Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I Need More Ram?

Options
  • 01-02-2018 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

I've upgraded from GTX 970 to a GTX 1070 ti GPU...and from an i5 4460 to an i7 4770..I still have 2x4MB Crucial Ballistix DDR3 Ram...Should I get more Ram to keep up with newer games...(PUBG, Battlefield et al)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

If you have to ask... Then the answer is yes.
    More RAM is always a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

PUBG reputedly runs better on 16Gb, though no one on the internet seems to have actually tested this.
    Having said that, the game runs like a dog anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

skankles wrote: »
    I've upgraded from GTX 970 to a GTX 1070 ti GPU...and from an i5 4460 to an i7 4770..I still have 2x4MB Crucial Ballistix DDR3 Ram...Should I get more Ram to keep up with newer games...(PUBG, Battlefield et al)

:eek:

That's incredible!

On a serious note, RAM is getting more and more expensive, if it's 8GB it shouldn't be too bad? I've 12gb DDR3 in my own on a 2500k / RX480 and haven't ran into any issues.

Maybe 2x8gb wouldn't be the worst investment if you had the budget to spare! But it'd be no harm to push what you have to see if it struggles?

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭skankles

I'm already running 2x4MB off a H97 Mobo...can I get another dual kit 2x4MB or should I get 2X8gb...does it make a difference...considering the implication of dual channel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭accensi0n

skankles wrote: »
    I'm already running 2x4MB off a H97 Mobo...can I get another dual kit 2x4MB or should I get 2X8gb...does it make a difference...considering the implication of dual channel

Definitely go with 2X8GB over another 2x4MB, will be massively better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭fleet

Unlike a faster CPU, more memory will have no impact, zero, on performance unless it's running low (and the OS is paging out to hard disk).

Check the utilization of memory under load first before spending.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    PUBG reputedly runs better on 16Gb, though no one on the internet seems to have actually tested this.
    Having said that, the game runs like a dog anyway.

Don't understand this at all. Game runs fine these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It's not urgent and RAM prices are crap right now. I'd wait until you get a good deal on a 2nd hand set of 2x8 maybe - but if your board has 4 banks, another 2x4 should be pretty cheap. Just make sure it's at least 1600mhz speed.

Right now, 8GB is fine for those games but I think PUBG can benefit from more, haven't played it in a long time but it used to run better on 16 for long periods of time. Battlefield 1 is fine on 8GB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Don't understand this at all. Game runs fine these days.

:confused:

In fairness it doesn't. It runs like crap for what it is.

The fact that you need a €250-300 card to maintain a solid 60fps at 1080p low settings for a game that looks about 8 years old says it all.

Doesn't mean it's not fun or that it's not improved from what it was, but it still runs like crap.

A PC that could run something the visually excellent and hardware demanding Battlefield 1 at 1080p high 60fps, would struggle to run PUBG at 60fps at very low.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

fleet wrote: »
    more memory will have no impact, zero, on performance unless it's running low.

That's not particularly true, Windows Ram caching is pretty good now. If you have a decent amount of RAM windows just pre-loads what it thinks your going to need in Advance. Which for me, meant loading times of applications/game maps became near instant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Jo Satan

HWUB tests RAM usage in a couple of current games including PUBG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0t4uLh2ZK04&t=656s

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Jo Satan wrote: »
    HWUB tests RAM usage in a couple of current games including PUBG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0t4uLh2ZK04&t=656s

I prefer the text article for these.
    https://www.techspot.com/article/1535-how-much-ram-do-you-need-for-gaming/

Very interesting findings with PUBG then.

1440p on GTX 1080Ti (11Gb VRAM) - 7.5Gb RAM, 13.5Gb pagefile
    1080p on GTX 1060 (6Gb VRAM) - 8.3Gb RAM, 14.5Gb pagefile
    1080p on GTX 1060 (3Gb VRAM) - 12Gb RAM, 13.8Gb pagefile

So the game/engine is worse on RAM on lower-end GPUs.

Game still runs badly though, especially compared to Fortnite.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Cordell

accensi0n wrote: »
    Definitely go with 2X8GB over another 2x4MB, will be massively better.

No, it's not a massive difference, there will be no perceivable one either. 4 sticks can perform worse than 2 indeed, but not with real life performance difference.
    So yes, when buying 16 gigs, go for 2x8, but if you already have 2x4 it's making more sense to get another 2x4.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Cordell wrote: »
    No, it's not a massive difference, there will be no perceivable one either. 4 sticks can perform worse than 2 indeed, but not with real life performance difference.
    So yes, when buying 16 gigs, go for 2x8, but if you already have 2x4 it's making more sense to get another 2x4.

*Woooosshh*

Advertisement