Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not in current job anymore, what to say to new recruiter?

Options
  • 31-01-2018 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hello. I need some honest advice for someone very close to me. I'll call him Joe. He applied to a job while he was in a job but a few weeks later he left his current job of 3 months for personal reasons. He had been applying to other companies before he left.
    The recruiter that has offered him an interview is unaware of the fact that he left his current job. How can you tell the recruiter you left your current job recently? Or do you avoid mentioning it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

I think if it were me I would consider touching base with the recruiter as soon as possible - say a couple of days before the face to face to 'update them on my current employment status' of to provide an updated CV.

In the email I would (if possible) mention my reason for leaving a role held so briefly, ideally with a closing line that indicates the issue that caused you to leave is no longer an issue - 'I left my previous role to look after a very sick relative. They are now well on their way to recovery and no longer need my time and attention.'

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Probably best be honest, since the employment is on the cv already it can’t be avoided.
    Will “Joe” be able to get a reference from this recent employment. As a recruiter it would be a flag that it ended so abruptly and I wouldn’t be satisfied without getting a reference from this employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thank you very much for the replies! Would it not be too late to contact the employer if the interview is next week?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

I would disagree totally. Without an interview or a job offer it is no business if interviewer where your friend works. Just go for interview

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Thank you very much for the replies! Would it not be too late to contact the employer if the interview is next week?

It wouldn't be beyond reason to provide an 'updated cv' - its going to be addressed at the face to face anyhow. I figure its best not to have a moment where the interviewer says - 'So, you're currently working for X doing Y' and your friend has to be 'eh, no. About that......'

They have to correct them / be on the back-foot from the get-go. Not a positive IMO.

At least if everyone is on the same page before the interview the conversation is more: 'So you were working in X, but for a very short time. Can you tell me about that....'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

I'd try and save face if I was in this kind of situation. Maybe say you took redundancy from the job before the last one and say the three month role was temporary.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thank you for your kind replies. Its can be so difficult what to do coming up to interviews with the situation Joe is in. Very much appreciated.

Advertisement