Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watching 3D Movies on Big Screen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,039 ✭✭✭Doge

Just watched the start of a Turtles Tale and the 3D is very impressive alright!

Had it on for a relative and the bit where the seagull’s beak comes through the screen made them flinch!

I can see why it’s the benchmark for 3D popout now, can’t wait to watch it on BigScreen some night.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Doh!! Silly me. Of course you are correct. Encode once and stream to 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

About to load up Blade Runner 2049 on the Samsung 3D TV... then will compare with PSVR over the weekend

Need to use the TV soundbar first at max vol :pac:

Calibos wrote: »
    You may end up having to rip thiese and re-encode to half sbs 3D format.

Cant believe I overlooked this. Because the PSVR can play a 3d Blu-ray disc directly I assumed it was plug and play on Pc Also but it's not.

Fortunately there is a way to do it without ripping!

https://www.tchapin.com/how-to-watch-3d-blu-ray-movies-on-the-htc-vive-or-oculus-rift-without-having-to-re-encode-the-movie/

mrcheez wrote: »
    About to load up Blade Runner 2049 on the Samsung 3D TV... then will compare with PSVR over the weekend

Need to use the TV soundbar first at max vol :pac:

Let me know how you get on! I've been doing the same with a Turtles tale and it's definitely more in your face and brighter on PSVR.

• Advertisement

Today's haul:

441457.JPG

The 3 documentaries on the left are by jacques cousteau.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

which ones have you tried out and which are worth the buy?

Skerries wrote: »
    which ones have you tried out and which are worth the buy?

Only watched a Turtles Tale: Sammy's adventures fully on the PSVR so far and a little of the Hobbit: an unexpected journey.

The 3D pop out effect is very prominent in a Turtles Tale

The bluray drive for the PC is arriving tomorrow so ill we'll be able to watch them online soon on Bigscreen if all goes to plan.

This is one of the sites that helped me decide on wether or not something is worth watching in 3D:

https://www.cinemablend.com/3d/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Tron Legacy is probably my favourite 3D movie , the Warcraft One is quite good as well

Doge wrote: »
    Only watched a Turtles Tale: Sammy's adventures fully on the PSVR so far and a little of the Hobbit: an unexpected journey.

The 3D pop out effect is very prominent in a Turtles Tale

The bluray drive for the PC is arriving tomorrow so ill we'll be able to watch them online soon on Bigscreen if all goes to plan.

This is one of the sites that helped me decide on wether or not something is worth watching in 3D:

https://www.cinemablend.com/3d/

I'm gonna buy the 2 Marvel ones I mentioned before on Amazon later this week, would you mind having a quick scan of them if you get time this week please? :)

• Advertisement

I'm gonna buy the 2 Marvel ones I mentioned before on Amazon later this week, would you mind having a quick scan of them if you get time this week please? :)

No problem, so basically you want feedback on the 3d effect for "Doctor Strange" and "Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2"?

I'll throw them on there and have a look.

Okay Doctor Strange is a quite dark film so the depth is there but not as pronounced as guardians of the galaxy 2.
    Cinema blend complimented the 3d pop out effect but I thought it was subtle.

The 3d depth really shines at close up scenes, action scenes which use special effects, especially the the battle in London at the start of the movie with the buildings rotating into each other.

In between those it's subtle though.

Guardians of the galaxy 2 is much brighter so I thought the 3d effect was far more prominent. I only did a quick scan as I dont what to spoil the movie, haven't seen it yet, so didn't notice too much of a popout effect but that's not to say it's not there in scenes.

Rogue one I forgot was 3D most of the time whereas I just scanned through the Force Awakens there and happened to land on a scene with a Star Destroyer coming right out of the screen.

Gen 1 Resolution deficiencies and some artifacting in dark scenes be damned, I already love Virtual Cinema but holy jaysus its going to be something else when we have the likes of 4K+ per eye.

Okay Doctor Strange is a quite dark film so the depth is there but not as pronounced as guardians of the galaxy 2.
    Cinema blend complimented the 3d pop out effect but I thought it was subtle.

The 3d depth really shines at close up scenes, action scenes which use special effects, especially the the battle in London at the start of the movie with the buildings rotating into each other.

In between those it's subtle though.

Guardians of the galaxy 2 is much brighter so I thought the 3d effect was far more prominent. I only did a quick scan as I dont what to spoil the movie, haven't seen it yet, so didn't notice too much of a popout effect but that's not to say it's not there in scenes.

Nice one thanks, so worth picking em both up I reckon.

I like the Doctor Strange movie, but haven't seen either of the Guardians movies yet!

Nice one thanks, so worth picking em both up I reckon.

I like the Doctor Strange movie, but haven't seen either of the Guardians movies yet!

Same here. I have the first Guardians of the Galaxy on the way if you want to watch it in BigScreen before watching number 2. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

The first Guardians is great, it's the only Marvel property worth watching now. IMO.

Ordered 'em both there, plus threw in a copy of "The House of Magic" for £6 which is apparently made by the same guys that did Turtle's Tale.

Purely for the pop-outs of course :) .. and the cute kitteh

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00M24YBXE/

such 3d

much depth

pop out effect amaze

wow

So some bad news regarding the cheap laptop Blu-ray drive i bought for £7 from ebay,
    it fails to read blurays, only cds and dvds because the laser must be burnt out.

Also the slimline sata to usb adapter is so short it would be awkward to change discs for 2 disc movies like the Hobbit.

So i decided to order a brand new internal Asus Blu-Ray drive for PC's from memoryC.

If i'm going to go all out on the Blu-Rays I may as well go all out on the Drive that reads them!

F*ck! Disaster has struck with my PC.

Since I built it I had to under clock my RAM speed to 2133mhz even though it was 3000mhz.

Sometimes I was able to clock it to 2800mhz using auto settings in the BIOS but it only booted sometimes, other times it would post into the bios safe mode.

I tried overlooking it by changing timings and voltages based on this tool today:

http://www.overclock.net/forum/13-amd-general/1640919-ryzen-dram-calculator-1-0-0-beta-overclocking-dram-am4.html.

Afterwards blue screens while trying to boot windows, and most of the time now the PC won’t even POST.

I did manage to get get back into windows windows once and launch a game, but now I’m not so lucky. Only just realised RAM priced are through the roof also at the moment. FML! :(

• Advertisement

F*ck! Disaster has struck with my PC.

Since I built it I had to under clock my RAM speed to 2133mhz even though it was 3000mhz.

Sometimes I was able to clock it to 2800mhz using auto settings in the BIOS but it only booted sometimes, other times it would post into the bios safe mode.

I tried overlooking it by changing timings and voltages based on this tool today:

http://www.overclock.net/forum/13-amd-general/1640919-ryzen-dram-calculator-1-0-0-beta-overclocking-dram-am4.html.

Afterwards blue screens while trying to boot windows, and most of the time now the PC won’t even POST.

I did manage to get get back into windows windows once and launch a game, but now I’m not so lucky. Only just realised RAM priced are through the roof also at the moment. FML! :(

Download your motherboards manual and post in the computer forum. Probably just need to reset the bios to defaults or something like that.

Download your motherboards manual and post in the computer forum. Probably just need to reset the bios to defaults or something like that.

I posted a thread in the overclockkng forum.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=441624&stc=1&d=1518548431

It fails to POST even with the CMOS CLR pins shorted now so I’m fearing the worst

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

You don't need to keep the CMOS pin shorted, you just short it once to clear CMOS and then pop it back again. The PC doesnt even need to be on for this to work in my experience. It does sound like you might have at least one dodgy RAM stick. Maybe try removing the CMOS battery for an hour and something I do is to turn my PSU off at the back and hit the power switch on your PC a few times to help discharge capacitors...that last bit could be nonsense but it's something I do for luck :)

Try and prep a bootable memtest USB stick and boot to that instead of windows, testing one stick of RAM at a time

Sounds awful :( best of luck!

I'm just after having to upgrade my motherboard on my PC last month after it randomly stopped working so I feel your pain.

If I had my time back I probably wouldn’t have went for Ryzen. The hassle in getting memory to clock at full speed isn’t worth it, my asus motheboard isn’t the best either for getting it to work.

If I had my time back I probably wouldn’t have went for Ryzen. The hassle in getting memory to clock at full speed isn’t worth it, my asus motheboard isn’t the best either for getting it to work.

I discovered I over spent on 3200 Corsair Dominator Platinum because my Asus Z170-A Skylake mobo is a cheap motherboard apparently. XMP profile for 3200 would fail. I ended up just letting it auto overclock my CPU to 4.6ghz and my ram settled at 2933mhz. Happy enough with that.

ie. Could be the asus mobo's fault instead of the Ryzen platform itself.

I discovered I over spent on 3200 Corsair Dominator Platinum because my Asus Z170-A Skylake mobo is a cheap motherboard apparently. XMP profile for 3200 would fail. I ended up just letting it auto overclock my CPU to 4.6ghz and my ram settled at 2933mhz. Happy enough with that.

ie. Could be the asus mobo's fault instead of the Ryzen platform itself.

Yeah it’s probably the mobo alright. It seems to be overshadowed by sales of the ASUS x370 pro so I bet they’re skimped on the xmp profile compatibility.

I miss the days when ram would run at full speed without any overclocking or messing with timings.

Well looks like we might be back in action!

Managed to boot again today but I'm afraid to shut it down properly in case it doesn't boot again! :P

Let me know how you get on! I've been doing the same with a Turtles tale and it's definitely more in your face and brighter on PSVR.

I tried Blade Runner 2049 there tonight on the PSVR. The depth isn't quite as great as it is on my Samsung TV (which literally looks like there is another world just past the screen that you can reach into) and is more subtle, but where this excels is in LARGE screen mode along with headphones up to the max.

The feeling of being at the IMAX in this situation is uncanny.

The 3D positional audio is incredible, and of course everything is somewhat brighter than the dark version I see on my Samsung.

So 3D visuals are ok (exceptional on TV), but it does add more presence to the film than if I was just watching a 2D version. So get it if you missed seeing Blade Runner 2049 at the cinema.

• Advertisement

The 3d pop out effect in Sammy's adventure was more prominent and in your face on the PSVR than on TV I thought!

If you like the psvr experience wait til you try it on BigScreen on the Rift!

A true cinematic experience!

The Blu-ray drive shipped today also!

Advertisement