Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Football Bubble. Will It Burst?

2»

Comments

GLaDOS wrote: »
    As if the ESL proponents care about them.

I'm sure native Liverpudlians would be happy to see the Merseyside derby discarded.

Fans that go week in week out have a big say. That's why the ESL would never take off as a replacement for the domestic league.

As a replacement for the champions (lol) league possibly.

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Why the **** would spurs be in a European super league?

Kane scored the most goals in a premier league calendar year. That's more than enough justification.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Reports out this morning that the EPL have not achieved their reserve prices on certain bundles of matches for the 2019-2022 seasons and that they have removed them from auction for now.

Sky are also saying that in the most recent 5 day auction of 2019-2022 fixtures that their price per match has come down from £11.05m in the last rights issue to £9.63m in this one. It means they have secured match rights for 16% less than they did a few years ago.

The latest auction results mean it is the first time in Peter Scudamores 20 year reign as head of the Premier League that he has not beaten the previous auction benchmarks.

So the bubble is not bursting but what has happened is that the growth in TV money available to the EPL has slowed down and rowed back somewhat.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Those unsold bundles seem a bit rubbish though. 2 bundles of 2 days football, where you must show all fixtures live. Probably should've been one bundle of 4 days football, but even then...

I think EPL expect to make more money than previously on international rights sales. Time will tell, I guess. I don't know when they go up for auction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

byte wrote: »
    Those unsold bundles seem a bit rubbish though. 2 bundles of 2 days football, where you must show all fixtures live. Probably should've been one bundle of 4 days football, but even then...

I think EPL expect to make more money than previously on international rights sales. Time will tell, I guess. I don't know when they go up for auction.

The international bidders may reevaluate their planned bids now that they know the EPLs position has been weakened by the drop in the domestic sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

byte wrote: »

There’s different timescales for different markets. The US is a done deal since 2016 up to 2022. China is already sold for 2019-2022. The increase in the value of the Chinese deal on its own nearly covers the fall in domestic revenue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,049 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Kane scored the most goals in a premier league calendar year. That's more than enough justification.

???

I think when it comes to deciding which teams get into a ESL, the fact that you have one player banging them in might not be enough.

Advertisement