Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dangerous - cycling in Dublin City Centre

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,083 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Just because I've haven't really cycled at all since I was a kid. :o
    I think Bambaata means people who do cycle them.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭onmebike

Bambaata wrote: »
    I can never see why people are fearful of the quays! I cycle them everyday and find them some of the safest streets to cycle, especially now since the change in car/cycle lanes

I would say people fearful of the north quays are either the cyclists who don't cycle sensibly around buses etc. - trying to undertake them when approaching a stop and the like - and people who see some cyclists doing this kind of very risky behaviour. Cycle sensibly and I think it's a great stretch of road. I haven't been on it since the cycle lane changes though.

The south quays aren't my cup of tea. It's rare that I go this way, but the lack of bus lane for large portions of it (Aston Quay onwards), speeding and, as mentioned above, the manic lane swapping makes it a fairly hostile environment. If it was to be a regular commute, I think I'd design an alternative route. An extra minute or two is an easy pay off for a more comfortable experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

After 8 pages I still don't know what to make of cycling in Dublin CC!

I've been thinking of cycling to work myself. From Chapelizod to around the IFSC. One thing that makes me nervous is the crazy traffic (bikes, cars, buses, lorries) on the Quays from Heuston all the way down. And then the traffic on the way home in the evening.

North side quays is fine.

South side is ok too except for the last bit.
    You can just dismount and walk across the junction at heuston.

Takes a couple of weeks to get used to it.

onmebike wrote: »
    ...If it was to be a regular commute, I think I'd design an alternative route. An extra minute or two is an easy pay off for a more comfortable experience.

I've never found a useful alternative to the south quays. I tried but they are all a lot longer and more hassle. Real pity they didnt put a cycle lane along the Luas.

You could always go up to kilmanham and down the canal if you want a different but longer route. Or the royal canal then cut across the park. Both a lot longer but if it's a cycle you want to do for exercise....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

onmebike wrote: »
    I would say people fearful of the north quays are either the cyclists who don't cycle sensibly around buses etc. - trying to undertake them when approaching a stop and the like - and people who see some cyclists doing this kind of very risky behaviour. Cycle sensibly and I think it's a great stretch of road. I haven't been on it since the cycle lane changes though.

Agreed. I cycle (part of) the north quays daily and it's almost a daily occurrence to see cyclists undertake vehicles (mostly buses) that are clearly pulling in, overtake vehicles (again mostly buses) that are clearly pulling out, etc. In quite a few cases I'd already stopped behind the pulling in/out vehicle but one or more people on bikes went left or right of me in their rush to throw themselves into, or under, harm's way.

I can't understand whether they are simply oblivious to the dangers they create for themselves, or whether they know but expect the world to bend and shape itself around them (which it usually does, for the most part).

As with anything, basic awareness is enough to keep yourself safe. As you approach a side road you watch for people that might turn in or out without indicating, as you approach a junction you watch for random lane changing, if a bus passes you as you approach a bus stop you anticipate that it might pull in in front of you, etc. There is no mystery or magic to it, it's no different to what we should be doing when driving or walking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Cyclists with vast experience of city centre cycling telling a newbie it's grand is kinda like an experienced hurler telling an American it's fine once you get stuck in; neither are wrong but it's not really getting through

• Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

ford2600 wrote: »
    Cyclists with vast experience of city centre cycling telling a newbie it's grand is kinda like an experienced hurler telling an American it's fine once you get stuck in; neither are wrong but it's not really getting through

Yeah, I don't think I'm even aware of all the little tricks, especially of anticipation, that I've built up over the years. I mean, I and plenty of other people here have 100,000 or 200,000 km of road cycling experience built up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yep (not that i have 200k km under my belt), but i like to think i can look at a section of road and figure out the best approach to take in terms of cycling it - but asking someone not confident on a bike to do the same is a bit much.

we live in D9 and my wife works in the city centre. fairly direct route through phibsborough. she won't cycle; she's seen enough poor behaviour to not want to place herself in amongst it on a bike.

ford2600 wrote: »

Besides which a lot cycling is finding a good route.
    If you don't like junction or road, go a different way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Yeah, and have a look at a map. Well, that's what I do. I find it helpful, though you can't always tell whether a particular street is navigable, you at least can list the options and then try them on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

beauf wrote: »
    . Real pity they didnt put a cycle lane along the Luas.

I've used the Luas line to travel between Connolly and Heuston occasionally. Handy enough. Is there a problem with using it as a commute route?

You're not meant to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Oh I know that...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

cdaly_ wrote: »
    I've used the Luas line to travel between Connolly and Heuston occasionally. Handy enough. Is there a problem with using it as a commute route?

Just watch out for that big train thingy.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,068 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

You're not meant to use it.
    Someone should tell that to all the drivers who drive in the tram-only sections at Spencer Dock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

South side is ok too except for the last bit.
    You can just dismount and walk across the junction at heuston.

Takes a couple of weeks to get used to it.
    Take the lane...third lane from the left. Takes balls, and can be quite intimidating, but it's the best way.

Advertisement