Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Rolling Stones - 17th May 2018 - Croke Park - *Discussion Only / No Ticket Sales*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,383 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

alastair wrote: »
    Why would they do that?

Pretty much all the summer gigs in Ireland are subject to license, and will remain so until the 11th hour. They still get promoted and tickets are sold. It’s the norm.

So people don't make plans etc. But they did announce it, and that's my point, it was done so if it doesn't go ahead, people will blame the residents.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 84 ✭✭Clickbait

DCC never, at any point, supported five days of Garth Brooks gigs. The reason for the refusal of the license is as laid out above. The notion that Aiken could simply railroad five nights through is the core issue - not the right of residents to object.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/keegan-rejects-gaa-claim-he-backed-five-garth-brooks-gigs-1.1868011

There's a video knocking around the place with the Dublin council manager admitting he was up for the five nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

well no, they agreed to grant a licence for 3 gigs, and any more than that would have to go through the usual route.
    there were more than 3 non-GAA events on a number of occasions in the past, including the year of Garth Brooks, not including those gigs.

The point of the agreement is to cap the number of concerts. If the cap is effectively ignored by additional license applications, it’s not much of an agreement, is it? The principle of limits is what’s at stake with the objectors. It’s not in the interest of Croke Park, the promoters, or local residents to return to battling out every license application.

Again - local resident with no problems regarding this gig (saw them in Glastonbury, enjoyed them, despite Keith’s inability to play guitar any more). Just understand the frustration of some locals at dealing with the fallout.

I'm seeing articles everywhere this morning about the residents meeting. I am just so upset.... I was on their side re: Garth brooks but I mean, this is ONE night! There were only 2 concerts in Croke Park last year, would it really do any harm if there are 4 this year? My dad is a Stones fan from the very beginning, 50+ years, and this is his first chance to see his favourite group live after all this time! How could anyone put a stop to this happiness?!
    It worries me also if the venue is changed to the Aviva because it means less seats and less chance of me being able to get tickets!

For the music snobbery, I hope the rolling stones doesn't go ahead.

Clickbait wrote: »
    There's a video knocking around the place with the Dublin council manager admitting he was up for the five nights.

I’ll place more faith in his recorded statement at a tribunal than in a notional, and quite possibly entirely imaginary video.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

I'm sure there's thousands of fans like my dad and I'm sure there's a fan or 2 among the residents as well!

Yeah he could go to one of the UK shows but it would be fantastic to see them in Dublin!

There were 400,000 Garth brooks fans
    Didn’t stop DCC

Does anybody know when a decision will be made by?
    Will we have to wait until the tickets are due to go on sale ?

Mushy wrote: »
    So people don't make plans etc. But they did announce it, and that's my point, it was done so if it doesn't go ahead, people will blame the residents.

People do make plans though. I’ve tickets for at least five summer gigs or festivals that are subject to license. If the licence’s aren’t granted, I’ll blame the promotors - the responsibility for adhering to the terms of a license rests with them. The point of the licensing process is that the promotors have to meet obligations. Objectors to license applications are only effective if their case has merit.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,383 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

People do make plans though. I’ve tickets for at least five summer gigs or festivals that are subject to license. If the licence’s aren’t granted, I’ll blame the promotors - the responsibility for adhering to the terms of a license rests with them. The point of the licensing process is that the promotors have to meet obligations. Objectors to license applications are only effective if their case has merit.

Yeah but the CP situation is different, it was always likely to be more dodgy. Hence why the Dublin tickets are held off until mid-March. Promoters can wash their hands of it much easier with no tickets on sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Ziegfeldgirl27

Clickbait wrote: »
    I'm seeing articles everywhere this morning about the residents meeting. I am just so upset.... I was on their side re: Garth brooks but I mean, this is ONE night! There were only 2 concerts in Croke Park last year, would it really do any harm if there are 4 this year? My dad is a Stones fan from the very beginning, 50+ years, and this is his first chance to see his favourite group live after all this time! How could anyone put a stop to this happiness?!
    It worries me also if the venue is changed to the Aviva because it means less seats and less chance of me being able to get tickets!

For the music snobbery, I hope the rolling stones doesn't go ahead.

I was referring to 5 nights in a row vs 1 night. No need to call me a snob!!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,402 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

tbh it's all going in the residents favour

same council members in the DCC since 2014 and they would look foolish if they granted this 4th licence and they didnt for the GB shows

The band themselves dont give a toss really and will only make a statement stateing how sad they are for having to miss out on playing for the Irish fans and hope they can see them on other dates on the tour

• Advertisement

well no, they agreed to grant a licence for 3 gigs, and any more than that would have to go through the usual route.
    there were more than 3 non-GAA events on a number of occasions in the past, including the year of Garth Brooks, not including those gigs.

There’s still the pope gig to be taken into account. Tens of thousands of geriatrics and other god botherers (presumably a similar age profile to the Stones crowd) will descend on Crocker at the end of the summer. Only hope is his light show doesn’t require as much rigging time. But then Mick Jagger isn’t rolling in in a popemobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

The point of the agreement is to cap the number of concerts. If the cap is effectively ignored by additional license applications, it’s not much of an agreement, is it? The principle of limits is what’s at stake with the objectors. It’s not in the interest of Croke Park, the promoters, or local residents to return to battling out every license application.

Again - local resident with no problems regarding this gig (saw them in Glastonbury, enjoyed them, despite Keith’s inability to play guitar any more). Just understand the frustration of some locals at dealing with the fallout.
    no, but that was always known. it's ultimately a worthless agreement. the 3 licences still need to be granted, but this way there's cover for granting them without any issues.
    AFAIK there was never any agreement that there would be 3 and only 3, as this, and other years have shown. DCC granted licences for 3 of the Brooks gigs, taking it to 7 non-GAA events.

the agreement between the RA and CP is basically just "we'll agree 3, anything else is up in the air". I'm sure CP will offer some more money for the Community Fund, the residents will point to a win (but still unhappy), and DCC will grant it with concerns taken into account in the conditions.

the fact that Aiken have again got themselves into this position is ridiculous though.

PTH2009 wrote: »

same council members in the DCC since 2014 and they would look foolish if they granted this 4th licence and they didnt for the GB shows

The band themselves dont give a toss really and will only make a statement stateing how sad they are for having to miss out on playing for the Irish fans and hope they can see them on other dates on the tour

Keep in mind DCC did license additional Garth Brooks dates. Just not the full five. The implication being, all things being equal, they will most likely license this gig.

PTH2009 wrote: »

they granted licence for 3 of the GB gigs.

no, but that was always known. it's ultimately a worthless agreement.

Not arguing that point, but the worthlessness of the agreement is equally damaging to Croke Park’s future prospects for running events. The more the agreement is undermined, the less likely any sort of accommodation with residents becomes, and the more likely active (and successful) opposition becomes. It’s in Croke Park’s interest to protect the goose that lays the golden eggs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,023 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

they granted licence for 3 of the GB gigs.

As well as three One Direction gigs which did go ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

There was plans several years ago of building a large arena/conference centre in the Midlands pity it never happened.

Not arguing that point, but the worthlessness of the agreement is equally damaging to Croke Park’s future prospects for running events. The more the agreement is undermined, the less likely any sort of accommodation with residents becomes, and the more likely active (and successful) opposition becomes. It’s in Croke Park’s interest to protect the goose that lays the golden eggs.
    agreed. Croke Park really should just stick with 3 gigs each year, and Aiken should have arranged to stage this gig elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Lackey wrote: »
    This is dodgy territory if they deny Rolling Stones people will go mad....If they allow it people will go mad (the residents and people who missed out on Garth)
    I can't see how any people who missed out on Garth could legitimately be "mad" at this.

Garth was granted 3 licences in a year when 4 non sporting events were already scheduled. 3 x 1 direction gigs and a monster truck rally thing. He would have been very lucky to get 1 allowed.

In 2009 there was uproar about U2 getting a 3rd gig, which brought it to 4 gigs that year. The "3 gig" limit was very well known. To see 7 potentially allowed in 2014 was quite remarkable.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭LastLagoon

Does anyone really care if this gets cancelled? It’s just boomers paying a premium to say I saw the stones, you certainly aren’t going to get a great musical experience from this geriatrics

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,023 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

LastLagoon wrote: »
    Does anyone really care if this gets cancelled? It’s just boomers paying a premium to say I saw the stones, you certainly aren’t going to get a great musical experience from this geriatrics

Yeah I like their music and have never seen them live. Any more stupid questions?

a lot of people including myself have waited years to see the stones play/return in Croke Park/Ireland and now that we have the chance it's in very strong danger of been cancelled cause of the stubbornness of the residents and of course aiken and to a smaller extent MCD for booking 2 TS shoes shows when 1 isn't even sold out.

if Aiken could of just taken the hit and booked them for the Aviva then none of this panic would happen. Aviva is well big enough for the stones given the prices. No guarantee CP would sell out

Yeah I like their music and have never seen them live. Any more stupid questions?

I like their music and have never seen them live either.i don’t like getting ripped off more though

Residents are in the right here. Greed + stupidity from aiken

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

I'm a big stones fan and was looking forward to this but if it doesn't happen I'll just go to the Manchester gig instead.

We're very backward in this area compared to other countries but it is what it is.

I'm a big stones fan and was looking forward to this but if it doesn't happen I'll just go to the Manchester gig instead.

We're very backward in this area compared to other countries but it is what it is.

planning on the same but worried about picking up a ticket for old Trafford so late. Not buying a OT ticket til I knw 100% Dublins not happening

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

LastLagoon wrote: »

They can be utterly shambolic at times but that said, Glastonbury 2013 was one of the best gigs I was ever at.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

the 'Rollin Stoned' are playing in the Academy on 18 May :)

Joking aside, I've seen them live in London a few time and they are superb

• Advertisement

They had a once off in 2014 with an application for 5 more concerts, of which 3 were granted. They aren't applying for more concerts every single year, last year they only had two. And that was two of the three allowed. It was 2009 when they had four concerts. If they were granted four in 2009, how come they didn't go applying for more in 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013? They aren't doing this every year. And to say that they will based on the odd year of extra events is stupid.

Advertisement