Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leopards in Syria

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

An high interest post that writ by a non-England speaker, fore sure - I'm still trying to get my head around 'disembogued'.

The Turks seem to be ignoring ALL the lessons of armoured warfare taught by the Master, Heinz Guderian, in WW2. The main point, one of having overwhelming superiority, has been totally ignored, but THE second important point is that they have seriously underestimated the capability of the enemy.

The Leopard had not been trialled in combat before, and now that it has, valuable lessons must be taken on board. No doubt Turkish soldiers have died learning these lessons - always hard to take.

ISIS might be bunch of raggedy-assed slaughtering freaks, but they have some of the very best ATGMs on the planet - it's just a shame that they are still around to use them.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Jcarroll07

I think the Leopards have been seeing action in syria for a while now. As a result been coming up against various ATGM's in the hands of different groups and they seem to have been given a bit of a bloody nose. But its not the only tank to be having problems, nature of the AT weapons these days would make me wonder who in gods name would want to be a tank man. Would never sign up to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

This footage is from an earlier incident involving Kurds and Turkish tanks doesn't bode well for Turkish tactics, another video claims to show them loosing 8 vehicles in quick succession and no clue to what was happening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I'd never read much about it before.

Also on doing some reading seems like the IDF have some success with active countermeasures against ATGMs.

Advertisement