Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DUP MP denies Parachute Regiment flags put up on the anniversary of the tragedy are a

• 01-02-2018 10:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭

Following on from the Kingsmill thread where an MP shockingly put a loaf of bread on his head, I was surprised that no one had opened a thread about Gregory Campbell’s assertion that the erection of Parachute Regiment flags in Derry in the lead up to the anniversary of Bloody Sunday were “not sectarian”.

Now I know a flag depicting and celebrating the murderers of 14 innocent people is nowhere near as bad as a loaf of bread on the head, but the silence from the “we’d be outraged if a politician from any party did it, but we only post in SF are bad threads” brigade is palpable.

Why is there no outcry about this? These were 14 innocent people murdered and another 14 injured by the British Army. They were doing the opposite of the IRA (who were apparently the only wrongdoers of the troubles according to a lot on here) and protesting peacefully. Gregory Campbell is offending the families of all of these innocent people, brutally murdered.

It is a strange phenomena, similar to white guilt in US, where certain people from the ROI can only seem to criticise and become outraged at attacks carried out by the IRA, and have no opinion on Irish people murdered by the British, whether by collusion or in cold blood as on Bloody Sunday.

I can’t explain it, can anyone else??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

mfceiling wrote: »
    No.

Me either. Tricky business this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

You can't toast a flag....bread on the other hand!!!#

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭baylah17

I condemned Barry McElduff for his actions and SF for their response.
    In the McElduff case there was always a chance, albeit miniscule that he didnt do it on purpose, in this case it is pure sectarian baiting!
    Campbell and the DUP should rightly be vilified and ostracised for this insult to the families of the dead civil rights marchers.
    This is about as scummy as it gets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I despise this stupidity as much as the Kingsmill loaf thing.

Both are utterly negative and do nothing for any community

People like McElduff and Campbell are to be condemned for but thankfully they are part of the past increasingly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

baylah17 wrote: »
    Campbell and the DUP should rightly be vilified and ostracised for this insult to the families of the dead civil rights marchers.
    This is about as scummy as it gets.

Sure, what would you expect from a pig but a grunt.

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Sure, what would you expect from a pig but a grunt.
    +1
    Totally disgusting behaviour

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Gregory Campbell doesn't appear to have put the flags up himself, so it's not really the same thing. Now, he shouldn't have made excuses for the people who put the flags up, either, but his insensitivity is not quite in the same league's as McElduff's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Ah the north, so consistent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Another fleg related matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

* FLEGS!!

El Tarangu wrote: »
    Gregory Campbell doesn't appear to have put the flags up himself, so it's not really the same thing. Now, he shouldn't have made excuses for the people who put the flags up, either, but his insensitivity is not quite in the same league's as McElduff's.

His insensitivity is worse, he is happily defending the indefensible, pure naked sectarianism!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

How can there be an outcry if people haven't heard of it? Do you have a link to an article about it? no mention of it on the BBC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

How can there be an outcry if people haven't heard of it? Do you have a link to an article about it? no mention of it on the BBC.
    Considering it's a scum act from the unionist side, it's hardly going to on the british broadcasting corporation.

ELM327 wrote: »
    Considering it's a scum act from the unionist side, it's hardly going to on the british broadcasting corporation.

so do you have a link to it somewhere?

so do you have a link to it somewhere?
    I read it in the OP.
    Affirmati Non Neganti Incumbit Probatio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/parachute-regiment-flags-on-lampposts-ahead-of-bloody-sunday-anniversary-blind-sectarianism-36523121.html

I read it in the OP.
    Affirmati Non Neganti Incumbit Probatio.

Your latin quote contradicts the first part of your post.

well excuse me if i'm not a regular reader of the belfast telegraph. Not everybody is.

Either am I.... I just went to Google and typed in 'Gregory Campbell, paratrooper flags'... easy peazy, Japaneesy :)

• Advertisement

Either am I.... I just went to Google and typed in 'Gregory Campbell, paratrooper flags'... easy peazy, Japaneesy :)

would it have killed the OP to include a link to what they are outraged about? They are outraged about the lack of outrage but wont even supply a link to what we are supposed to be outraged. I'm outraged at the OPs outrage. And this happened a week ago. why didnt the OP create this thread sooner? I'm outraged at the lateness of this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

would it have killed the OP to include a link to what they are outraged about? They are outraged about the lack of outrage but wont even supply a link to what we are supposed to be outraged. I'm outraged at the OPs outrage. And this happened a week ago. why didnt the OP create this thread sooner? I'm outraged at the lateness of this thread.

Yeah this is what really matters... Don't get distracted now by all that flag business.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Newsflash.

It's possible to be appalled by this and McElduff's 'joke'.

And either do not have to be referenced every single time the other is mentioned.

lawred2 wrote: »
    Yeah this is what really matters... Don't get distracted now by all that flag business.

well no the OP is very clear that they are outraged about the reaction (or lack of) to the event not the event itself.

I think it's more likely the case that people living in Great Britain couldn't give a s***e about which side's fleg is the fleggiest this week.

OP is a lazy so-and-so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

It’s not the first time that Parachute Regiment flags have went up in some Loyalist backwater. It is also not surprising that a Loyalist like Gregory Campbell is going to make excuses for this outright sectarian and Neanderthal behaviour - after all, this is how he gets his votes.

The thing in the north for those who aren’t familiar, to be seen to be defending sectarian acts is political suicide - unless you’re in the DUP. They are where they are because they appeal to the lowest common denominator who are the type of people who mock Bloody Sunday.

It is interesting to contrast with the McElduff saga (and I predicted that this very episode would play out after he got suspended) where Sinn Fein took action, publicly distanced themselves from the sentiment some people felt he expressed; he personally sought to repair the damage caused (by way of offering to meet the families) and ultimately had to tender his resignation.

Gregory Campbell will have got a pat on the back for his efforts.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Following on from the Kingsmill thread where an MP shockingly put a loaf of bread on his head, I was surprised that no one had opened a thread about Gregory Campbell’s assertion that the erection of Parachute Regiment flags in Derry in the lead up to the anniversary of Bloody Sunday were “not sectarian”.

Now I know a flag depicting and celebrating the murderers of 14 innocent people is nowhere near as bad as a loaf of bread on the head, but the silence from the “we’d be outraged if a politician from any party did it, but we only post in SF are bad threads” brigade is palpable.

Why is there no outcry about this? These were 14 innocent people murdered and another 14 injured by the British Army. They were doing the opposite of the IRA (who were apparently the only wrongdoers of the troubles according to a lot on here) and protesting peacefully. Gregory Campbell is offending the families of all of these innocent people, brutally murdered.

It is a strange phenomena, similar to white guilt in US, where certain people from the ROI can only seem to criticise and become outraged at attacks carried out by the IRA, and have no opinion on Irish people murdered by the British, whether by collusion or in cold blood as on Bloody Sunday.

Well there was a thread on Reddit about it over a week ago, it's not really a surprise there was nothing on Boards as Boards is very much anti-Republican compared to everywhere else online, despite the usual protestations about shinner bots.

And it needs to be pointed out that while this comes in the aftermath of Kingsmill incident , its not exactly a response to it as the flags have been hung up other years too

https://www.derryjournal.com/news/para-flag-a-provocation-1-5841024

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

Gregory Campbell is an awful human being.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Anybody that knows the kind of knuckledraggers that raise these flags or the type of 'politician' Gregory Campbell is wouldn't bother their holes getting all worked about this, you might as well start a thread about the grass growing.

Anyone that doesn't know anything about them, don't bother looking them up, there are a lot better things to do with your day.

armaghlad wrote: »

The thing in the north for those who aren’t familiar, to be seen to be defending sectarian acts is political suicide - unless you’re in the DUP.

Sinn Féin politicians regularly attend commemorations for people involved in sectarian violence, so I don't think you are correct there.
    It is interesting to contrast with the McElduff sag (and I predicted that this very episode would play out after he got suspended) where Sinn Fein took action, publicly distanced themselves from the sentiment some people felt he expressed

Several SF politicians defended McElduff immediately after the controversy came out, and it was only when the outrage reached a certain level that the party felt obliged to sanction him.

El Tarangu wrote: »
    Sinn Féin politicians regularly attend commemorations for people involved in sectarian violence, so I don't think you are correct there.

Several SF politicians defended McElduff immediately after the controversy came out, and it was only when the outrage reached a certain level that the party felt obliged to sanction him.

You mean SF dumped him when it was politically expedient to do so? that doesn't sound like SF at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Maybe we expect such idiocy from the unionists but expect better from the shinners?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

well excuse me if i'm not a regular reader of the belfast telegraph. Not everybody is.

Did you just whinge about the lack of a link, then whinge that you're not a regular reader of the link provided?

Just checking.

Did you just whinge about the lack of a link, then whinge that you're not a regular reader of the link provided?

Just checking.

would it have killed the OP to include a link to a story that didnt make national news? If they expect us to be outraged at least let us know they expect us to be outraged about. Is that too complicated for you to understand? Just checking.

• Advertisement

would it have killed the OP to include a link to a story that didnt make national news? If they expect us to be outraged at least let us know they expect us to be outraged about. Is that too complicated for you to understand? Just checking.

yeah but without reading any link - I got plenty from the OP as to what the detail of the story was..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

It's almost as if some people are chronic arseholes and some other people decide to show them up by ignoring them and holding themselves to a far higher standard.

yeah but without reading any link - I got plenty from the OP as to what the detail of the story was..

How do you do the detail provided was correct? People tend to paraphrase an article which can change it's meaning. I prefer to read the original source.

I've lost count the amount of times someone on boards makes a claim with no source.

In my case I either use Google to see if I can verify/counter what is being said, or I ask for a source.

Occasionally I may question the impartiality or legitimacy of source provided (Belfast tele in this case can hardly fall into either category)

What I don't do is complain that I dont regularly read the source of the link provided. I would normally thank the poster for obliging me and then move on.

I've lost count the amount of times someone on boards makes a claim with no source.

In my case I either use Google to see if I can verify/counter what is being said, or I ask for a source.

Occasionally I may question the impartiality or legitimacy of source provided (Belfast tele in this case can hardly fall into either category)

What I don't do is complain that I dont regularly read the source of the link provided. I would normally thank the poster for obliging me and then move on.

I asked for a source. one was provided (but not by the OP who seems to have disappeared). I only commented that i didnt read the telegraph because the story clearly wasn't national news and hence the OP's outrage that others on here were not outraged was misplaced. I didnt think it was that difficult to understand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Forty-seven pages of "Se ye, hi!!" "Shut yer fuckan moyth yer wee Orange BAWRSTAWRD!!" should sort this out, it always does. :pac::pac::pac:

I asked for a source. one was provided (but not by the OP who seems to have disappeared). I only commented that i didnt read the telegraph because the story clearly wasn't national news and hence the OP's outrage that others on here were not outraged was misplaced. I didnt think it was that difficult to understand.

It wasn't difficult to understand. It was merely observed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-foyle-west-42885894

At least one is saying it is wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

a flag depicting and celebrating the murderers of 14 innocent people

This is the most horrifying thing, using pictures of people being killed as their flag

Your latin quote contradicts the first part of your post.
    He who asserts must prove.
    I made no assertion - only assertion made was in the OP.
    Are you a DUP?

He who asserts must prove.
    I made no assertion - only assertion made was in the OP.
    Are you a DUP?

I'm very familiar with that latin phrase. You just used it in a reply to me that made no sense.

How do you do the detail provided was correct? People tend to paraphrase an article which can change it's meaning. I prefer to read the original source.

Not to get all fake newsy and all that but 'orginal sources' are just someone else's paraphrasing too

Not to get all fake newsy and all that but 'orginal sources' are just someone else's paraphrasing too

Indeed they are but i would prefer the read the the paraphrasing of a newspaper like the telegraph than some randomer on the internet

Indeed they are but i would prefer the read the the paraphrasing of a newspaper like the telegraph than some randomer on the internet

again - online editions of newspapers are often also just some 'randomer' on the internet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

This sort of silly stuff from both sides of that sectarian binfire is exactly why I think everyone is better off with the border exactly where it is.

Who would want to deal with that shyte?

• Advertisement
Advertisement