Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Received infraction notice in Work & Jobs

Options
  • 31-01-2018 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭

I received an infraction notice for a post I made in the thread:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=105988552

I made a post that was then responded to by a particular user who posted 3 times in order to elicit a response from me. I ignored the first 2 posts, but after the third I submitted a post that listed out other threads where the poster had made abusive comments.

I received an infraction for this.

I see the 3rd posting by the user has been removed, but the first two still remain:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=105987909&postcount=6

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=105988552&postcount=13

In the first posting, the user has checked my profile and seen that I've posted about contracting and then linked my post to those posts in an attempt to troll me.

In the second posting, the user again has tried to belittle me by saying I've limited experience by working with "small Irish companies".

The user has shown themselves to be "charming" in many other threads, hence my rather reserved response (which I was given an infraction for).

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

As discussed via PM Davy will handle this DRP as CMod and thank you for notifying him of the DRP.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I received an infraction for this.
    The user has shown themselves to be "charming" in many other threads, hence my rather reserved response (which I was given an infraction for).

Hi St1mpMeister,

I have looked at all the posts in the thread including the deleted ones and I fail to see why you dispute this infraction.

Its nothing to do with the other poster but awarded for your actions. Not that it matter's but the other poster on the thread also received an infraction.
    You have admitted to being lead into the response and worthy of the infraction in my eyes.

On top of that, I can see from the reported posts, you only reported the posts in the thread AFTER you received the infraction. In future report a post if you have a problem and dont respond to it for your own sake.

Please acknowledge if this can be marked resolved, otherwise if you still dispute this infraction an Admin can review this decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭St1mpMeister

Sure that's fine. I'll accept it's resolved if the two other posts I mentioned can be removed please as they didn't aid the conversation and were in effect trolling.

Sure that's fine. I'll accept it's resolved if the two other posts I mentioned can be removed please as they didn't aid the conversation and were in effect trolling.

Apologies, I forgot to post back to you.

I dont think the other posts should be removed, as a general rule posts are not removed without good reason.
    It also doesn't change the fact that you responded to them when you shouldn't have and should have reported them instead.

OK then I can't acknowledge this as resolved as I don't see how my post was regarded as aggressive in comparison.

He had searched through my boards activity and identified other topics I had posted about, then construed a rationale for why I might be posting in this particular topic in an attempt to publicly berate me.

My post simply reflected what he had done in that I referred to other posts he had made in an attempt to define why he was posting in that fashion. i.e. his general posting style was to be abusive toward other posters.

Perhaps both of our posts were worthy of removal, hence why removing my post should also require the removal of the other posts, or at least the one referring to my contracting queries which had absolutely no relevance to the topic we were discussing.

• Advertisement

I'd also please like clarification on what specifically in my post warranted an infraction rather than simply mod removal. Thanks.

I'd also please like clarification on what specifically in my post warranted an infraction rather than simply mod removal. Thanks.

Hi St1mpMeister,

Apologies for not getting back to you earlier, I thought this was closed when you said accepted in your previous post.

As I stated in my original reply you shouldn't have posted in the first place rather than the content of what you posted.

If you really want an example, quote below from your post would never be a good thing to post in any thread. One of the main rules of boards is to comment on the post and not the poster.

or more likely you were banned for trolling and opened a new account, but you certainly seem to have a chip on your shoulder judging by your general demeanour on other threads.

Can this be marked resolved?

Hi, I think the infraction has expired anyway ?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Hi, I think the infraction has expired anyway ?
    The time limit attaching to them is simply a way of totting up. Users who incur a lot of cards over a short period will be automatically site-banned

The infraction remains on your record and can be seen by Mods, CMods an Admins, and could be a factor when considering future actions. A successful appeal here would remove that record

Right well I think the comment that triggered the infraction was relatively minor compared to some comments that go unnoticed on this site.

My comment was factual in a lot of ways. The guy clearly had a chip on his shoulder as demonstrated by his demeanour on other threads.

I wasn't attacking the user, but rather pointing out how they need to behave themselves in a social environment like boards.ie. They need to realise that there is a person on the other side of the keyboard.

My response was measured compared to the 3 or 4 posts they had put up directed at me, so I think the infraction in this case was a bit unfair and a warning would have sufficed.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement