Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Further Study in Autism

Options
  • 31-01-2018 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi, I'm a primary school teacher and I also have training in Play Therapy & Psychotherapy. I work with children with autism and also volunteer with the Special Olympics so this is where my passion lies. I wanted to move away from classroom teaching so I am currently working as a tutor for children with autistic spectrum disorder with the Department of Education but unfortunately this is not a very satisfactory way of life because of huge gaps between pay periods, no sick or holiday pay and lack of support from a union. I am very interested in pursuing further study in the field of autism but I am finding it very difficult to find any masters or specific courses in this field. I did however stumble upon the Graduate Certificate in Autism Studies in Mary Immaculate College and I am wondering if anyone on this has done that course? Did you enjoy it? What are the career prospects? I have come up with other ideas but am struggling to decide what is the best route to take to work with children with ASD...Applied Behaviour Analysist? Educational/Developmental Psychologist? Occupational Therapist? Speech and Language Therapist? Any ideas, insights or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks in advance :)

Advertisement