Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lunch Box Idea's

Options
  • 01-02-2018 2:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭

Looking for some help for lunches in work...

So i will generally eat anything, not fussy at all...i like my food.

I need to get my lunches sorted, can't be doing Subway/Noodle Bar/Tesco Lunch Deal anymore.

I sometimes do a batch cook for a few lunches, i did that today, but i still need quick to assemble lunch ideas...that aren't sandwiches, typically find myself unsatisfied by a sambo at lunch, and then go for a pack of tayto's or chocolate which would be grand if i wasn't a stone over weight:o

Any ideas out there, for easy to assemble lunches that will satisfy and i could put together in afap.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

Have you access to a freezer? If you have a microwave in work you can make big batches of soup and freeze them individually. One of my favourites is black bean soup.

Quinoa or couscous salads are nice. Add lots of roast veggies, some feta cheese, pumpkin seeds, bit of chorizo. Also pasta salad but more salad than pasta.

Google Buddha bowls. They are nice and can be made with stuff in the fridge and you could use any of the salads above as a base for them.

I also bring leftovers from dinner a nice bit. I don’t mind re heating stir fry, pasta etc.

I do think the hardest part of making interesting lunches is having the food on hand. So some pre planning that incorporates some of your dinner elements into lunches is very handy. I also often have things like black beans cooked and frozen so I can throw a handful into a burrito bowl. For example if your are making fajitas for dinner, add some extra veggies to bulk it out. Put aside a portion for lunch and use that as the basis for a burrito bowl the next day. Add some salad leaves, black beans, salsa/hot sauce and lunch is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Try bringing popcorn with you. If you get peckish after lunch it's filling, and has a lot fewer calories than a bag of crisps.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I like the cooked salmon you can buy in the supermarket, a good protein base makes packed lunches easy. Add whatever salad veges you like, and a grain if you wish, like couscous, quinoa, whatever. Some legumes, herbs, green leaves. It's a good template that allows variety and very little prep.

You can cook your grains / lentils at the start of the week, and chop up your veges. Store in the fridge and pack some each day along with the salmon or whatever protein you like.

Bring along an apple or mixed nuts in case of panic hunger (I usually snack on an apple just after work). Protein, fibre and some fats will fill you up in a good healthy way.

Salmon or tuna, red pepper, brown lentils, rocket leaves for example.

You can make dressings if you wish, keep in a small container at work, add just before you eat.

Homemade soups are also great, I bring mine in a red plastic microwaveable mug which has a lid on top.

Some oat cakes and hummous or cheese are good too.

By the way, freekeh is my current favourite grain. A bit pricey, but a little goes a long way. Add some pumpkin seeds and dried fruit.

A simple tomato and lentil soup is cheap, healthy and delicious. I live on the stuff.

Onion, grated carrot, garlic, sautéed in a little olive oil. Add can of tomatoes and red lentils, water or stock. Add a bay leaf and simmer for a while. Blend or part blend (take out the bay leaf first). A squeeze of lemon. Make a big pot and freeze in portions.

You can build on this template, I like to bring it in an Indian direction with cumin, mustard seeds, curry leaves and asofetida.

A slice of brown bread with this and you're sorted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement