Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exchanging old £1 coins

• 31-01-2018 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I'm travelling to Scotland next week and I've some left over pound sterling coins (old version), which aren't accepted over there since last October. Does anyone know if I could exchange them over there or would the banks here change them to the new pound?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,080 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Most banks there will exchange them for new type...
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/4658600/old-pound-coins-swap-bank-exchange-bank-barclays-lloyds-hsbc-rbs-santander/

Banks here will not accept them, they won't accept any foreign coins.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 meeemsd

I think you have to have an account with the banks in the UK in order to exchange the old coins for the new ones.

You can exchange them in Post Offices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,326 ✭✭✭✭endacl

You can throw them in the charity boxes in the airport in Scotland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

That's a pretty sweeping generalisation which does not stand up when you read the detail in that article...

Barclays confirmed that their customers can continue to deposit their old £1 coins into their personal and business accounts.

Lloyds Banking Group - which includes Lloyds, Halifax and Bank of Scotland - said it has "no plans to stop accepting" old £1 coins from customers.

The bank's business and personal customers can continue to deposit old £1 "indefinitely" into their Santander accounts after the Royal Mint's deadline.

Brits banking with NatWest and RBS will be able to deposit and exchange their round pounds coins for the "foreseeable future".

In all cases, I'm getting the feeling you wont be able to simply walk in and exchange old for new across the counter.

• Advertisement
Advertisement