigs, cause the general higher pitch can grate on the nerves during quieter songs.

That doesn’t leave too many other places to hide. Next time, I might just sit myself up on stage beside the drummer.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mickolution

This is a very Irish problem too, I think.

I've been to plenty of gigs in other countries and never experienced anything as bad as a crowd here. Last year, I was at a few gigs in the US, ranging from a 3-4k theater, to festival shows and an arena gig, all aimed at differing age groups and the behavior of the crowds was immaculate. It seemed so strange (and great) that people actually wanted to watch and hear the artist they've paid money to go see! Everyone was respectful of people around them and as a result, everyone seemed to be having a great time. At the arena show, I think they even closed the bar during the performance (a 3 hour gig, imagine the complaints if they did that here?!).

roll wrote: »

It's not just young folk. The people involved at the Tweedy gig were mid to late 40s I'd say.

But, a never ending Irish problem. We'll go and complain online instead of saying it there and then to the people who it should be said to. :)

If it were Spain, would it be the same? Would the Spanish confront rude people or would they be in and out to the bar like the rest of us?

I emailed Vicar St, well, just to let them know.

You could say that Jeff was scabby with his 90 mins, but maybe he thought "f*ck it, I'm not going back out again, they're not too bothered as it is."

And it was just 90 mins. Again, when people go to the cinema, they buy their food and drink before the movie starts because they don't want to miss any of it. As it's a movie, the actors can't see folk leaving.

Why then, at a gig, when it's a live performance, can people not just sit and enjoy as they would a film. At the very least, in an acoustic setting, show a bit of respect for the artist and people sitting around you.

Why then, at a gig, when it's a live performance, can people not just sit and enjoy as they would a film. At the very least, in an acoustic setting, show a bit of respect for the artist and people sitting around you.

Exactly. When you go to the theatre, you can't get up and down all the time. You have to wait till the interval to buy drinks. Maybe gigs need intervals! :)

90 mins in my mind is good for a solo acoustic gig. As a performer, solo gigs are a lot harder going as you don't have a band / instrumental passages to fall back on. It's all on you.

No issue with the length of the gig. 21 songs. Greatest hits basically.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/jeff-tweedy/2018/vicar-street-dublin-ireland-23ee9c37.html

Didn't think the crowd was too bad apart from 1 or 2 clowns the other night and its far from just an Irish problem.

• Advertisement

I remember seeing Henry Rollins in Vicar Street, spoken word gig, and people were still talking and shouting things to him. And he said "I remember that about you guys", as in, "us Irish".

It's a pity as we can also be really good - I was in Whelan's recently for This Is The Kit and the crowd were silent during the quietest parts, but gave such a big reaction to the songs that the singer said we were the loudest [applauding] crowd they had for the whole tour.

I was at a gig in Utrecht last year (Ride) and it wasn't that different really. People were still getting drinks and moving around. Ride, however, were a lot louder than a solo acoustic gig would be. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

While we know this happens at every gig ever, it’s something I’ve noticed after probably hundreds of gigs in vicar st is that the place is too bloody well designed sound wise. It’s meant to be intimate and perfect yet every door opening(why are the doors in there so squeaky by the way?) and every plastic glass dropping to the floor, is audible from every single point in the room.
    It’s really particular to that room too, I’ve been in loads of similar sized venues and setups and it doesn’t happen to anything like that degree.
    So if you take the people factor out it’s the best venue imaginable. Sadly it’s pekple screwing your night up. Ideally bars would be closed during gigs. That’ll never happen though

david75 wrote: »
    Ideally bars would be closed during gigs. That’ll never happen though

I wouldn't mind that.

1109.jpg

Its a free country though, we don't live in North Korea. People can drink if they want. People can be dickheads if they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭part time punk

No issue with the length of the gig. 21 songs. Greatest hits basically.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/jeff-tweedy/2018/vicar-street-dublin-ireland-23ee9c37.html

Didn't think the crowd was too bad apart from 1 or 2 clowns the other night and its far from just an Irish problem.
    Late to this thread but I'd agree with this above

Again I was at a table down the back and thought that the atmosphere was pretty good, some audience interaction but not too much/some popping in and out, which is going to happen anywhere I think.

Mostly silence for the songs themselves and then sing a-long encore. A second encore would have been great but as it happens we had to get home to relieve the babysitter and I'm sure there were others in that boat :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,321 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Its a free country though, we don't live in North Korea. People can drink if they want. People can be dickheads if they want.

And what? We should just suck it up?

Birneybau wrote: »
    And what? We should just suck it up?

Course not. I've literally told dickheads to shut the fúck up at gigs before and have no issues with doing so but banning booze is extreme. People will turn up totally pissed up from boozing before the the gig in that case.

I nipped out to the bar during the gig. Left when a song ended and sat back down when a song ended.

Course not. I've literally told dickheads to shut the fúck up at gigs before and have no issues with doing so but banning booze is extreme. People will turn up totally pissed up from boozing before the the gig in that case.

I nipped out to the bar during the gig. Left when a song ended and sat back down when a song ended.

I don't get it. Why would people feel they need to turn up pissed at a gig? Would they do the same in the cinema or at a match? Or at the theatre?
    It doesn't seem to be a problem at the NCH.
    I know the environments are different, but it's stupid if people feel that they can't go a few hours without alcohol, or that they need alcohol to enjoy a gig. That's another discussion maybe.

Fair play to you for nipping out when a song ended, and waiting. That's what should happen, but doesn't :(

I don't get it. Why would people feel they need to turn up pissed at a gig? Would they do the same in the cinema or at a match? Or at the theatre?
    It doesn't seem to be a problem at the NCH.
    I know the environments are different, but it's stupid if people feel that they can't go a few hours without alcohol, or that they need alcohol to enjoy a gig. That's another discussion maybe.

Fair play to you for nipping out when a song ended, and waiting. That's what should happen, but doesn't :(

Agree with all of the above yeah but people are going to drink regardless. Chris Rock last year in the Point was as bad as I've seen. Literally dozens of people at any one time moving about from bar to seat. At a 90 minute comedy gig. :confused:

NCH goers have a little more decorum. Same for people in the Grand Canal.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,637 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Interesting thread.

Basically for all the reasons stated, I simply do not enjoy live music any more and would rarely go to concerts.
    There's too many arseholes out there. IF they aren't talking, they are filming the bloody thing from behind their phones, or posting live to Facebook.

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »
    Interesting thread.

Basically for all the reasons stated, I simply do not enjoy live music any more and would rarely go to concerts.
    There's too many arseholes out there. IF they aren't talking, they are filming the bloody thing from behind their phones, or posting live to Facebook.

Nah you must just be going to the wrong gigs. Most gigs here are great. Theres always one dickhead though, in any country.

The big event gigs bring out the worst people. Big event whores. Slanes, Crokers etc. Just stay clear of them.

Advertisement