Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No feedback following interview.

Options
  • 31-01-2018 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Not quite sure how to approach the situation I find myself in and whether I should just let it go, so I thought that I'd ask for some advice on this forum.

I applied for a senior level position in an Irish organisation at the beginning of December last year. A member of the HR team contacted me a few days later and I received an invitation to interview with the organisation at that point. Over the course of the next month, I attended a number of interviews for the role, three to be exact. The final interview took place at the end of the first week in January. The HR team member present, noted that it was the final stage of the interview process and that they would be in touch with me in the coming days. Days and weeks passed without any contact from the HR team. On reaching the two week mark, I decided to drop the HR person a quick mail, stating that it was lovely to meet with them etc and that I'd really appreciate any feedback when available. Still no sign of any feedback from them.

How long should I wait before dropping them another mail or should I just forget about it? I'd love to get some sort of feedback from the interview process, good or bad because it could prove to be very valuable to me going forward. Should I expect some form of feedback from them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭screamer

Do you mean you just did the last interview a week ago? If that's the case, leave it. It can often be weeks to a month before they get back to you especially if the company is on a recruitment drive. Whilst companies are not obliged to give you feedback, they are obliged to furnish you with any notes taken during the interview process and you can ask for those to glean feedback. However two caveats here - wait until you know for sure that you're not being offered a role. - I would advise against seeking those interview notes if you think you will ever apply to that company again.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

No, the final interview took place at the beginning of January. I waited two weeks after that to send my reminder mail. Are they legally obliged to provide me with the interview notes? Never knew that. I won't be applying for a role with them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

I'd be inclined to give it a bit more time - another week or so - before asking for another update - if no reply - request those notes.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Sometimes things get delayed. The HR person running the hiring of the position may be on leave or may have been temporary diverted to another task.
    They could be waiting for the department to fire up budget to hire.

I’d sit tight and not seem too needy or impatient. It’s orobabky just as frustrating on the hiring manager who needs headcount.

Will do, thanks for the feedback. Just want to clarify that they are obliged to provide me with a copy of the interview notes if I request them? What action can I take if they refuse to do so?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Will do, thanks for the feedback. Just want to clarify that they are obliged to provide me with a copy of the interview notes if I request them? What action can I take if they refuse to do so?

In the event you dont get the position you should ask for interview feedback rather than sending in an FOI request, its a bit of a blunt tool for the job and I'd be confident it would stop any chances of you getting a further interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

It wouldn't be foi. It would be data protection. Could easily be refused as part of decision making process is grounds for exclusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭screamer

amtc wrote: »
    It wouldn't be foi. It would be data protection. Could easily be refused as part of decision making process is grounds for exclusion.
    Nope they have to provide any notes they have. Data protection aside, interviewees are entitled to them and organisations have to provide them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Esse85

They are most likely in negotiations with another candidate and until that is complete, then they will inform the other applicants of the outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

I had an interview before Christmas -mid Dec.

Got an email back last week saying that I hadn't been successful.

I've also had a call for an interview six months after applying for a job...

If you've dropped them a line, which is what I would have done, and haven't heard back, then I'd presume that they'll be back in touch to say that I wasn't successful.

Then again, things can get delayed

Ask for the notes when you hear back

• Advertisement

Got word this morning, in the form of a very short email, that I was not successful with my application. Said that they were very impressed with me as a candidate. Thanked them and I have asked for some more feedback. Will see how that goes.

Advertisement