Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watching 3D Movies on Big Screen

Options
  • 01-02-2018 6:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭

For those who don’t know, BigScreen is a free app on steam that places you in a virtual cinema allowing you to share anything on your desktop on the big screen, and invite people to watch that content in your cinema.

I have found the 3D effect in VR to be amazing, and it doesn’t have the drawback of darkening the image like 3D Glasses do.

So if any boardies would like to join me watching 3D Movies in VR in the coming weeks, I could host a private session where I stream my desktop in 1080p.

I need to get a Blu-ray Drive first so If anyone has one spare, or one going cheap let me know, wether it’s internal, external or a laptop BD-ROM Drive.

I have been using the “To 3D Or Not 3D” review section of Cinema Blend as a reference for the best 3D Movies to get.

So far I have ordered Avatar, Tron, Prometheus, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, Coraline, Paranorman, I Robot (meant to be poor in 3D) and Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter. All these were in a bundle hence I Robot!

I’m also willing to do documentaries.

If anyone is interested let me know on the thread.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭pcuser

Depending on what time of the day or night It is I would be up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,740 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Doge wrote: »
    So if any boardies would like to join me watching 3D Movies in VR in the coming weeks, I could host a private session where I stream my desktop in 1080p.

Can we watch 3D streamed from your PC, I wonder how effective it is vs watching directly on a local BluRay?

I've got Blade Runner 2049 due for arrival on BluRay next week, gonna stick it in the PSVR first thing, even though I have a decent Samsung 3D TV.

Want to relive that IMAX experience :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Doge

mrcheez wrote: »
    Can we watch 3D streamed from your PC, I wonder how effective it is vs watching directly on a local BluRay?

I've got Blade Runner 2049 due for arrival on BluRay next week, gonna stick it in the PSVR first thing, even though I have a decent Samsung 3D TV.

Want to relive that IMAX experience :)

Yup! I just hit the side by side option which joins the two halves together for all to see.

I’ve already tested it in a public room and they loved it.

They said it was pretty crisp and the frame rate was good. Probably a bit lossy compared to watching it on a source pc I’d imagine but not enough to ruin the experience.

Okay I’ve gone a bit mad and ordered loads more 3D Blu-ray, all under £10 each, all new and sealed.

I’ve also taken a punt on This BD-ROM combo drive from dell for €4.81 delivered!

http://www.dell.com/en-ie/shop/dell-serial-ata-dvd-rw-bd-rom-combo-drive/apd/631-abki/storage-drives-media

It appears to be a kit for a server, and the description doesn’t mention blu Ray so I’m taking a gamble, but at that price I couldn’t resist.

Woah what? BluRay on PC for €5?

• Advertisement

Woah what? BluRay on PC for €5?

I have my doubts about it, it might be a mistake in the description.

If it’s for a server it’s probably like an internal optical drive in a laptop, and will require a slimline sata to USB adapter but also could have a propiterary connector which I wouldn’t be able to connect to a pc.

For that price though I said I’d take a risk and see.

Currently I’m getting poor tracking in Big Screen, possibly because I installed a new nvidia graphics driver today. And I can’t seem to force ASW / 45 FPS in the app so the frame rate keeps fluctuating.

Edit: A restart sorted it, always restart after installing drivers!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I watched Dr Strange in 3D through Bigscreen and was suitably impressed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭ozmo

I have a number of 3D films I've somehow aquired over the years (random stuff like Spiderman 3D and Bloody Valentine and a lots others) - never been able watch any of them -

what would be the mininum hardware I would need to join you guys
    I've got a very decent PC with working blueray...
    no vr gear yet - just lots of Google Cardboard type 3D viewers if thats a possibility...

“Roll it back”

ozmo wrote: »
    what would be the mininum hardware I would need to join you guys
    I've got a very decent PC with working blueray...
    no vr gear yet - just lots of Google Cardboard type 3D viewers if thats a possibility...

Check out Trinus VR , it's software the let's you use your smart phone as a a Rift or Vive I think.

https://www.trinusvirtualreality.com

Was at an American friend's place today and they had this vintage stereoscopic 3D Viewer that lets you see photographs in 3D!

A strange coincidence considering this thread!

The photos they had for it were vintage too. It's just like Side By Side videos except it's 2 of the same pictures side by side with an adjustment to one so you get a sense of depth. And glass lenses that probably diffract the image.

Quite an amazing invention back then and probably the birth of stereoscopic 3D and VR!

• Advertisement

Heh cool I had a ViewMaster (as shown in the video) with ET reels back in the aul 80s

Same concept I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭smokingman

I played a 3d bluray of Valerian and the city of a thousand thingies and.....yes, I'll be getting more of that

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

I've a fair bit of 3D stuff. Just don't ask where I got it from ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,421 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

might actually now use the Blu-Ray drive I installed way back in 2011 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Was at an American friend's place today and they had this vintage stereoscopic 3D Viewer that lets you see photographs in 3D!

A strange coincidence considering this thread!

The photos they had for it were vintage too. It's just like Side By Side videos except it's 2 of the same pictures side by side with an adjustment to one so you get a sense of depth. And glass lenses that probably diffract the image.

Quite an amazing invention back then and probably the birth of stereoscopic 3D and VR!

theres a VR version of one of these yokes on Steam

So im running a session until late tonight if anyone wants to watch 3D Documentaries, just paste in this room ID in Join a Room:

rroom-dsaqes1q

I will notify people each time in the Sessions thread here:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057837804

The room ID changed!

Here is the current room ID:

room-dsaqes1q

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/VRBoarsdsies
    (created this as it might make steam based multiplayer stuff a little easier )

Just had another idea there. This would be awesome for watching E3 live and twitch streams like Games Done Quick.

I always wanted to watch E3 live in a Bar somewhere and have a chat with people about the demos they just watched.

Now we can do it with the power of the internet and virtual reality!

Kinda surprised U2 haven't jumped on the chance to be the first to include VR tickets for their performances.

An extra source of income I don't think they would flinch at!

• Advertisement

Kinda surprised U2 haven't jumped on the chance to be the first to include VR tickets for their performances.

An extra source of income I don't think they would flinch at!

You going to pop in for a while?
    Its lonely on here waiting for people to join! ;)

You going to pop in for a while?
    Its lonely on here waiting for people to join! ;)

No can do, not at home this wkend :/

Reasons like this I need the Oculus Go... will take that baby with me everywhere ;)

Thanks to Dr. Bob for popping in this evening. Seemed to work flawlessly on his end.

Hope we get more numbers next time, I guess the best way to do it is to set a date and time.

Any 3D movie/documentary requests for an amoral ;) Rift and Bigscreen user who might do the same sometime?

Whats your upload speed Doge? I'm on a 250/25mbit UPC connection

Calibos wrote: »
    Any 3D movie/documentary requests for an amoral ;) Rift and Bigscreen user who might do the same sometime?

Whats your upload speed Doge? I'm on a 250/25mbit UPC connection

Same speed and provider as you!

Same speed and provider as you!

I asked the Bigscreen Dev on reddit about upload bandwidth and number of users. Another guy said it was a sh!tshow with 7 users on his 15mbit upload. Then Darshan the Dev arrived and said that their latest update which went live a few hours beforehand had dramatically improved performance in multi user rooms and that now 7 users on yer mans 15mbit should be smooth as butter. So its lookin good for some movie nights that can accomodate all us boardsie VR regulars should the demand ever be there.

FYI, Amazon are doing a 2 for £18 on Marvel 3D BluRays at the moment: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/promotion/A3A091CU4X4SFD?ref_=plp_pc_dp_imp_A3A091CU4X4SFD

Thinking of picking up "Doctor Strange" and "Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2" for the PSVR

FYI, Amazon are doing a 2 for £18 on Marvel 3D BluRays at the moment: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/promotion/A3A091CU4X4SFD?ref_=plp_pc_dp_imp_A3A091CU4X4SFD

Thinking of picking up "Doctor Strange" and "Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2" for the PSVR

Thanks for that’s, they’re the 2 highest rated on to 3D or not.

Interesting that no new 3D TVs were made in 2017, so hopefully the format isn't discontinued as I think they're great.

Possibly VR will be the only way to view 3D in coming years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

A question, if I may please. I have a Note 5. Is it worth buying a VR headset for it? I'm not into gaming much, but is it worth getting for movies or documentaries - if such things exist for the Note 5?

Advertisement