Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Rolling Stones - 17th May 2018 - Croke Park - *Discussion Only / No Ticket Sales*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Clickbait wrote: »
    Sure that's rubbish. They granted 6 concerts in 2014, and they only had two last year.

There were only two gigs last year because the expected Stones gig was pulled late in the day, and they didn’t have an act to fill the spot. And you seem to want to ignore the basis for there being an agreement to run a maximum of three gigs each year. The point of the limit, is that it’s an actual limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭Zardoz

As expected The Stones added a second gig in London Stadium on the Friday after the Tuesday gig.
    Expect two more gigs added tomorrow ,Manchester on the Saturday before the current Tuesday gig and also a Midlands concert .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 84 ✭✭Clickbait

alastair wrote: »
    There were only two gigs last year because the expected Stones gig was pulled late in the day, and they didn’t have an act to fill the spot. And you seem to want to ignore the basis for there being an agreement to run a maximum of three gigs each year. The point of the limit, is that it’s an actual limit.

I really don't know how they get around this limit. They surely wouldn't do anything illegal and be faced with fines.

What I don't understand is why don't they take a concert or two to the Aviva? They only have one going on this year. I know MCD is the promoter for the Aviva but the first three concerts in Croke Park are MCD events.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭RolandGoose

As bad acoustically as croke park is, the aviva must be one of the worst designed stadiums in the world. It's absolutely shocking! I've never been to a concert there but I've heard there are numerous restricted views on the upper tiers and the acoustics are dire.

With the potential disaster venue and the pesky residents already winging about their precious day been ruined I've decided to give this one a miss. Ticket prices are in line with today's standard I guess. All except for the pit which has more than doubled in price in comparison to their Slane 2007 gig. I can only hope the rumors of the bands decline are greatly exaggerated, another reason I'll sit this one out!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,402 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

wait and see for me I guess but aiming too see them on this tour. as I've said Dublin will suite me just fine

few good RS docs on Netflix and on All4 there is a Doc called 'Ole Ole Ole' following them on tour in 2016 in Latin America

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

I really don't know how they get around this limit. They surely wouldn't do anything illegal and be faced with fines.

As I understand it, the 'three concerts rule' was a part of the original planning permission for the stadium redevelopment.

Like any planning permission, you can apply for exemptions, intensification of use, whatever else.

There's nothing wrong with applying for it; but also no obligation on the city council to grant it...

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭RolandGoose

PTH2009 wrote: »
    wait and see for me I guess but aiming too see them on this tour. as I've said Dublin will suite me just fine

few good RS docs on Netflix and on All4 there is a Doc called 'Ole Ole Ole' following them on tour in 2016 in Latin America

Check out a documentary called "Charlie is my Darling", it covers their 1965 tour of Ireland. With amazing footage from the Adelphi gig. It's a really great watch and really brings it home who you are going to see!

What I don't understand is why don't they take a concert or two to the Aviva?

Greed

Check out a documentary called "Charlie is my Darling", it covers there 1965 tour of Ireland. With amazing footage from the Adelphi gig. It's a really great watch and really brings it home who you are going to see!

watched that the other day really enjoyed

amazing a bulk of the band are still going well sadly not Brian Jones (Rip). Mick Taylor (wasant part of the band during the doc) and Bill Wyman too but there still around

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 84 ✭✭Clickbait

Zardoz wrote: »
    Greed

I can't believe they're bringing a legendary rock band to Ireland and put the concert in jeopardy knowing what the residents are like, while the Aviva lies empty.

• Advertisement

I can't believe they're bringing a legendary rock band to Ireland and put the concert in jeopardy knowing what the residents are like, while the Aviva lies empty.

true

bit of cockiness on the part of Aiken

only 1 man can decide it all though that's the Dublin City Manager and praying it's in aikens favour

3 weeks tomorrow til tickets go on sale

is the licence the reason for the late ticket sale date or another reason ??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,023 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

3 weeks tomorrow til tickets go on sale

is the licence the reason for the late ticket sale date or another reason ??

Licence. Avoid another GB scenario. Licence grantings are generally formalities in Ireland except for CP given the higher potential for cancellation. So for this, they're taking the prudent approach.

Licence. Avoid another GB scenario. Licence grantings are generally formalities in Ireland except for CP given the higher potential for cancellation. So for this, they're taking the prudent approach.

it's a bit of a nightmare for fans waiting around who plan to travel abroad to see them if Dublin falls through with the UK tickets going on sale 2morrow

no way will I pay for UK tickets and then Dublin is granted leaving me trying to flog them. I knw I could skip Dublin or do both gigs but im going over there for other gigs in June and Dublin would be cheaper/handier and can't beat seeing a band in your own country. Tough life

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

I dont see the hate for the Aviva , went there last year for my first gig in the venue for Robbie Williams and thought it was great. Didnt take to long to get in or out of the venue , no issues with the sound or view (now i was on the pitch so maybe its different in the seats).
    The only pain i had and im not sure if its only a problem at the Aviva or other outdoor venues , but i went to grab 4 bottles of carlsberg of on the people with the big bag/rucksack things but they couldnt give people the bottles so they had to pour them into cups which took so much time. I didnt understand why they couldnt just give them in the plastic bottles.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,023 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

it's a bit of a nightmare for fans waiting around who plan to travel abroad to see them if Dublin falls through with the UK tickets going on sale 2morrow

no way will I pay for UK tickets and then Dublin is granted leaving me trying to flog them. I knw I could skip Dublin or do both gigs but im going over there for other gigs in June and Dublin would be cheaper/handier and can't beat seeing a band in your own country. Tough life

Well with flights and accommodation, a ticket to a UK show will probably cost as much as a pit ticket if and when it's granted here! Id say they could be tough to flog alright given the price, exactly the reason I'm doing the same as you :)

Well with flights and accommodation, a ticket to a UK show will probably cost as much as a pit ticket if and when it's granted here! Id say they could be tough to flog alright given the price, exactly the reason I'm doing the same as you :)

have a room reserved (free cancellation) in Manchester next to OT for €78 on Tues 5th June. No way I'm doing any of the London shows (too expensive and already heading there the 18th June for Pearl Jam, in fact going to Manchester the 19th June for the Foos) and not sure where and what date the rumoured UK Midlands show will be ??. Flights are cheap and easy to get to Manchester

I wouldn't rush into buying a ticket for the UK ,there will be plenty of extra tickets released down the line.
    Unsold VIP/Platinum tickets and the better seats held back for the flexible/dynamic pricing will also be released.

As far as I am aware none of the concerts on last years tour sold out ,there were tickets still available until the day of the event.

http://www.pressreader.com/ireland/irish-independent/20180227/281582356120841

Decision can be made anytime after the 5th March and a Aiken spokesperson has said ' the process has begun and we can't preempt the outcome'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

It's not empty. The Stones are playing May 17th. The Pro14 final is on in the Aviva 9 days later.

That's not enough time to dismantle all the gear, let the pitch recover and get the stadium ready for the rugby.

I don't know if they considered Aviva but it wouldn't have been a runner.

Edit: and there's a very good chance IRFU will need a venue for Leinster v Munster on May 19th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Why don’t the play slane and let the common people in

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Bowlardo wrote: »
    Why don’t the play slane and let the common people in

Slane is the worst venue in the country

Lucky Dip tickets are available for the UK tour ,and they are only £30 each plus fees,for nothing really.
    As a part of the general on-sale, a limited number of tickets will be sold at a special price. All Lucky Dip tickets will be sold as a pair. The ticket locations will be throughout the venue, including Side View Upper Level, and Field. You and your guest will find out your seat locations when you pick them up the night of the show.
    http://www.rollingstones.com/tickets/?tb_id=868099&tb_app_id=447

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

The Nal wrote: »
    Slane is the worst venue in the country

Correction:

Slane is the worst venue to GET TO in the country. Once you're in, it's fantastic imo

D.Q wrote: »
    Correction:

Slane is the worst venue to GET TO in the country. Once you're in, it's fantastic imo

Apart from the dodgy sound in places, huge queues for beer, food and toilets and getting out its great.

seems London and Manchester are sold out or almost (lots of premium tickets though), not sure about Cardiff and Edinburgh

Please please please let Dublin go ahead, we deserve it after all this snow lol

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭DylanB85

Apart from the dodgy sound in places, huge queues for beer, food and toilets and getting out its great.

So besides getting in and getting out it’s like every other out door venue in the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,034 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Far better acoustics than Croker in fairness. I'd love to see the Stones, but after the dreadful sound for Springsteen last time, I swore I wouldn't go to a gig in Croker again.

Far better acoustics than Croker in fairness. I'd love to see the Stones, but after the dreadful sound for Springsteen last time, I swore I wouldn't go to a gig in Croker again.

Yeah. Only place you're guaranteed good sound is in front of the sound desk.
    DylanB85 wrote: »
    So besides getting in and getting out it’s like every other out door venue in the country?

Nah. Croker, RDS, Aviva all far far better for that.

• Advertisement

RDS, Aviva, Croke Park and 3arena are very easy to get too and from in Dublin compared to venues such as Slane, Punchestown Racecourse and Marley Park

The Sound for u2 last year in Croker was very good but i was in Section 333 of the Lower Hogan. For Springsteen i was in 307 of the Cusack and the sounded started off bad but improved by the 3rd song.

Only show i was at in the Aviva was ACDC in 2015 and again the sound for the first few songs was dreadful but improved after. I was in 325 of the Premium for that

Love Croke Park as a venue, Food/Drink services are top notch but only downside is the Merch stands on the Lower hogan stand side can get quite crowded and for u2 it was becoming a bit nasty (due to some self right foreign fans from my experience). Cusack side is good for all stuff as they have a larger concourse for all that stuff

Avvia is very compact and views are quite good for concerts. Going to my 2nd show there in June to see Billy Joel

Advertisement