Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxing Tractor: Need Advice

Options
  • 31-01-2018 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

hi just looking for a bit of help with regards to taxing my tractor. I recently bought a JD 2040s from a lad who had it for a few years but never bothered taxing it. The last name on the taxbook is some lad in Cavan from 2003. I rang the tax office up and to get it taxed in my name ive to send the last owner this RF200 form (like a reciept) would i be alright in getting the person who i bought it from to fill it out or would i have to find this lad in Cavan. has anyone had anything similar ? How strict are they on the forms ? could i just fill it in meself without them knowing ? Some hardship just to pay 55 euro.
    any help would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Is it not in your name?

If you change ownership you should now have logbook in your name and then tax it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Turkey7530

Is it not in your name?

If you change ownership you should now have logbook in your name and then tax it.

ive just bought it within the last month so im getting it put in my name, but the tax office said ive to bring in some sort of reciept from the lad i bought it off

• Registered Users Posts: 18,554 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I’d wait till change of ownership goes through and you have the tax book.

Then you don’t need any other messing about.

Shouldn’t take more than a week or two unless there is some funny business going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Turkey7530 wrote: »
    ive just bought it within the last month so im getting it put in my name, but the tax office said ive to bring in some sort of reciept from the lad i bought it off

The RF200 form is the transfer of ownership form for vehicles registered before 1993?

As in, what you would have to use if there isn't a book you can sign to transfer ownership? Sounds to me like whoever you spoke to might be a bit confused. I think there are cases where there are still old style logbooks where the transfer of ownership isn't on the book. If you've filled out that bit on the logbook and sent it off you shouldn't need an RF200?

If you're waiting for the new book in your name just wait till you have that and bring it to the tax office.

(unless it somehow works significantly different for tractors than cars in which case I'm sorry)

Did you sign logbook and put your address in or were you told by seller they would?

Is it a dealer you bought off if it is they need to sort it for you which they can by applying for a replacement as they have codes to do so.

Let seller do all the work.

Get a copy of receipt of sale and show if stopped while driving without tax on a public road.

It's Garda discretion in these cases so they could well take it.

• Advertisement

_Brian wrote: »
    I’d wait till change of ownership goes through and you have the tax book.

Then you don’t need any other messing about.

Shouldn’t take more than a week or two unless there is some funny business going on.

i actaully have the taxbook though and the last persons name on it was in cavan.

what im wondering is would i get away with just putting the person who i bought it offs details or will i have to go to the bother of finding this chap in Cavan

So fill out the back and send change of ownership to Shannon Freepost the address should be on it.

How old is the tractor?

Is it the brown book?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭keepalive213

I'm guessing you'd have to forge someone's signature, not sure anyone here is gonna advise you to do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Turkey7530 wrote: »
    ive just bought it within the last month so im getting it put in my name,

How are you 'getting it put in your name' though? Cause that's done either by signing and sending off the book, or by signing and sending off the RF200?

If it's not by signing and sending off the book you'll need to do the RF200.
    I wouldn't bother trying to find the guy who's name is on the book but get the seller to fill it out and sign it. The other guy could be long dead or moved, or left the country or, or etc. etc.

Don't be forging anyone's signature, there's hardly any chance anything would come of it but if it does it's a headache you don't want.

If you get the seller to sign the RF200 together with that and the receipt you'll be covered.

Least that's how I've always done it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭tom_k

This https://www.motortax.ie/OMT/pdf/RF200_en.pdf is the RF200 form, it needs to be sent to Shannon together with the tax book. However the RF200 should be completed and signed by the last registered owner (Cavan man), as has been stated Cavan man may not be locatable or uncooperative. Some lads have been known to be creative with this kind of thing which is not what I'm suggesting.

I have a vague recollection that the Dept of Transport had a procedure for dealing with cases like this involving the signing of affidavits etc.

In any case, make sure that the serial number on the brown book matches the serial no. on the tractor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,554 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I'm guessing you'd have to forge someone's signature, not sure anyone here is gonna advise you to do that.

I’ve done it.
    Be grand

Thanks for the advice, I bought the tractor off a farmer who just had it in the yard and never bothered taxing it, even if I just had the lads number I’d be grand, I could just put that and his address on the form

But that is some bitta bother 🙄

Advertisement