Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway City Forum

Options
  • 31-01-2018 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭

Comments were made, in the recent After Hours feedback thread, that the Galway forum was a shadow of it's former self & very quiet.

As a long term Boards user & Galway City forum poster I have to say that it's been allowed to become, at times, so nasty & cliquey. I reported a post recently, the first in a long time, as we were encouraged again to do so in the After Hours thread.

For example in this short thread:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057831103

We have:

There's always one.

Checkmate.

Oh god, there's another one

Meow.

As four individual posts.

And again here:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057825445&page=3

Flooding got to your keyboard by the looks of it.

Can you spell "climate change "?

The last few pages of this thread and snarky comments like this are the main reason why I and so many others avoid this forum. (Got 15 thanks)

Burn!

Take a look at any of the transport threads & they can be even worse.

From the charter

Be nice and helpful.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Hi - thanks for reporting the posts. That's a very valuable channel for providing feedback to mods.

You also have the option of contacting the mods directly, or even the Regional CMods. I'd really recommend doing that so that your opinion is bought to their attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

This illustrates the need for forum feedback threads. I am a very experienced Boards user but newer people aren't going to send PMs to different people. Surely, even here, the Mods & other forum users should be able to comment. After all I may be in the minority even though several people have commented about the tone of the forum.

I seem to recall a forum feedback a few years ago but maybe I am wrong.

We do plan to discuss how Feedback works, but for now only you can post in this thread, plus members of the Admin & HQ teams.

The Boards approach always has been to encourage posters and mods to resolve or address matters together. Hence the suggestion to contact Mods or CMods. The forums are communities and it’s far better if matters can be addressed in the communities rather than a big stick descending from on high.

I’ll flag this thread to the Regional CMods so that they are aware of the matter.

dudara wrote: »
    We do plan to discuss how Feedback works, but for now only you can post in this thread, plus members of the Admin & HQ teams.

The Boards approach always has been to encourage posters and mods to resolve or address matters together. Hence the suggestion to contact Mods or CMods. The forums are communities and it’s far better if matters can be addressed in the communities rather than a big stick descending from on high.

I’ll flag this thread to the Regional CMods so that they are aware of the matter.

Thanks. So surely it would be better if the individual fora had feedback threads ? Then, for example, posters could express an opinion without feeling that they are making a fuss & standing out.

The recent After Hours thread shows that posters are far more willing to comment if they feel part of a group.

Edit: One concern would be that forums can easily form cliques where the rules are bent for certain users.

I personally think overall the idea of forum feedback threads is a good idea. Some forums already do adopt that policy and I think it shows a solid sense of community.

• Advertisement

dudara wrote: »
    I personally think overall the idea of forum feedback threads is a good idea. Some forums already do adopt that policy and I think it shows a solid sense of community.

I remember when, after some problems, a mod was appointed to a forum to try & improve it. He was, & still is, one of the greats & he immediately started a feedback thread & encouraged comment. Lots of people posted that had never voiced opinions before because they finally felt that they could. It didn't turn into a ban fest just like the After Hours one didn't either. It feels like the present system hides opinions in PMs. It's feels like Boards are trying to keep it contained.

The Galway forum used to be so different. We even had beers. :) It's clear that people are being allowed to criticise posters rather than their posts. I don't think that we can just rely on the report post function. The forum is so quiet & with five Mods it should be easy to spot bad posting.

Advertisement