Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with ESB Networks

Options
  • 31-01-2018 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

Hi All -

Recently had house re-wired - its an old house that had a number of small apartments.

Putting it back to one family home.

It had 3 x single phase supplies.

Electrician has rewired all and says that we need one 3 phase meter to finish everything off. Wiring all back to the existing, internal meter box.

ESB Networks have been out and sent me some information which includes a quote for approx 600 euro for the new meter.

But - they have also included information about specifications for an external, steel cased meter box and also for external wiring standards etc..

My question is, is this information sent as standard in case it applies or does this suggest that they want us to move the meter box outside?

If the latter, I simply cannot afford this right now, so what's the implication to do nothing i.e. leave it as it is? Or is there anyone to appeal to as we simply just want a 3 phase meter, in the same location as the existing one (internal) to replace the old meters that were there.

I would like to be better informed before approaching them with questions so any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks,

BJones

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

3 phase metering is done via a set of CT meters hence the need for a bigger cabinet. Sounds like your electrician is trying to make life handier for you and him to keep the existing 3 phase arrangement.
    3 phase supply is unusual in a domestic situation and I don’t know if your aware or not but the tariffs are higher leading to bigger bills. Best bet is to talk to your electrician and see what’s involved with converting the entire installation back to single phase supply

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Luckysasha wrote: »
    3 phase metering is done via a set of CT meters hence the need for a bigger cabinet.

I got the ESB to install a 3 phase meter in the past and it did not have CTs. A larger supply would have required CT metering. Not sure if this is still the case but I would imagine it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Agree with lucky Sasha that your electrician may be trying to make life easier (I don’t know your total load or whether or not you’ve more than 1 electric shower)
    It’s quite possible that a single phase meter would be adequate and could be installed in the current location
    This is a relatively simple procedure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

2011 wrote: »
    I got the ESB to install a 3 phase meter in the past and it did not have CTs. A larger supply would have required CT metering. Not sure if this is still the case but I would imagine it is.

Anything over 80A per phase is metered via CTs now. Unless you specifically request a 60A per phase max demand supply then its standardized as a whole current metering job.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Luckysasha wrote: »
    Anything over 80A per phase is metered via CTs now.

So not everything, that was my point.
    Unless you specifically request a 60A per phase max demand supply then its standardized as a whole current metering job.

I can’t remember the size but I know I requested a supply that was sized to suit the load + a bit extra for future. This was about 20 years ago and it has remained unchanged ever since with no CTs. This was for a farm yard with sheds and a milking parlor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kurtainsider

It's very unusual for a domestic supply to be 3 phase. Is there a particular reason that it needs to be 3 phase? You won't need CT's in a domestic supply - that's for sure.

Advertisement