Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A new one!

Options
  • 01-02-2018 9:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭

So my commute is half greenway, half country-ish road on the outskirts of a town...this morning a motorbike comes up behind and hoots at me- I salute, thinking it is a moto rider from work who I often meet on the road....but your man (it's not the guy I know) pulls up alongside and starts talking to me muffled through his face guard and I only grasp what he's said after he's taken off.....he said 'those flashing lights are illegal on bikes'.... I have 2 flashing tail lights, nothing fancy just regular Lezyne LEDs....so now the latest issue with cyclists is that we are just too visible....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

One of the amazing things about riding a bike are the amount of people eager to dish out incorrect advice to you because they think they can.

No other mode of transport encounters this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭Macy0161

ericzeking wrote: »
    So my commute is half greenway, half country-ish road on the outskirts of a town...this morning a motorbike comes up behind and hoots at me- I salute, thinking it is a moto rider from work who I often meet on the road....but your man (it's not the guy I know) pulls up alongside and starts talking to me muffled through his face guard and I only grasp what he's said after he's taken off.....he said 'those flashing lights are illegal on bikes'.... I have 2 flashing tail lights, nothing fancy just regular Lezyne LEDs....so now the latest issue with cyclists is that we are just too visible....
    And he was also wrong, as flashers are feckin legal.

I try to take on board the "two wheels good" thing, but I'm having increasing issues with people on motorbikes close/ punishment passing in bus lanes (where they're not technically allowed), and filtering left (and close passing/ attempting to intimidate cyclists) in mandatory cycle lanes. I put it down to more people who would rather be in, or used to commute by, cars getting motorbikes to "beat the traffic".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭ericzeking

seamus wrote: »
    One of the amazing things about riding a bike are the amount of people eager to dish out incorrect advice to you because they think they can.

No other mode of transport encounters this.

It's schoolyard/mob mentality, pick on the most vulnerable or pick on the other.

I believe flashing lights attached to a bike are illegal in the UK, but they are legal here. Maybe that's where his confusion comes from?

apparantly, we're supposed to have a reflector and a bell on the bike at all times as well :o

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Idioteque

In fairness, a small minority of cyclists do have ridiculously blinding flashing lights - usually on the front in my experience, even rarer on the back. Have you ever looked at yours from a distance to see if they are a bit OTT? Or maybe positioned pointing up too much directly at a drivers eyes?

If that's the only person to stop you then maybe he's overly sensitive to the flashing aspect but if more than 1 person has gesticulated at you about them or said something I'd say maybe they are too bright. Obviously it's a bigger effect if your on a pitch black country road vs in the city cycling.

I bought Cube Pro 50's which abide by German regulation on bike lights, they are really bright but are made specifically not to blind other road users.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Thud

Aegir wrote: »
    I believe flashing lights attached to a bike are illegal in the UK, but they are legal here. Maybe that's where his confusion comes from?

you sure on this? See Sense lights are produced in Belfast and they are pretty flashy

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

They were not allowed in the UK or Ireland, but both countries removed that restriction sometime in the last decade.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,418 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

It's only a few years ago that they were made legal over here. Before that we had rules predating modern lights (from 50+ years ago)

I can see there could be confusion over here given the last time many looked at the RoTR was probably when they passed their test. Indeed I've not checked them myself recently and it may be they have not caught up on the change in legislation

Having said that other road users should not be trying to educate us on such matters (and that applies both ways)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I believe flashing lights attached to a bike are illegal in the UK, but they are legal here...
    Illegal in Germany but ok in UK and most other EU countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

I'd take it as a compliment, him thinking you were going so fast he thought you were a motorbike :D

• Advertisement

I believe it was in 2005 this was changed as I recall some debate about it at the time, I don't recall the finer details however :o

I believe it was in 2005 this was changed as I recall some debate about it at the time, I don't recall the finer details however :o
    Much later than that IIRC - around 2012/2013 methinks.

I was likely thinking 2005 for UK

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2005/2559/contents/made was under number 6 in this

Can't see an equivalent one for here at the minute.

Apologies - it was 2009: SI 48/2009
    “42. (1) Subject to sub-article (2), no lamp (other than direction indicators) fitted to a vehicle shall show or be constructed or adapted so as to be capable of showing a flashing light unless such light is invisible to persons outside the vehicle.

(2) This article does not apply to a lamp fitted to a pedal cycle in accordance with article 29.”.

Article 29 of the original 1963 Act:

29. (1) Every pedal cycle shall at all times while ridden, or wheeled by a person on foot, in a public place during lighting-up hours be equipped with and, subject to sub-article (2) of this article, show duly lit a front lamp complying with the provisions of sub-article (3) of this article and a rear lamp complying with the provisions of sub-article (4) of this article.

(2) The requirement in sub-article (1) of this article that the front and rear lamps be shown duly lit shall not apply if and so long as the cycle is stopped in course of traffic or is being wheeled by a person on foot as near as possible to the left hand edge of the roadway.

(3) A front lamp fitted to a cycle shall—

(a) when lit, show to the front of the cycle a white or yellow light visible during lighting-up hours for a reasonable distance,

(b) be fitted on the centre line of the vehicle or to the right of that line,

(c) be fitted so that no part of the illuminated surface of the lamp is more than 5 feet from the ground.

(4) A rear lamp fitted to a cycle shall—

(a) when lit, show to the rear of the cycle a red light visible during lighting-up hours for a reasonable distance,

(b) have an illuminated area of at least 2 square inches and of such a shape that a circle of 1 inch in diameter may be inscribed therein,

(c) be fitted—

(i) on the centre line of the cycle or to the right of that line,

(ii) so that no part of the illuminated surface of the lamp is more than 3 feet or less than 12 inches from the ground,

(iii) so that it is not more than 20 inches from the extreme rear of the cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭shivermetimber

Not illegal at all. One thing I would recommend doing is standing away from your bike at night and checking your lights from a distance in case they are blinding. As both a motorcyclist and occasional cyclist I'm all for being seen but there is a line and blinding lights are far more dangerous then safe. One lad on my commute has a rear led that is near seizure inducing from 15ft, no joke.

seamus wrote: »
    They were not allowed in the UK or Ireland, but both countries removed that restriction sometime in the last decade.

that's why i said believe. i recall being pulled up in the UK for having one. it was ok if attached to the rider, but not the bike for some bizarre reason.

it has obviously changed since then.

Personally, at night I have both. I decent set that is on permanently and a smaller cheaper set that flash.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Steoller

Looks like I need to shift my lights
    (b) be fitted on the centre line of the vehicle or to the right of that line,

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

Not illegal at all. One thing I would recommend doing is standing away from your bike at night and checking your lights from a distance in case they are blinding. As both a motorcyclist and occasional cyclist I'm all for being seen but there is a line and blinding lights are far more dangerous then safe. One lad on my commute has a rear led that is near seizure inducing from 15ft, no joke.
    The light I got was blinding, so I taped over the top 3rd of it, I can still see the main beam ahead perfectly, but now it doesn't blind others. I can also turn it up full now with peace of mind:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,397 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Aren't pedal reflectors still a legal requirement or is that the uk as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭hesker

And where does that leave forward pointing helmet flashing lights. I have one and reckon it improves my visibility significantly.

• Advertisement

hesker wrote: »
    And where does that leave forward pointing helmet flashing lights. I have one and reckon it improves my visibility significantly.
    If it's more that 5 feet off the ground, you'd better get tucked into a TT position if you see a cop! :pac:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Helmet lights are just the worst if they're in any way powerful. They're directed wherever the rider is looking, which often means right in the eyes of oncoming traffic. There's a reason drivers have to dip their lights. I wish some cyclists would realise this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭hesker

Helmet lights are just the worst if they're in any way powerful. They're directed wherever the rider is looking, which often means right in the eyes of oncoming traffic. There's a reason drivers have to dip their lights. I wish some cyclists would realise this.

Well mine isn’t in any way powerful, just a cheap Lidl job, but I love how I can direct it at drivers by turning my head and looking straight at them. Only do this at junctions, mostly roundabouts for traffic coming from my left. I think it really helps to catch their attention without blinding anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Worth pointing out, again, that cyclists are really guessing as we don't have clear and modern lighting standards like they do in Germany. While the narrative remains dominated by "Be Safe Be Seen", I find it hard to blame less informed cyclists that they're lights are too bright. It's a symptom of a lack of standard, and the messages that cyclists are continually subjected to by the RSA, Government and Gardai.

Advertisement