Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I’ve overpaid PAYE and USC in 2017. How do I get a refund?

• 31-01-2018 10:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭

I wasn’t working for 2 months towards the end of last year so I’ve overpaid tax. Going by the online tax calculators I should be getting 1,200 back.

But how the hell do I go about this? It is not clear in the slightest.

Idiot proof guide to doing this would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Request a P21 Balancing Statement. You can either call them up or do it online through myAccount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Request a P21 Balancing Statement. You can either call them up or do it online through myAccount.

I’ve requested that now online. What’s the next step once I get that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,351 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

If you have overpaid the cheque will accompany the statement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,577 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Chivito550 wrote: »
    I’ve requested that now online. What’s the next step once I get that?
    Revenue review your tax payments for the year(s) requested and issue a balancing statement for each year requested. If there is tax overpaid you should receive a cheque very shortly (within a week or two) after that. They might have changed to electronic funds transfer by now - unfortunately it's a while since I was in the lucky position of getting anything back from revenue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭circular flexing

ELM327 wrote: »
    If you have overpaid the cheque will accompany the statement

They will transfer direct to bank account if you give them the details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,351 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

They will transfer direct to bank account if you give them the details.
    Yes but if you don't give them your bank details - because you don't want to make their job easier if theres a repeat of the water tax fiasco - they will send a cheque!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭jus_tin4

So I just noticed on my P60 that it looks like payroll never paid my usc... now i have to find my payslips to see if that correct... but is that my fault for not noticing no usc was being paid? Im kind expecting revenue to cop this and charge my tax cridits for it.. but is there anything i can do?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 decky84

Chivito550 wrote: »
    I wasn’t working for 2 months towards the end of last year so I’ve overpaid tax. Going by the online tax calculators I should be getting 1,200 back.

But how the hell do I go about this? It is not clear in the slightest.

Idiot proof guide to doing this would be much appreciated.

Gimme a pm.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

If you haven't registered for myAccount on revenue.ie already, then you should. Once you have that out of the way, you'll receive login in details within a few days. That's if you haven't registered of course.

If you have an account already, login and look for the following.

440999.JPG

441000.JPG

You need to request your P21 for last year. You can do the same for previous years as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Have received my refund now. Thanks for the advice all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

jus_tin4 wrote: »
    So I just noticed on my P60 that it looks like payroll never paid my usc... now i have to find my payslips to see if that correct... but is that my fault for not noticing no usc was being paid? Im kind expecting revenue to cop this and charge my tax cridits for it.. but is there anything i can do?

So, there is an onus on everyone to review their tax credit cert when a new one is issued by Revenue... but let's be honest, none of us really do it, we usually just compare the difference in net pay to our last pay cheque anytime there is a change; which works so so for employees with consistent earnings, but not for others with variable amounts.

Your payroll department can only pay you based on what your cert shows and if it said Nil USC then that's what you pay. It is not their responsibility to review or challenge the contents of the cert. Now a nice payroll person, who has good attention to detail, and is not completely overworked, might flag something like this as strange and that you should investigate it.

So unless your total gross income was less than 13000 for the year, you are liable for some USC, and they can come looking for it. (Reduced rates for those over 70, or on medical card, providing you don't have high income).

Check your tax credit cert for last year and see what it said. If according to the cert you should have been paying USC and payroll didn't deduct it, ask them about it (this will likely trigger you having to pay, but your employer should be willing to pay up front on your behalf, and accommodate deductions over time from your salary as this was their mistake).

If not, well don't do a Form 12 or request a P21 unless your sure you are owed refunds to offset, or until you are in a position to pay. In any case start putting aside some money now for if/when it might be discovered. And if you are contacted by revenue in relation to it, much as we all doubt it, they are humans, talk to them about a staged repayment plan. :-)

Advertisement