Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Rolling Stones - 17th May 2018 - Croke Park - *Discussion Only / No Ticket Sales*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Lackey wrote: »
    They did it for Garth Brooks....refunds had to be issued to thousands.
    People had to pay for hotels they no longer needed etc

This is dodgy territory if they deny Rolling Stones people will go mad....If they allow it people will go mad (the residents and people who missed out on Garth)

Residents on news stating that 3 concerts have already been granted licences...doesn't matter how many concerts or who it is, they are holding to the 3 concerts a year.

But isn't it just that after 3 they need to apply for a licence?.. Aiken have followed the process

In no other country in the world would this happen..

It's one gig! Give over!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

bennyl10 wrote: »
    But isn't it just that after 3 they need to apply for a licence?.. Aiken have followed the process

In no other country in the world would this happen..

It's one gig! Give over!

I agree!
    You are preaching to the choir
    Just telling it like it is ...
    The residents have said 3 concerts only I don’t think they will roll over on this and I can’t see how DCC can grant a licence after last time :/
    At least tickets haven’t been sold this time!

Rules state 3 concerts per year, also no pre meeting was held which was brought in after Garth Brooks fiasco.

https://www.rte.ie/news/dublin/2018/0226/943664-croke-park-concert/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,023 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Lackey wrote: »
    I agree!
    You are preaching to the choir
    Just telling it like it is ...
    The residents have said 3 concerts only I don’t think they will roll over on this and I can’t see how DCC can grant a licence after last time :/
    At least tickets haven’t been sold this time!

Rules state 3 concerts per year, also no pre meeting was held which was brought in after Garth Brooks fiasco.

https://www.rte.ie/news/dublin/2018/0226/943664-croke-park-concert/

The rule on applying for a licence after three gigs didn't give the residents automatic veto so they can go mad all they want, as they would for any fourth gig. The decision rests on the council taking into consideration the residents as well as the submission from the promoter.

Garth Brooks was a totally different story and is no comparison for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,402 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

a lot of older residents at that meeting it seemed going by the picture

why why why do we always **** up in this country ??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,792 ✭✭✭hynesie08

PTH2009 wrote: »

Do any of the other countries have licenses already granted? Or have they even been applied for? I would say a situation where people are not allowed express concerns and investigate their options would be a bigger "**** up"

• Advertisement

Mr.S wrote: »
    If this show doesn't go ahead, Croke Park Stadium should then be moved to the back arse of nowhere to make the residents happy so we never have to go through this again.

Weren't the gaa offered a green field site before croke park was renovated? Wonder if they regret not taking it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

PTH2009 wrote: »

How is older people at this meeting indicative of us ****ing up?

Wheety wrote: »
    How is older people at this meeting indicative of us ****ing up?

referring to aiken/GAA/residents etc and not the old people

I really think they should of just booked the stones to play the Aviva

On paddy power its 4/1 for the 4th concert not to go ahead

Im thinking the residents are goinig to win but i hope im wrong

I think it'll go ahead. DCC will look at the application which I'm sure will outline that it is the only event on in May in Croker.

Garth Brooks was completely different. Was 5 nights in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,128 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The same people are in charge in Dublin City Council as in 2014. They set the bar for themselves after the Brooks mess, with the agreed ceiling on dates.

It astonishes me that Peter Aiken is up to his neck in promises he can't keep, again. He himself admitted the Brooks thing left him looking like "an eejit". A greedy eejit if you ask me.

It matters not that Garth Brooks is shyte and Taylor Swift is too, but her people got in first and arguably the greatest music act of the rock age, The Rolling Stones, is not going to play in Croke Park on May 17th. Put your wallets away lads.

• Advertisement

Larbre34 wrote: »
    The same people are in charge in Dublin City Council as in 2014. They set the bar for themselves after the Brooks mess, with the agreed ceiling on dates.

It astonishes me that Peter Aiken is up to his neck in promises he can't keep, again. He himself admitted the Brooks thing left him looking like "an eejit". A greedy eejit if you ask me.

It matters not that Garth Brooks is shyte and Taylor Swift is too, but her people got in first and arguably the greatest music act of the rock age, The Rolling Stones, is not going to play in Croke Park on May 17th. Put your wallets away lads.

They allowed 3 though, so the ceiling is 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,560 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

No one is really concerned about Taylor Swift sales. Just talking about how the first gig still hasn't sold out and they added a second. Because of that, there's a possibility this may still be cancelled.

I thought 1st TS gig sold out already :confused:

RS surely would sell out 2 Croke Park dates

Is 4 now the max in one year for Croke Park?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭Zardoz

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    RS surely would sell out 2 Croke Park dates

At those prices,not a hope

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Zardoz wrote: »
    At those prices,not a hope

You'd be surprised. All their shows sell out. Including the €700 VIP tickets.

I hope it doesn't get cancelled because it would be awful for all the people who buy tickets, but the fallout would be highly entertaining. It's not worth 100 quid to me to see these guys im afraid. Maybe ill regret when they're dead but i doubt it

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Ziegfeldgirl27

I'm seeing articles everywhere this morning about the residents meeting. I am just so upset.... I was on their side re: Garth brooks but I mean, this is ONE night! There were only 2 concerts in Croke Park last year, would it really do any harm if there are 4 this year? My dad is a Stones fan from the very beginning, 50+ years, and this is his first chance to see his favourite group live after all this time! How could anyone put a stop to this happiness?!
    It worries me also if the venue is changed to the Aviva because it means less seats and less chance of me being able to get tickets!

I also think that it won't be a case of having to refund tickets, because I do think the decision will be made prior to March 23rd

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

MadYaker wrote: »
    You'd be surprised. All their shows sell out. Including the €700 VIP tickets.

they regularly have gigs that don't sell out. last time in the UK a number of them didn't, including London.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Clickbait wrote: »
    The Dublin council was up for all five of those concerts, said in an earlier conference that he wouldn't have an issue with them. But felt he had to do something due to the residents threatening meeting urging the council not to go ahead with granting the licenses the week before the license was granted. I don't think the residents had it fully planned out because they had to follow through with their threats and seek an injunction which wouldn't have held up in any court. They won't get away so easily again with their threats.

DCC never, at any point, supported five days of Garth Brooks gigs. The reason for the refusal of the license is as laid out above. The notion that Aiken could simply railroad five nights through is the core issue - not the right of residents to object.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/keegan-rejects-gaa-claim-he-backed-five-garth-brooks-gigs-1.1868011

I'm seeing articles everywhere this morning about the residents meeting. I am just so upset.... I was on their side re: Garth brooks but I mean, this is ONE night! There were only 2 concerts in Croke Park last year, would it really do any harm if there are 4 this year? My dad is a Stones fan from the very beginning, 50+ years, and this is his first chance to see his favourite group live after all this time! How could anyone put a stop to this happiness?!
    It worries me also if the venue is changed to the Aviva because it means less seats and less chance of me being able to get tickets!

They're not going to take your Dad into consideration :D

Could always bring him to the UK for a show?

• Advertisement

They're not going to take your Dad into consideration :D

Could always bring him to the UK for a show?

I'm sure there's thousands of fans like my dad and I'm sure there's a fan or 2 among the residents as well!

Yeah he could go to one of the UK shows but it would be fantastic to see them in Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,383 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Anyone think they announced this early so that if it does get rejected, all ire will be directed at residents?

Mushy wrote: »
    Anyone think they announced this early so that if it does get rejected, all ire will be directed at residents?

They didn’t announce it early. Most gigs are announced subject to license approval.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,383 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

alastair wrote: »
    They didn’t announce it early. Most gigs are announced subject to license approval.

Rolling stones poster only says Dublin is subject to licence.

I know all gigs are like that, but they would've known in advance and kept Dublin off the list for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭purcela

Disclosure, I live in the Croke Park Residents radius and personally wouldn't have a problem with this gig going ahead.
    However the argument that this is only 1 extra gig, can the residents just let it pass isn't that straightforward. If this concert goes ahead, then what is to stop 4 gigs per year becoming the norm as Aiken/MCD/DCC will always point to 2018 and say well there were 4 gigs that year. And then some chancer decides in 2020 to try for a 5th gig because 'ah sure it's only 1 extra gig', and where does it stop.
    The residents and the council agreed 3 concerts per year.

Mushy wrote: »
    Rolling stones poster only says Dublin is subject to licence.

I know all gigs are like that, but they would've known in advance and kept Dublin off the list for now.

Why would they do that?

Pretty much all the summer gigs in Ireland are subject to license, and will remain so until the 11th hour. They still get promoted and tickets are sold. It’s the norm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

purcela wrote: »
    Disclosure, I live in the Croke Park Residents radius and personally wouldn't have a problem with this gig going ahead.
    However the argument that this is only 1 extra gig, can the residents just let it pass isn't that straightforward. If this concert goes ahead, then what is to stop 4 gigs per year becoming the norm as Aiken/MCD/DCC will always point to 2018 and say well there were 4 gigs that year. And then some chancer decides in 2020 to try for a 5th gig because 'ah sure it's only 1 extra gig', and where does it stop.

I'm a Stones fan and have seen them previously and I would love to see them again, but there's an agreement in place with the residents and it has to be respected.

well no, they agreed to grant a licence for 3 gigs, and any more than that would have to go through the usual route.
    there were more than 3 non-GAA events on a number of occasions in the past, including the year of Garth Brooks, not including those gigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,023 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

That works both ways. They agree one extra this year and then for the next few years they can point at this and say they allowed it once and deserve the limit of three for a few further years.

The argument of increasing gigs because of a precedent is a very weak one when looked at logically. DCC would very easily reject an application if its thesis was "well sure there was four last year".

• Advertisement

ozzy jr wrote: »
    I'm a Stones fan and have seen them previously and I would love to see them again, but there's an agreement in place with the residents and it has to be respected.
    it is being respected, 3 gigs have been granted a licence, and the ones above that are being applied for.

Advertisement