Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland 2040 plan "will kill rural Ireland"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Rural ireland wouldnt be so expensive to maintain if councils used proper good quality matterials on roads...take for example the suir bridge in Thurles. Only repaired a few yrs back and it needs to be redone.. never saw it so bad

As for government helping rural ireland and SMEs , for decades local businness supplied food for the garda collage due to the management fall out these businesses who were innoncent parties in the mess found out this week they have lost these contracts... thats a blow to many towns in north tipp where there isnt a lot going on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

pilly wrote: »
    Can I ask what DU is?

Dublin underground. It’s probably the most needed and useful but also the most expensive of the things mooted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭hurler32

Fine Gael are no friend of Rural Ireland , closing so many rural Garda stations was the death knell for many parts .

As Fine Gael well know there has never been as many traveller gangs involved in burglary so closing most rural Garda stations has given the burglars a free hand and ended up driving the elderly and anyone living alone into nursing homes or abandoning their homes altogether to live with relations in the city. Unless your a large dairy farmer it's hard to know how anyone in rural Ireland votes Fine Gael .

Alan Shatter has a lot to answer for .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Consonata

Rural ireland wouldnt be so expensive to maintain if councils used proper good quality matterials on roads...take for example the suir bridge in Thurles. Only repaired a few yrs back and it needs to be redone.. never saw it so bad

A lot of that is to do with the sort of vehicles travelling over that though no? Speaking from experience, I grew up in the countryside and saw plenty of tractors and vans pulling heavy loads over roads nearby, ruining it in half the time of the nearby main road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Consonata wrote: »
    A lot of that is to do with the sort of vehicles travelling over that though no? Speaking from experience, I grew up in the countryside and saw plenty of tractors and vans pulling heavy loads over roads nearby, ruining it in half the time of the nearby main

Type of traffic is nothing different to other bridges in the area. This is something shocking.it was redone in recent years and have heard a number people who work in contruction state its the quality of materials that were used. Its now almost structurally unsafe and one side of town will be cut of again from the square.in 30 something years ive never seen it that bad. Typicall half arsed job..do it right the 1stvtime would save money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Consonata wrote: »
    A lot of that is to do with the sort of vehicles travelling over that though no? Speaking from experience, I grew up in the countryside and saw plenty of tractors and vans pulling heavy loads over roads nearby, ruining it in half the time of the nearby main

Type of traffic is nothing different to other bridges in the area. This is something shocking.it was redone in recent years and have heard a number people who work in contruction state its the quality of materials that were used. Its now almost structurally unsafe and one side of town will be cut of again from the square.in 30 something years ive never seen it that bad.

Ireland 2040 won't change that.

It looks reasonably balanced to me so far though hard to tell without all the details.

A lot of positives in there for Dublin with metro etc

7bn for rural roads is great to see and badly needed
    The M20 badly needed so good
    1bn for town rejuvination another good one
    1bn for flood prevention etc another vital one
    Money to further develop the greenways which is great for tourism.

Interesting that only about 50% of housing is planned to be built in existing cities, towns and villages which is quite different to what some were thinking I would guess - without the details though it's hard to know what they actually mean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭plodder

marno21 wrote: »
    Going back to the topic at hand, has anyone seen a time for when this will be published?
    2pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

markodaly wrote: »
    * Luas extensions to Bray, Finglas, Lucan and Poolbeg - Finglas would be the only one I support there, Luas is grand when moving small distances but to Bray? **** off!

Bray is too a large distance for who?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Bray is too a large distance for who?

I didn't get that comment either? It's like they would be forcing people to go to Bray or something? What?

Either way, the Luas anywhere is a much faster and more comfortable journey than a bus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

0080006.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭roadmaster

We're upgrading the green line to metro standard... And then putting more trams further out beyond the M50. What about metro outside the M50. You couldn't make it up.

The Lucan alignment will be interesting. And not good interesting. If it dog legs at Ballyfermot to head down the Kylemore Road to join the red line either at the Naas Road or down the canal to join the red line at black horse you can keep it.

It needs to get directly into town and hit Heuston via Con Colbert and John's Road.

If you go out St Johns Road will it be wide enough or will something have to give either the bus lanes or banning private cars and make it public transport only?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,884 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

pilly wrote: »
    I didn't get that comment either? It's like they would be forcing people to go to Bray or something? What?

Either way, the Luas anywhere is a much faster and more comfortable journey than a bus.

Not sure about your latter comment.

The 145 gives the LUAS a good run for its money from Cherrywood to the city centre and have you seen the crush loadings on the LUAS at peak times? It is FAR from comfortable. On the bus the majority of people have a seat.

roadmaster wrote: »
    If you go out St Johns Road will it be wide enough or will something have to give either the bus lanes or banning private cars and make it public transport only?

Ban cars it is so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Nermal

The Lucan alignment will be interesting. And not good interesting. If it dog legs at Ballyfermot to head down the Kylemore Road to join the red line either at the Naas Road or down the canal to join the red line at black horse you can keep it.

Where's the road space for that? Turning off the Kylemore Road at Kylemore Way and joining at Blackhorse would not be THAT bad. It would be a bit crazy to go over a not insignificant hill to meet at the Naas road at an already crazy junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

So the announcement seems to have pleased, some what, both sides? Well I never! Just waiting for more details now I suppose. Still see it as a 'keep us in government until we get the 2040 plan done' then in 2038 they will land with the 2060 plan and so it goes on.

Nermal wrote: »
    Where's the road space for that? Turning off the Kylemore Road at Kylemore Way and joining at Blackhorse would not be THAT bad. It would be a bit crazy to go over a not insignificant hill to meet at the Naas road at an already crazy junction.

The hill as in the bridge at Labre Park over the Grand Canal? It's not the steepest of gradients for starters. Hardly insurmountable.

Agree with the Kylemore Way sentiment as I have previously posted.

Anything that removes a direct route to the city reduces the effectiveness of the system in totality. So to go all the way to the Naas Road (which is part of the old Line F plans) would render the whole extension useless.

Imagine coming in from Lucan for it to get about 4km from Heuston (at Ballyfermot Rd/Kylemore Rd junction)to suddenly add on nearly 2km of track to join a line at a point that's 5km and from Heuston. From any POV that is madness.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,936 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

jmayo wrote: »
    They travel further at a quicker pace, not crawling along in traffic.

Travelling at a faster pace, creates more pollutants then stopped in traffic. Also again people in rural Ireland travel significantly further and tend more to have dirty diesels then petrols which you find more of in cities.

Another point for you. In Dublin City center only 20% of people get their by car. 80% get their by walking, cycling or public transport. That is a massive reduction in pollution created.
    And auto shutoff is only a new thing on newer cars and hybrids a fair few will argue are more a drain on the environment through their manufacturer.

Oh ffs, hybrids and EV's are VASTLY cleaner then dirty Diesels, even taking into account their manufacture. That nonsense was spread by oil companies and has been thoroughly debunked! :rolleyes:
    So all those dirty old buses, all those cars crawling along in traffic are not contributing pollution to the environment in the cities ?

Of course they are. But Diesel cars are doing far more milage in rural Ireland and then their are serious issues with smokey coal adding to pollution, which is banned in urban areas.

BTW We don't have "dirty old buses" in Dublin, Dublin Buses bus fleet is relatively young and modern and at this stage the majority of them are using modern, clean Euro 5 engines.

Interestingly a Dublin Bus is actually producing less NOX and particulate pollution then a Volkswagen Golf sitting next to it! And no, I don't mean per passenger, I mean vehicle versus vehicle. The reason is that the emission rules for trucks and buses are WAY more strict then for cars (see the whole Dieselgate thing) Which means a typical Diesel car is actually more polluting then a bus!! And that is before you consider that the bus is carrying 90 people or so, per passenger, buses are one of the cleanest forms of transport we have.

Because buses are so much larger and more expensive (about 400k a pop) it is much easier to put large, complicated and expensive filtration systems in them then it is to put it in a small Diesel car.
    BTW I find it a bit incongruous that you are a mod of the commuting and transport forum when you don't commute to work or don't it appears use public transport.
    Hell you are like that guy in charge of Dublin traffic system that just uses a bike. :rolleyes:

I don't know, maybe because walking and cycling are absolutely forms of commuting and transport :rolleyes:

And of course I also frequently use Dublin Bus, Luas, DART and intercity buses to get around. The fact I don't have a car means I actually have to use them to get around. I probably have a broader range of experience of using public transport in Dublin and Cork then most people have.

As an example, today I took a DB bus into town, then took an intercity bus to Cork and then took a BE city bus in Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Any chance of a fresh thread to discuss the plan as it hits our screens in about 7 minutes.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Any chance of a fresh thread to discuss the plan as it hits our screens in about 7 minutes.

Even just change the name so that it isn't so inflammatory, seeing as the "kill rural Ireland" part was based solely on guesses and gossip.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Discuss the Planning Framework and its associated Investment/Development Plan here:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057842159

Roads in Roads forum,.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Never mind 'rural' Ireland, what about proper national parks and forests?

Ireland has the lowest forest cover of all European countries, according to Teagasc. IUFRO have it as the 2nd lowest in Europe, not great for the 'green' isle.

Forests are critical as habitats and also ecosystem services such as carbon sinking and flood reduction. May even help to boost tourism and improve health.

If one is really concerned with green targets, fresh air and biodiversity, plant some trees (well, a lot of trees).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Ireland has the lowest forest cover of all European countries, according to Teagasc. IUFRO have it as the 2nd lowest in Europe, not great for the 'green' isle.

Forests are critical as habitats and also ecosystem services such as carbon sinking and flood reduction. May even help to boost tourism and improve health.

If one is really concerned with green targets, fresh air and biodiversity, plant some trees (well, a lot of trees).

If we covered Ireland from top to bottom in trees how much effect would it have one carbon sinking on a global scale

I'd love forests but let's not pretend we're making a difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Wasn't that proven to be very bad for the natural bogland in Scotland?
    https://video.nationalgeographic.com/video/magazine/170411-ngm-scottish-moors-forsinard-climate-change-peat-bog-scotland

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Pixel Eater

Typical row back on one-off housing: the draft version of the plan would have all but banned them but now they now they can be allowed if the applicant can prove an 'economic or social need.'

Could go two ways: either it's a meaningless clause that won't be enforced or it'll technically allow them but is so restrictive that very few are actually built. Hopefully the latter but at least there is going to be more restrictions on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,833 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I would have thought that Cork - Limerick axis would be the counter balance. There are two international airports, a soon to be built motorway, plenty of space, two universities plus other further education facilities.

But do not forget the motorway - that is needed now!

Looks like they agreed with you!!

"Dublin is Ireland’s globally competitive city of scale and continues to drive much of the growth of the country as a whole. Cork is emerging as an international centre of scale and is well placed to complement Dublin, but requires significantly accelerated and urban-focused growth to more fully achieve this role."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,441 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

75% of population growth 'should be' outside of Dublin..

facepalm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

lawred2 wrote: »
    75% of population growth 'should be' outside of Dublin..

facepalm
    When you read that at the start you know the plan is a crock.

hmmm wrote: »
    When you read that at the start you know the plan is a crock.

*Ireland 2040: Dublin now reaches to Mullingar*

Also I think I heard Micheal Martin name check Granard and Edgeworthstown on the RTE 1 o clock news today.

I mean....... WHAT

• Advertisement

bk wrote: »
    Travelling at a faster pace, creates more pollutants then stopped in traffic.

That I would be slow to bet on, cars are terribly inefficient in slow moving traffic and when idling.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement