Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Netflix Ratings

• 31-01-2018 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭

I watch Netflix through an LG smart TV. I've noticed that the ratings I see seem completely wrong. I'll generally make a list using anything 4* or more, but have come across some woeful rubbish altogether.

We rented a holiday home recently and the owner had their Netflix installed. I spotted that so many films and programmes that my Netflix had as almost 5 stars, were 1-3 stars on his. Not his ratings in yellow, but the Netflix ratings in red.

Any idea why my TV might be getting me to watch rubbish? It also asks me to log in now every time which is a pain. I thought maybe it might need a download of a newer version of the app, but I cant see any option to.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Netflix hasn't had star ratings in over a year. But either way, both the old star ratings and the newer (and honestly clearer) percent match system are personalised to your viewing and rating; so items that were rated 4 stars, didn’t mean the average of all ratings was 4 stars, but rather it meant that Netflix thought that (based on your viewing habits/ratings as well as other people's ratings) you’d rate the item as 4 stars.

So the star suggestions were what Netflix thought you'd rate it. Confusing, so they got rid of it and did a simple thumbs up/down system with a percent match score for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Netflix hasn't had star ratings in over a year. But either way, both the old star ratings and the newer (and honestly clearer) percent match system are personalised to your viewing and rating; so items that were rated 4 stars, didn’t mean the average of all ratings was 4 stars, but rather it meant that Netflix thought that (based on your viewing habits/ratings as well as other people's ratings) you’d rate the item as 4 stars.

So the star suggestions were what Netflix thought you'd rate it. Confusing, so they got rid of it and did a simple thumbs up/down system with a percent match score for you.

All those cockney hooligan films I watched years ago have messed it up for good then :-/

I'll have to try updating the app somehow then - thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

All those cockney hooligan films I watched years ago have messed it up for good then :-/

I'll have to try updating the app somehow then - thanks.
    Go through and start giving thumbs up to stuff you liked and down to what you didn't like. It's a good algorithm in fairness and responds fairly quickly to both new ratings and what you're currently "into".

A faster alternative if you just can't wait; follow the steps/recommendations here: https://www.howtogeek.com/295952/how-to-get-better-netflix-recommendations/

Advertisement