Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fishing in Galway

Options
  • 31-01-2018 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hello everyone,
    I will be on holidays from the 3rd to the 10th March in Galway and I would like to know if someone could give me some advice regarding trout and pike fishing (with lures) in this area? I know that the lough Corrib/Mask are pretty well known for trout fishing and we don't need any fishing permit to fish these 2 lakes.
    I will bring my float-tube with me in order to better fish the lakes and I release all the fish that I catch ;).
    Thank you in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Hello everyone,
    I will be on holidays from the 3rd to the 10th March in Galway and I would like to know if someone could give me some advice regarding trout and pike fishing (with lures) in this area? I know that the lough Corrib/Mask are pretty well known for trout fishing and we don't need any fishing permit to fish these 2 lakes.
    I will bring my float-tube with me in order to better fish the lakes and I release all the fish that I catch ;).
    Thank you in advance :)

Bear in mind these are vast, open stretches of water. On a windy day it would be hard to make any headway in a float tube and depending on wind direction, you would be at risk of a very long drift to the far shore and no way back. Waves can get very large in the open water on both lakes too. I would stick to sheltered bays like Ballycurrin, Ballynalty, Kennys, Salthouse on the eastern side - prevailing SW winds won't drive you offshore then. On Mask, Cushlough and Caher bays would be safe and sheltered. All the above bays would be good for both trout and pike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

I don’t know about pike fishing season but as far as I know trout season doesn’t open till March 17th?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Blondie919 wrote: »
    I don’t know about pike fishing season but as far as I know trout season doesn’t open till March 17th?

Trout season on Corrib opens on February 15th

Advertisement