Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three tiered Shamrock cake

• 31-01-2018 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭

Hi

Could any experienced bakers give their opinions on this cake I'm thinking of please?

I saw a shamrock cake tin on amazon I was going to buy.

I'm thinking I could make three seperate Victoria sponge's in green, white and orange.
    But I would like the green to taste of mint, the white to taste of vanilla and the orange to taste of yes, orange!

Would Goodalls food colouring and essence work?

I was going to cover it in green buttercream.
    Or Maybe just fresh cream with green in it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 125 ✭✭Leinster1980

ellejay wrote: »
    Hi

Could any experienced bakers give their opinions on this cake I'm thinking of please?

I saw a shamrock cake tin on amazon I was going to buy.

I'm thinking I could make three seperate Victoria sponge's in green, white and orange.
    But I would like the green to taste of mint, the white to taste of vanilla and the orange to taste of yes, orange!

I was going to cover it in green buttercream.
    Or Maybe just fresh cream with green in it.

I’d try use sugar flair coloured pastes, the colour will be much more vibrant with very little of it added. The three different flavours together might be a bit much, would you maybe go for a lime layer rather then mint? Use the zest of the lime for green layer, maybe zest of orange for the orange layer. Stick to a vanilla buttercream for the filling. You can buy the pastes online or there are decobake stands in some suoervalus.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭cbmonstra

ellejay wrote: »

Your cake sounds great, but, just one thing. Ever brushed your teeth, then had a sip of orange juice? Mint and orange don't really go together in my experience.

I would second Leinster1980's suggestion and go with lime for the green layer. Or if you don't want 2 citrus layers, maybe pistachio? Can't imagine the flavour combo for that in my head, but it might work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Pistachio, orange and vanilla is a great flavour combo I've used before, good shout.
    Definitely don't use liquid food colouring, you need to use paste colours - If you use enough liquid food colouring to produce a decent colour payoff, you'll have messed up your batter with too much liquid!
    I like the Wilton ones, bought a full set of colours in Homestore & More a couple of years ago, great value. No idea whether they still stock them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭ellejay

Thanks for the replies, really helpful.
    I didn't think of lime or pastichio.
    Appreciate the tip about using paste colours.

Advertisement