Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

D15 policing thread

Options
  • 27-01-2018 9:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭

MOD NOTE: This thread is for discussion of the merits or otherwise of policing in the Dublin 15 area by An Garda Siochana.
    Feel free to discuss your own experiences good, bad or indifferent regarding the quality of the work locally by AGS.

Keep it civil & factual, don't identify individual members of the force and be careful about ongoing cases that they are not prejudiced by anything you say here. Posting photos/videos in which alleged criminals can be clearly identified wont be allowed. Follow any further guidance by the mods as the thread progresses.

Pal wrote: »
    where the fcuk are the Gardai because these idiots never seem to stop ?

This is the common theme to most of the incidents in this thread...

When I talk to people from other areas of Dublin they seem to get a much faster response from their Garda stations. I don't think I remember ever seeing a fast response from Blanch. It's a frequent complaint at our residents association.

Lots of burgulary being reported lately especially of bicycles

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

beauf wrote: »
    This is the common theme to most of the incidents in this thread...

When I talk to people from other areas of Dublin they seem to get a much faster response from their Garda stations. I don't think I remember ever seeing a fast response from Blanch. It's a frequent complaint at our residents association.

Lots of burgulary being reported lately especially of bicycles

That's down to the way resources were managed in the station.I recently spoke to a detective based in blanch station who told me the former man in charge there handed back allocated resources and funding year after year.

He was more concerned with balancing the books than policing.The guy I spoke to says things have much improved internally and we should be seeing this over the coming year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Saw a bit more activity on the beat and patrols with Leo a new job. But that's all faded away.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭septictank

Lad on Joe Duffy, telling his story about his break in Castleknock.

https://www.facebook.com/peter.murtagh1

Full story here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭donaghs

septictank wrote: »

Full story here.

Careful now, we don't want to hear any more bad news here! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

septictank wrote: »

Full story here.
    And the reg was seen a few years prior under suspicious circumstances.
    From the article in independent.ie it sounded like he hadn't gotten any info back from the Gardai.
    "We've got witnesses, we've got descriptions, we've got number plates that match the van... but it's Monday now and we haven't had much feedback."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭AAD

As I have said previously on this thread, if he's waiting on someone from Blanchardstown station to get back to him he will be waiting a long time indeed.

My wife car was stolen and the response I got from the station was "we have more to be dealing with than going out looking for stolen cars" I had to go to the station to get a crime number for insurance reasons and to this day I still haven't been asked for any kind of statement of the circumstances around the theft.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I reported a stolen bike to blanch gardai about 4 years ago. There’d been a spate of robberies outside the spar at carpenterstown - same culprit. CCTV footage as well. All over a few weeks.

It was like I was annoying the gardai by reporting it. A torn corner of a scrap piece of paper to take my details didn’t inspire confidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭angryIreGamer

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    I reported a stolen bike to blanch gardai about 4 years ago. There’d been a spate of robberies outside the spar at carpenterstown - same culprit. CCTV footage as well. All over a few weeks.

It was like I was annoying the gardai by reporting it. A torn corner of a scrap piece of paper to take my details didn’t inspire confidence.

did you report to ombudsman? what was the response to the consistent poor policing in the D15 area?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 darcey1971

The torn piece of paper sounds familiar...Maybe the savings on stationary are being used to fund the reopening of Stepaside Station?

Our Christmas was destroyed this year by a guy, off his face, kicking in our front door and trying to kick in our front room window at 6.10am on Dec 27th. My husband was on the phone to the Garda downstairs while I tried to keep two young children calm upstairs and record him on my phone from my bedroom window. The noise of him kicking the door was so loud that the operator could hear him on the phone. We were terrorised in our own home. This went on for about 10-15 minutes with him roaring threats about killing me and burning the house down. My children still mention the 'bad man' returning and are afraid going to bed, over a month later.

Police arrived just as the guy had staggered off, didn't show any concern about how we were, asked to see the footage, where you can see the guys face etc, and asked me to WhatsApp him the video. We gave him a piece of paper and a pen, he took our names and numbers and said he would be in touch.

That was it. Nothing. Not even an acknowledgement of receiving the footage. No statement, no PULSE number, nothing.
    The guy that terrorised us probably doesn't even remember what he did, but it will stay with us for a very long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭exador

My House was consistently been targeted over a period of about 18 months. I had a good idea who it was and can only think the reason was that I had reported him for something he had done. He had a grudge against me and house was attacked randomly in early hours. I had to eventually call to Blanch station as I either could not get through or was told that someone would call back. When a Politician called to the door canvassing I brought it up with him. After ticking a few boxes I got a few standard letters to acknowledge that this was on record. I eventually got it to stop by using an alternative method but have no doubt it would still be happening had I not.
    Living in the area for 24 years and never had any problems or need to call the Gardaí... Disappointed with the lack of response or interest to say the least.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

At our residence association meeting every year there is a litany of similar stories.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

posts moved from Neighbourhood watch thread to here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

Corduff shops

Sitting in car, usual crap effort of parking hits car, herself and I have seen it, driver says no I didn't and off into shops
    Took pictures of mine/her car. reg, insurance etc discs
    Rang guards and waited and waited
    Someone comes from estate beside shops with keys and gets into car and off they went
    Call guards again(almost an hour at this stage), we are busy but come down if you want to report it

Go down to guards, report it, then turn their attention to me moreso than what happened, didn't know I HAD to keep letter from insurance disc, was told get one or points/ E50 fine(E20 or so to reissue fee from 123)

Then I REALLY wasn't letting this go, kept at the guards and again I was more the issue than the person who hit me, got the usual attitude, lied to about when the guard who was dealing with it was in, told something about registered to different house and sure we cant find them

Eventually gave up, left out of pocket and mark on car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

jeffk wrote: »
    Corduff shops

Sitting in car, usual crap effort of parking hits car, herself and I have seen it, driver says no I didn't and off into shops
    Took pictures of mine/her car. reg, insurance etc discs
    Rang guards and waited and waited
    Someone comes from estate beside shops with keys and gets into car and off they went
    Call guards again(almost an hour at this stage), we are busy but come down if you want to report it

Go down to guards, report it, then turn their attention to me moreso than what happened, didn't know I HAD to keep letter from insurance disc, was told get one or points/ E50 fine(E20 or so to reissue fee from 123)

Then I REALLY wasn't letting this go, kept at the guards and again I was more the issue than the person who hit me, got the usual attitude, lied to about when the guard who was dealing with it was in, told something about registered to different house and sure we cant find them

Eventually gave up, left out of pocket and mark on car

Did the insurance company not send someone out to assess damage?

January wrote:
    Did the insurance company not send someone out to assess damage?

Turns out they get insurance by direct debit and cancel and keep disc, that took some effort to find out

The place that deal with uninsured drivers etc didn't want to know and keep saying about police,who really didn't want to know

Then I did see with place my insurance suggested,500 or so with 200 excess,said you're OK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Ugh. ****ers and the police should have been interested in the driving without insurance and using a disc fraudulently.

January wrote:
    Ugh. ****ers and the police should have been interested in the driving without insurance and using a disc fraudulently.

Plus photographic proof of this

Was easier to get me over no letter as was standing in front of them

Advertisement