Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCS World 2.5 Released

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Looks incredible! A real shame they don't open this platform up for commercial aviation as well. I'd imagine it wouldn't be that much of a stretch, there are actually less requirements than there are for military

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Skyknight

Cheers for the heads up Nate,
    Looking forward to getting to grips with the Bug on release. :cool: (and the later with the Cat).
    A real shame they don't open this platform up for commercial aviation as well.
    I have on occasion wished the very same thing would happen. I think one of the major problems, as with all sims, is getting both the permission of the (aircraft) manufacturer, so that they have an accurate data source, both for the model and the relevant flight dynamics data, and the fee which they charge for the use of those materials and 'visual likeness'. This as far as I am aware one of the big sticking points with the DCS F-4...and also any other user mod's. As far as I am aware, when ED were building the A-10 for Lockon, they were approached by parties to build a more accurate version of the aircraft. This is more or less the a-10 that is currently available for DCS.
    I think also the map size/detail level is also a factor, which although has been improved, would take up considerable space/ resources using the current graphics engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

There are plans for some non-combat aerobatics aircraft I believe, like the Christen Eagle and Yak-52.

I'd say that's all there will be as far as civilian stuff goes for the near future. I don't think they are taking aim at FSX any time soon.

Nate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Skyknight wrote: »
    Cheers for the heads up Nate,
    Looking forward to getting to grips with the Bug on release. :cool: (and the later with the Cat).

I have on occasion wished the very same thing would happen. I think one of the major problems, as with all sims, is getting both the permission of the (aircraft) manufacturer, so that they have an accurate data source, both for the model and the relevant flight dynamics data, and the fee which they charge for the use of those materials and 'visual likeness'. This as far as I am aware one of the big sticking points with the DCS F-4...and also any other user mod's. As far as I am aware, when ED were building the A-10 for Lockon, they were approached by parties to build a more accurate version of the aircraft. This is more or less the a-10 that is currently available for DCS.
    I think also the map size/detail level is also a factor, which although has been improved, would take up considerable space/ resources using the current graphics engine.

I didn't actually realise that the coverage area was so small. That would be a problem.

I wouldn't worry about the aircraft availability as the fidelity of the aircraft simulations in Prepar3d are outstanding (Flightsim Labs, PMDG, AT2A etc)

Advertisement