Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Gig Goers

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

The Nal wrote: »
    Nah you must just be going to the wrong gigs. Most gigs here are great. Theres always one dickhead though, in any country.

The big event gigs bring out the worst people. Big event whores. Slanes, Crokers etc. Just stay clear of them.

Not entirely true. I was at Wolf Alice in the Olympia and it was as close as I have come to just leaving a gig due to being surrounded idiots. The worst being this couple that shoved their way in front of us as the gig started, proceeded to Snapchat the first song, then spent the next 20 mins chatting loudly and not paying any attention. We eventually pushed our way ahead of them but couldn't drown out their chatting.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

"PINTS. I need my PINTS."

Jaysus I like drinking before and after a gig but these restless gombeens that have to keep going to and from the bar, pushing through the crowd with trays of beer are irritating.

"I haven't had a pint in 20 mins now and I need pints. That's what a gig is really all about. Pints. And yapping through songs. Sure I only get out once a year. Dya want a pint? Jaysus it feels like an eternity since I had a pint. Pint, pint, yap, yap."

People are the worst. All of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

threein99 wrote: »
    Not entirely true. I was at Wolf Alice in the Olympia and it was as close as I have come to just leaving a gig due to being surrounded idiots. The worst being this couple that shoved their way in front of us as the gig started, proceeded to Snapchat the first song, then spent the next 20 mins chatting loudly and not paying any attention. We eventually pushed our way ahead of them but couldn't drown out their chatting.

Yeah have experienced that myself at various smaller gigs in fairness. Thats where "SSSSHHH" followed by "Hey, shut the fúck up!" comes in handy!
    Grayditch wrote: »
    "PINTS. I need my PINTS."

The best one of those I saw was at the Stones at Glastonbury. We were fairly close to the stage and some girl came pushing through from the back with a tray of pints with about a third left in each pint. She must've walked through 50,000 people to get to where she was because the bar is at the back of the field. She looked traumatised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

I can never really understand why people get so upset about other people's behaviour at gigs. There's no other activity in the world where people are so concerned about the behaviour of others.

Okay, I can understand the talking thing being an issue as it's actively disruptive. On the other hand, if people want to get themselves a few drinks or record on their phones then that's their own prerogative.

If you took your mind off what's going on around you and on to the actual performance you'd likely find it far less disruptive.

Yeah have experienced that myself at various smaller gigs in fairness. Thats where "SSSSHHH" followed by "Hey, shut the fúck up!" comes in handy!

I haven't been able to bring myself to sushing people yet because you just know it will end in a argument. I actually think in a smaller venue to constant din of chatting becomes more noticeable. I was at Ham Sandwich in Whelans at Christmas and it was really obvious, and you cant tune it out once you hear it.

• Advertisement

I can never really understand why people get so upset about other people's behaviour at gigs. There's no other activity in the world where people are so concerned about the behaviour of others.

Okay, I can understand the talking thing being an issue as it's actively disruptive. On the other hand, if people want to get themselves a few drinks or record on their phones then that's their own prerogative.

If you took your mind off what's going on around you and on to the actual performance you'd likely find it far less disruptive.

The second bolded bit answers the first bolded bit.

"Just don't look for distractions"

Gotchya.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

No issue with people recording stuff and getting pints. They've paid for their ticket and the bar is open. Its a free country.

Agree that some of it can be ignored but talking during gigs can't be ignored. Its infuriating. The odd chat here and there is fine, "ooh love this song", "whats this called" "what album is this on?" and so on. But I've told someone to "SSSHHH" before close to the stage because they were talking about work!

Speaking of Tweedy

I haven't been able to bring myself to sushing people yet because you just know it will end in a argument.

Try it, you'll like it! Never (well very rarely) leads to an argument.

Try it, you'll like it! Never (well very rarely) leads to an argument.

I might try the Artie Zifff approach https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7dLlzUE2JY

I told someone behind me to stop talking once. They moaned for ages to their partner about how I told them to stop. So it was just the same level of noise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

While it's not disruptive really, I don't understand people who video the first song when the band comes on stage, instead of enjoying the moment, that moment when a band comes on stage and starts playing the first song.
    There is already tonnes of crap quality video on YouTube. Better again, there's tonnes of professional quality videos on YouTube as well.
    Is it just people's attention spans getting shorter?
    One of the few gigs I was at where 99% of people stood and watched the gig was Low in Cypess Avenue in Cork a few years ago. Maybe 6 or 7 years ago at this stage, but the band, while not asking as such, got full attention.
    Worse again are pillocks who can't use mobile phones properly and activate the light when videoing. A special kind of twat.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭roll

seachto7 wrote: »
    While it's not disruptive really, I don't understand people who video the first song when the band comes on stage, instead of enjoying the moment, that moment when a band comes on stage and starts playing the first song.
    There is already tonnes of crap quality video on YouTube. Better again, there's tonnes of professional quality videos on YouTube as well.
    Is it just people's attention spans getting shorter?
    One of the few gigs I was at where 99% of people stood and watched the gig was Low in Cypess Avenue in Cork a few years ago. Maybe 6 or 7 years ago at this stage, but the band, while not asking as such, got full attention.
    Worse again are pillocks who can't use mobile phones properly and activate the light when videoing. A special kind of twat.

The Low crowd are always awesome but there was one gig in particular in the button factory approx 4 years ago that bordered on the religious, such was the respect and attention given to the band. I got clamped the same night and had to sit in the car till 1am but I still sat there smiling!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Maybe because their music is so minimal? But then again, Jeff Tweedy was minimal last week...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Klinkhammer

Why does Vicar Street get a away with smelling like sewer?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,343 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

Been to loads of gigs in loads of places, only had a problem enough to say something twice.
    First was at Mark Knopfler in the at the time brand newly refurbished Point Depot, there was people sitting together in my row absolutely steaming through the pints & continuously disturbing the whole row who had to stand up to let them through to the bar/toilets & back again. I couldn't understand the need for alcohol when Mark Knopfler was playing guitar on stage. It got worse at an interval when they stood drinking in the row behind me while chatting to their friends & spilled a tray of pints all over me, was not amused. When they walked past me going back to their seats after the interval I told them if they walked out my way to the bar again I wouldn't let them back in.
    Second was at a recent Cigarettes After Sex at the Academy, if you know the band it's real quiet slow-paced music. Guy walked up near me with his girlfriend & started chatting loudly about work, life, cars & his favourite colours. Pulled him on it & told him to shut the **** up, he started to argue with me but his girlfriend saw the point of what I was saying & dragged him elsewhere.

I promise I'm not normally an arsehole :p

• Registered Users Posts: 33,637 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Problem is, nowadays some idiot is likely to take offence and lamp you.

Do you not think it should be the responsibility of the venue to provide staff to do this job. They could walk around and observe, and tell me to shut up if they are chatting out of place or loudly.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,343 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

I'd be happy enough with the bars being shut during the performance, I'm sure it used to happen. NO ALCOHOL!!

Granted I'm teetotal anyways..:pac:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

NIMAN wrote: »
    Problem is, nowadays some idiot is likely to take offence and lamp you.

Do you not think it should be the responsibility of the venue to provide staff to do this job. They could walk around and observe, and tell me to shut up if they are chatting out of place or loudly.

No. I think people should generally know when not to be ass-holes but I don't think this actually ever happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

Wonder if this option will ever catch on. Roll on July.

https://www.spin.com/2018/01/jack-white-bans-phones-tour/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Wonder if this option will ever catch on. Roll on July.

https://www.spin.com/2018/01/jack-white-bans-phones-tour/

It should. I'm of the opinion that if you wish to watch a gig through a screen then stand at the back where you're not obstructing others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭poteen

Im agreeing with every single rant on this thread. I just don't get why people pay money for the smaller gigs to just act a dick and drink. I see the attraction for them in the summer outdoor event gigs. Even the cinemas are full of tools chatting until the opening credits fade.

Also was in the abbey recently at a play. The person beside me left their phone on vibrate throughout. They must have had 50 messages in the 1st act that all vibrated one by one. Shocking self absorbed behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭ngunners

I haven't been able to bring myself to sushing people yet because you just know it will end in a argument. I actually think in a smaller venue to constant din of chatting becomes more noticeable. I was at Ham Sandwich in Whelans at Christmas and it was really obvious, and you cant tune it out once you hear it.

It hasn't been my experience at all that it ends in an argument. I've tried many methods and I've found the best way is politely and directly asking people to be quiet. Just last night at an acoustic gig in a tiny venue I asked the group of girls behind if they wouldn't mind continuing their conversation (about some management course ffs) at the bar. They were stunned into silence.

In my experience saying shhh is too easy to ignore/ or for the chatterboxes to take the moral high ground. And saying shut the **** up is just unnecessarily rude. Kill them with kindness. Hasn't failed me yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

banning booze is extreme. People will turn up totally pissed up from boozing before the the gig in that case.
    They should simply not be let in then, just like a pub or nightclub. Problem is people know there is a tradition of letting people in no matter what, as they have bought a ticket. I have seen lads stumble into gigs who would not have been let into the most tolerant pub. If this was made clear while buying the ticket it could reduce this, esp. if drink was to be banned inside.

I think Christy Moore closes the bar, and Pat Shortt. I have been in Vicar street and heard the bar was closed, can't remember the gigs as it does not bother me, even though I am a fairly heavy drinker I want to remember the gig fully and not miss songs going to the bar or toilet.
    I would say at the cinema people are even more concerned. This is why I have not been to a cinema in several years.
    NIMAN wrote: »
    I would not mind seeing it. Some cinemas throw people out, most give warnings to at least turn off phones. No reason not to tell people not to video or chat. Chris Rock had peoples phones bagged in 3arena.

It would be interesting if there was actually a designated chatting area! Even asking people might bring the point home. Imagine buying tickets and seeing the option "seated and chatting", and making them think, "oh yes, I likely will want to be chatting, I am obviously am an inconsiderate cnut who people find highly objectionable if the sellers have resorted to separating my out". It would make people more confident to challenge them, like smoking sections.

You could even just make up the idea of a chatting area -instead of saying "sshh", instead while walking by chatters, interrupt them and say "sorry, you do know the talking section is on the left side". And then strolling off as though you are going to the chatting section yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,669 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Talking during gigs, I would say, is not strictly an Irish problem. I would highly suspect you get this everywhere. Similar to gig goers using phones during gigs, that's clearly a global thing. What I will say however, is that the utter dependency on alcohol is a very Irish problem. Someone made a great point earlier in this thread about "why is there such a need to be drunk at a gig". Totally agree with this. Why the need to keep drinking during gigs? The most annoying thing for me is people going to and from the bar, pushing past crowds, disturbing people, spilling drinks and getting annoyed when their drink is spilled. And that's not even getting into how people behave when drunk. I love a pint, or 10, but I have my pints before and after the gig. Never during. For 1.5 hours, just lay off the drink.

Advertisement