Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Rolling Stones - 17th May 2018 - Croke Park - *Discussion Only / No Ticket Sales*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

LastLagoon wrote: »
    Residents are in the right here. Greed + stupidity from aiken

I blame Taylor Swift's people and MCD. I can go onto Ticketmaster now and buy tickets for the 1st show. Granted they're not great seats but I'm sure there will be production tickets released closer to the time.

For the 2nd night the seats offered were on the pitch in the middle. I'm sure loads of radio stations will start having competitions for them in a few weeks. :rolleyes:

That's not to say MCD wouldn't have tried to stick someone else in Croker if there were only 2 planned gigs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 84 ✭✭Clickbait

I was referring to 5 nights in a row vs 1 night. No need to call me a snob!!

So if you're with the residents what makes 4 OK?

Clickbait wrote: »
    So if you're with the residents what makes 4 OK?

She's saying Garth was 5 in a row. This is not 4 in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

I love the Stones and I'd really like this gig to go ahead, all other things aside. However I probably side with the residents on this. The agreement is there for a reason. The promoters and GAA (in whatever capacity they are involved) should work together to ensure only the biggest gigs, and therefore most profitable, go ahead, or to plan appropriately to ensure that other suitable venues are used where possible. They seem to throw whatever they want forward for CP, with the only rationale for more than three gigs being "ah go on".

Maybe it's been addressed here already, but I wonder if a 4th gig going ahead this year would open some avenue for Garth Brooks to come looking for compensation, on the basis that he had been treated differently?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,023 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Maybe it's been addressed here already, but I wonder if a 4th gig going ahead this year would open some avenue for Garth Brooks to come looking for compensation, on the basis that he had been treated differently?

As it was subject to licence and not granted, he'd have no recourse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Greg81

Got a pre-sale codes for UK, Germany and Poland. Two for each country Any takers? PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Not sure if that's a joke, but yeah it was addressed
    rubadub wrote: »
    I can't see how any people who missed out on Garth could legitimately be "mad" at this.

Garth was granted 3 licences in a year when 4 non sporting events were already scheduled. 3 x 1 direction gigs and a monster truck rally thing. He would have been very lucky to get 1 allowed.

In 2009 there was uproar about U2 getting a 3rd gig, which brought it to 4 gigs that year. The "3 gig" limit was very well known. To see 7 potentially allowed in 2014 was quite remarkable.

he was treated differently alright, he got an unprecedented 3 gigs granted when 4 events were already scheduled. You will never see the likes of that again.

Clickbait wrote: »
    It was 2009 when they had four concerts. If they were granted four in 2009, how come they didn't go applying for more in 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013?
    There was huge backlash and complaints from the residents in 2009, as it was already well known the limit was meant to be 3. This is why nobody would have dared apply for more in the next few years. I was amazed at the gall of Aiken for attempting it, and sickened by the pathetic act himself & garth were coming out with, as though they were unaware. As a casual gig goer I knew about it in 2009. Aiken & brooks were taking the public for mugs with with feigned ignorance, utter scumbags. While brooks might have been unaware of the U2 2009 incident at the time there is zero doubt people in his camp would have known about the limits in croke park, who would obviously research such things.

I love the Stones and I'd really like this gig to go ahead, all other things aside. However I probably side with the residents on this. The agreement is there for a reason. The promoters and GAA (in whatever capacity they are involved) should work together to ensure only the biggest gigs, and therefore most profitable, go ahead, or to plan appropriately to ensure that other suitable venues are used where possible. They seem to throw whatever they want forward for CP, with the only rationale for more than three gigs being "ah go on".

It's not 4 nights in a row though. You can't compare this to the Garth brooks situation.

The promoter's reasoning is that it is the only event on in May. Then you go back to the agreement of 3 concerts in a year as the argument.

Aiken sold out 3 dates with Garth and quickly added another 2 as the Euro signs lit up his eyes. That's the only similarity here. Aiken are thinking of how much money they could make and again announce a concert before it has been agreed.

Wheety wrote: »
    She's saying Garth was 5 in a row. This is not 4 in a row.

It's still an extra event, on a weekday in the middle of may, in the school year. So how is this any different for the residents?

They should just increase the number of events allowed to 10 so no more surprises for the residents.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Clickbait wrote:
    They should just increase the number of events allowed to 10 so no more surprises for the residents.

That was suggested during the GB saga. Won't work residents do have a right to expect the GAA to honour an agreement they made.

Anyone manage to get their code working for UK gigs?

£250 for Golden Circle :eek:

£200 for 2 standing for London.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,402 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Anyone manage to get their code working for UK gigs?

£250 for Golden Circle :eek:

£200 for 2 standing for London.

yeah crazy prices

UK sales going through AXS but i imagine Irish pre sales will go through Ticketmaster ???

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭snoopy84

LIVE AT 12PM (GMT)
    Here are the codes you need to access the fan pre-sale.

UK: wqVDrkzh
    Axs.com

Germany: C8xQctps
    eventim.de

Warsaw: ANGIE
    Eventim.pl

Please note: you can only use the code once so be sure to check your purchase details before entering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

The promoter's reasoning is that it is the only event on in May.

I don't really see what relevance that has. There are events on an almost weekly basis from June to September. If anything, this means just another month where disturbances occur.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Hopefully they won't close the toilets after the gig like they did for Springsteen meaning the gardens around Croke Park were guaranteed to be watered with the piss of tens of thousands of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Pinkman

snoopy84 wrote: »
    LIVE AT 12PM (GMT)
    Here are the codes you need to access the fan pre-sale.

UK: wqVDrkzh Germany: C8xQctps

Warsaw: ANGIE

Please note: you can only use the code once so be sure to check your purchase details before entering.

Cheers but where are you buying the tickets for this pre-sale? Can only see a presale for tomorrow on ticketmaster?

this is pretty speical

after Garthgate we were told nothing like this would ever happen again but here we are almost 4 years later and it's happening again but too a smaller scale. Same residents group, same stadium but the laughable thing same Promoter

Obv a loss here for Aiken won't damage his business much but his rep will take a huge drop

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Croke Park and Aiken are the only ones to blame here, they knew the risks, chanced it for greed, and now they're getting what anyone would have expected.
    they'll probably be fine and it will go ahead, but they've only themselves to blame really.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭snoopy84

Sorry about that! Edited post to include links

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

I've never being to a concert in my life (hoping to make this my first) so don't shoot me but does the Aviva have the same issues with residents as Croke Park does ?

I know the Aviva holds less people but if they don't get the go ahead with Croke Park what's the likelihood of it taking place in the Aviva ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I've never being to a concert in my life

Thats mad, what age are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,792 ✭✭✭hynesie08

I've never being to a concert in my life (hoping to make this my first) so don't shoot me but does the Aviva have the same issues with residents as Croke Park does ?

I know the Aviva holds less people but if they don't get the go ahead with Croke Park what's the likelihood of it taking place in the Aviva ?

The aviva also have a 3 gig agreement, and have never crossed that threshold. I believe there was a letter sent around the time of the GB issues strongly pointing out that the residents near the aviva would not tolerate any attempt to break this agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

PTH2009 wrote: »
    after Garthgate we were told nothing like this would ever happen again
    who said/claimed this?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Got sorted for the London Arena gig today in the presale. I doubt Croke Park will go ahead.

The Nal wrote: »
    Thats mad, what age are you?

The far end of 24 :o

I've also only ever being to one proper Rugby match and football match not counting league of Ireland games.

I know.....I need to get out more :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 823 ✭✭✭q2xv9rjei4awgb

The far end of 24 :o

I've also only ever being to one proper Rugby match and football match not counting league of Ireland games.

I know.....I need to get out more :p

Randy's the best ! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Couldn't take the chance on the Dublin gig going ahead so got 2 tickets for Manchester this afternoon.

I have a spare presale code - if anyone's interested PM me

• Advertisement

going to take the gamble on Dublin and try for a Manchester ticket another time if needs be

Advertisement