Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a Graduate Visa but not with USIT/Sayit/etc

Options
  • 31-01-2018 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

Hey,

I'm looking at moving to New York on a graduate visa for a year or so within the next couple of months. I've done a J1 before in Chicago and went with Sayit but found they didn't care about the process and just wanted my money. Has anyone ever gone about getting a similar kind of visa by themselves? If so, how? Would I be saving any money by going about it myself? USIT want around €2,700 for a year long graduate visa.

Thanks in advance,

Ian

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 gg1993

Do not go with USIT!! 

The Irish International Immigrant Center seem to be the best group to go with.They are cheaper then USIT and other companies and they offer more support both in looking for an internship and settling in.

To be honest I would not recommend getting a graduate visa,I have heard some great success stories but over all a lot of people struggle to find an approved internship and even when they do get one the pay and conditions are not great.

I am in the US on this visa at the moment so if you have any other questions at all I would be happy to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭ianofitz

Thanks GG1993.

Who did you go with, the immigration centre? If so, how much? You said I shouldn't get a grad visa, what other visa can I get there on legally?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 gg1993

I went with USIT but i have met people who went with immigration center and it seems to be a much better setup.As far as i know there is no other visa that will allow you to work in the US.
    Pros:
    You have 90 days to find a position once you get to the US.
    Cons:
    A lot of companies are confused and apprehensive about the visa,most companies have never heard of it.
    It is a slow process,if you are lucky enough to get a position with a company that will fill out a training plan for you the whole process can take nearly 3 weeks. 
    * The one bit of advice I would give you would be to research companies that have taken irish interns before this will make things easier as they will know how the whole process works.

Advertisement