Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bag of coal

• 01-02-2018 8:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭

Using quite a bit of coal lately . Local centra is 10.95 a 20kg bag ... throw it into car when I'm getting diesel ..haven't really looked anywhere else ...am I getting value or should I look further afield ?

Comments

Bargain alerts has a gigantic thread on coal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

hurler32 wrote: »
    Using quite a bit of coal lately . Local centra is 10.95 a 20kg bag ... throw it into car when I'm getting diesel ..haven't really looked anywhere else ...am I getting value or should I look further afield ?

I'd have a look in Poland. I heard that's very popular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I’m really happy they are going to try changing the search function. It should result in less odd questions like this appearing in AH. Although I just searched for coal and it appears to be some sort of obsession on Boards with threads everywhere! :eek:

Bargain alerts or bargain alerts requests would be the best place to look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

I picked up a bag of 'stove' coal by mistake the other day. Is there any danger if I used it in an open fire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

I feel like such a grown-up even just reading this thread. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Fann Linn wrote: »
    I picked up a bag of 'stove' coal by mistake the other day. Is there any danger if I used it in an open fire.

Carbon monoxide poisoning, don’t use it in an open fire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Santa brings me mine for free. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,922 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

It's really worth shopping around. I found a coal merchant in Galway selling Ecobrite stove coal for €18 a bag - it's €23 in my local supplier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

A merchant might do a better deal for bulk,five or ten bags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

If you are near a Quinns of baltinglass branch (wicklow kildare, carlow, offaly) they do some great deals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I always wondered why he wanted to keep naughty children warm. Getting them used to the idea of Hell, perhaps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

hmmm there could be a business opportunity here :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

hmmm....I get 5 20kg bags of regular (non smokeless) coal for 35 in the local (Gorey) cash&carry...

I think i'll stick with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I thought you were talking about getting your hole, what a disappointment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭cranefly

Fann Linn wrote: »

You can use stove coal or smokeless coal in an open fire, no big deal, it just does not burn as hot as normal household coal, less harmful to the grate as well. some stove coals may have petroleum coke, that may burn hotter than normal coal and have a blue flame, if that is the case just keep an eye on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭koumi

got a bag of premium ovoid nuggets in tesco earlier, 10kg for 6.99.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

Cash and carry great price. I can get 20kg bag for 15.95 in one local merchant or 5 bags for 85 I think it was. Got it in bulk one year with my sister as a tonne pallet great value but need storage and cash upfront

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I always wondered why he wanted to keep naughty children warm. Getting them used to the idea of Hell, perhaps?

hell.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

20 quid for a 40k bag of Polish coal, bag of logs and sticks of the local coalman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

I find the last 5 or 6 wks the bird na Mona polish coal I've been getting is pure ****e altogether,it's not burning at all,I've a stove and there's no heat out of it lately and when I go to clean it out the next day theres alot of unburned coal like rock ash or something,it must be a bad batch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭mikeecho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

shamrock55 wrote: »
    I find the last 5 or 6 wks the bird na Mona polish coal I've been getting is pure ****e altogether,it's not burning at all,I've a stove and there's no heat out of it lately and when I go to clean it out the next day theres alot of unburned coal like rock ash or something,it must be a bad batch
    Nuggets? Poxy stuff.

Advertisement