Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rathsallagh Golf Club

Options
  • 31-01-2018 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭

I was planning on playing Rathsallagh Golf Club this year around June sometime. I have never played the course before but have heard great things about it, but that was quiet sometime ago. The course has since closed down and reopened. Can anyone tell me if the course is still as good as it was?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭allybhoy

I played it around october and have played it a good few times over the years. Course was in perfect nick.. its back open some time now (2016 i think) Smashing course
    Kevin Markham wrote an article about it also..

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/golf/rathsallagh-golf-course-is-rebooted-and-rerouted-459665.html

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭thewobbler

One of my favourite parklands. They resisted the temptation to ply it full of water, bunkers and excessive yardage. So, apart from a couple of longish hikes to tee boxes, it plays more like a classic parkland than a modern championship course.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭bmay529

Rathsallagh is a great course and a fine challenge. I played it a couple of times last year and found it in good condition though the ground was a bit soft on one occasion after a period of prolonged wet weather. Definately worth a visit with good offers available for 2 green fees + buggy. Ask for Mick. A buggy is a good idea unless you are up for a good walk. I think there have been some changes around the 2nd hole since I was there last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Running Balance

Lovely course - not played it recently - even the setting is pretty sweet

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭BOB81

An excellent parkland with a lot of memorable holes - played it a couple of times since it re-opened and its been in good nick. They are planning on changing the routing of the course as far as I know (and the current 7th - par 3 over water - will have a new tee and completely different approach angle to the green) but I'm not sure if this is complete yet. The only thing I would say against it as a members weekly course is it tends to be quite a long round (just my experience), as the course is spread out over a big area and there's a fair bit of walking between holes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭tigerwood1

The old 10th,11th,12th,13th,14th & 15th holes are now the 1st,2nd,3rd,4th,5th and 6th, the 7th is the old 6th. The 1st, 8th and 9th,16th,17th,18 is as was:confused:. The old 7th par 3 green now the 11th has a new tee box from a different direction reducing the walk from old 1st to 2nd.
    a lot of work has being done in the last twelve months definitely well worth a visit if never played before.

Back in Ireland this weekend and hoping to get out there Monday - weather permitting..

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Sean_pop

That is great to hear.

I am really looking forward to playing there this year:)

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Sean_pop

Back in Ireland this weekend and hoping to get out there Monday - weather permitting..

Did you play the course yesterday after?

If so, how did you find it?

Sean_pop wrote:
    If so, how did you find it?

Sean_pop wrote:
    Did you play the course yesterday after?

Unfortunately not sean, was stuck for time and ended up playing the pga - frost inspection didn't help.

Which was in pretty good nick..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Irishdaywalker

I am playing Rathsallagh this coming Saturday, This course is an absolute gem, with excellent variety of well designed holes! I heard the old 10th is now the 1st . . I think that is a welcome change with the putting / chipping green located nearby and not the "minor" trek to the old 1st. Always enjoyed the round of golf at Rathsallagh & hopefully the weather plays ball for Saturday !

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭bmay529

Rathsallagh is a fine track and well worth a visit. I havn't played it since recent changes so am interested to hear the old 10th (a tough hole) is now the first and look forward to paying a visit soon to check out the changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

I played there a few weeks ago. Super course with a few nice changes.

The old 10th is now the first and a very tough opener. Index 1 I believe it was.

Also the long walk between the old 1st and 2nd hole has been filled with a par 3. This was the old par 3 that was the 7th. You now hit a short iron into that long green from a height before moving onto the long old 2nd hole now the 12th.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Has anyone played Rathsallagh lately? I played it for the first time in years over the weekend and while the course looked fantastic, the greens and fairways were in great nick. The rough was cut almost unplayable long? It made for painfully slow rounds, because if one or two players from a group found the rough from the tee, there's an awful lot of time wasted just going back and forth looking for your ball.

Advertisement