Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damp in Rented property

Options
  • 01-02-2018 10:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭

I rented a house to a family and they have sent me photos of damp in the house. This house never had damp previously so I cant understand what is happening. Its a house that was built in the 1950s and is semi detached with a garage.

We upgraded the house before renting it and put radiators in the three bedrooms, there were no radiators in these rooms previously. Could this be the issue. The damp is in two of these bedrooms.

Can anyone recommend who I could contact to help sort this issue. I havent a clue where to start.

We let the property through an agency but didnt go with management because the management fees where too high. Is there any point in ringing the agency, the tenants are in the house a month at this stage.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Is there vents in the room?
    Might there be a leak ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

There is no vent in the bathroom, tenant thinks this could be an issue.

There is a window in the bathroom though.

The house was occupied by an elderly person who would have used the downstairs bathroom for showers and probably wouldnt have showered everyday. There are four people in the house now so probably a lot of showers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

You need an extractor fan and vents also check for leaking gutters and down pipes that are shedding moisture onto the wall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

Thanks a million.

Can you recommend what type of extractor fan and best place to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Regarding the fan; have it come on when you turn the light on, and for it to go off a minute or two after the light goes off.

Also, keep an eye out for clothes horses when you're in the house. People will dry their clothes on the rads and on the clothes horses, without realizing that this could be the cause of the damp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

Do the tenants open windows during the day ?
    Seen this problem in a couple of properties where windows were never opened.

Tenant complained of damp which turned out to be condensation on the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

will56 wrote: »
    Do the tenants open windows during the day ?
    Seen this problem in a couple of properties where windows were never opened.

Tenant complained of damp which turned out to be condensation on the wall.
    Had the same. Lived in the house myself for 10 years with never a bit of mould. Tenants move in and black mould all over bathroom 6 months later. Never opened the window after showering.

Advertisement