Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Email problems having upgraded to Microsoft Outlook

Options
  • 31-01-2018 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

I have just got a new PC and am trying to Migrate from Windows Live Mail to Outlook. I have a @eircom.net email address as I am a former Eir customer but am now a Vodafone customer (my ISP).

I initially set up my Outlook account as an IMAP account but couldn’t get connected to the Eircom incoming server but I could send via the outgoing Vodafone server. I then deleted the IMAP account and set up a POP account. Now I can access the incoming Eircom server but can’t access the outgoing Vodafone server. It seems crazy that I could access the Vodafone outgoing server with the IMAP account but can’t with the POP account and similarly I can now access the Eircom incoming server with a POP account but couldn’t with the IMAP account. As you can probably guess, I’m not a techo person but for goodness sake what’s going on here - what am I missing?

I am using the following settings:
    POP3 mail1.eircom.net - Port 110
    SMTP: mail.vodafone.ie - Port 25
    I have tried disabling SSL etc - nothing seems to work.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Sending is nothing to do with Eir as SMTP only cares about the ISP. It's probably just set to the wrong authentication mode would be my guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭mcardler

I’ve tried all the different authentication modes but it still doesn’t connect.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

A quick check to perform is google "what is my IP", then put the result into https://www.whois.com.au/whois/ip.html and make sure it says Vodafone.

Assuming thats correct, others have had issues with their server before, see here for an example:
    https://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057812080

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭mcardler

Yes. My ISP is Vodafone and I still can't connect to the SMTP server using a POP account

Advertisement