Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Rolling Stones - 17th May 2018 - Croke Park - *Discussion Only / No Ticket Sales*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

The Nal wrote: »
    Nah. Croker, RDS, Aviva all far far better for that.

Aviva nah, bar(s) for pitch is queuing for one of those mugs in backpacks, toilets despite not much queues you leave for them but it's a trek and you can't hear sound from them then...get ta f-ck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Croker food and drink is dreadful. Very limited choice and brutal queues. Other than that, access in and out good.

Aviva is the best of a bad lot. Great sight lines in the Aviva, never been to a bad gig there.

I remember Punchestown for ACDC, the bus from town stopped at the Storm Cinema Naas and we had a two hour walk to the site. Getting home was like the last scene of Titanic.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Aviva is the best of a bad lot. Great sight lines in the Aviva, never been to a bad gig there.

I remember Punchestown for ACDC,
    What it this "bad lot", venues above a certain size I guess? or venues where big acts will feasibly play?

Both the Stones and ACDC played the point or whatever it was called at the time for acdc.

Some were saying aviva was too small but the no filter tour has been in stadiums the same size, figures are shown here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_Filter_Tour_(The_Rolling_Stones_tour)#Tour_dates
    not the 100k is 3 gigs totted up.

But it would cost a fair bit to get the setup shipped over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,023 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

They won't play the Aviva.

It takes something like 6-8 weeks for the grass to recover from a gig and they are hosting the PRO14 Final only a week later. If Croker fails and it has to go elsewhere it will absolutely not be the Aviva.

If Croker fails and it has to go elsewhere it will absolutely not be the Aviva.
    totally agree, that is certainly not what I (and others) are asking/getting at. People seemed to be implying it would have been out of the question from the get go (regardless of date).

People were making the point, that croke park already had its 3 gigs, so Aiken should not even have considered it, in which case aviva could have been on the cards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,402 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

it's Croke Park or nothing for Dublin

hopefully the objection letter gets lost in transit. That Stephens guy will prob hand it in himself in case

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 84 ✭✭Clickbait

rubadub wrote: »
    totally agree, that is certainly not what I (and others) are asking/getting at. People seemed to be implying it would have been out of the question from the get go (regardless of date).

People were making the point, that croke park already had its 3 gigs, so Aiken should not even have considered it, in which case aviva could have been on the cards.

You can't blame Aiken either. The Aviva is MCD only, why I don't know. Yet they only have one gig there this year and three MCD events in Croke Park as well, two Taylor Swift and one Michael Buble. Is there anywhere else Aiken could of went? But at this stage if Croke Park doesn't get the go ahead, they won't be able to get a new license application for a different venue in time for May.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,792 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Clickbait wrote: »
    You can't blame Aiken either. The Aviva is MCD only, why I don't know. Yet they only have one gig there this year and three MCD events in Croke Park as well, two Taylor Swift and one Michael Buble. Is there anywhere else Aiken could of went? But at this stage if Croke Park doesn't get the go ahead, they won't be able to get a new license application for a different venue in time for May.

Billy Joel is Aiken......

So was Roger Waters....

You can't blame Aiken either..

Is there anywhere else Aiken could of went?
    you can blame him.

As above Joel is aviva, at a glance on the aiken page they have 3arena (again stones played the point before), RDS, where springsteen often plays. Live at the marquee (big acts like elton john), donnybrook stadium. Not sure of the capacity of the last 2 but probably on bigger than the point -some people seem to be insisting on the only alternative being a place with identical capacity to croke park or more.

Then the likes of punchestown if you do insist on matching.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 84 ✭✭Clickbait

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Billy Joel is Aiken......

So was Roger Waters....

I always thought it was MCD for some reason. So why can't he take the rolling stones to the Aviva?

• Advertisement

I always thought it was MCD for some reason. So why can't he take the rolling stones to the Aviva?

Honestly, I'm assuming bitterness, although he has followed all the guidelines for this gig, so precedent??

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭godfrey

Because it's too small. The tour production and it's costs are a pretty fixed thing. The profit for the promoter is in the last 10% (or whatever the deal) of the full number of tix. It's a simple case of mathematics, nothing more sinister. The agent and promoter work out the band fee based on all production costs, even down to catering, every security person, every advert, versus the potential gross income. It's a finely tuned process. It is not a case of the promoter saying "I'll give you 50 quid" and hoping to pocket the rest.

The difference between Croker at 80k seats versus Aviva at 55k (both minus production seat kills, plus standing) is enormous.

g

godfrey wrote: »
    Because it's too small.

The difference between Croker at 80k seats versus Aviva at 55k (both minus production seat kills, plus standing) is enormous.

g
    it would be interesting to see the figures. I already posted links to the tour, they did a single night in one place in the netherlands, sold out 35,338. In that post I said it would cost more to get here, but still would be interesting to see if they could make a profit.

A smaller venue could command a higher ticket price too. I would be hugely put off croke park due to its size.

And I will say again, they played the point before. The tour does not have to be the exact same everywhere, actually the fact we are in another country/landmass gives them a reason to change things, e.g. the big touring crew could be going to another EU or UK destination and setting up while they do 2-3 nights in somewhere like 3arena.

it would be interesting to see the figures. I already posted links to the tour, they did a single night in one place in the netherlands, sold out 35,338. In that post I said it would cost more to get here, but still would be interesting to see if they could make a profit.

A smaller venue could command a higher ticket price too. I would be hugely put off croke park due to its size.

And I will say again, they played the point before. The tour does not have to be the exact same everywhere, actually the fact we are in another country/landmass gives them a reason to change things, e.g. the big touring crew could be going to another EU or UK destination and setting up while they do 2-3 nights in somewhere like 3arena.

I guarantee you'll never see those figures!!!

But anyway, every deal is unique. You would be surprised how much more expensive event insurance is in Ireland than the rest of Europe, for example.

Then there's the one off nature of hauling the tour to an island and back, making back to back or close dates unlikely, as opposed to mainland Europe. Every day the tour is out has a cost, whether there's a show or not.

Venue rental varies wildly from one to another.

And about half a million other factors.

No person not involved in the deal should even pretend to think they can work out the costs and profits as a result. It's black magic!

I speak from experience by the way...

g

No person not involved in the deal should even pretend to think they can work out the costs and profits as a result.
    right...

yet you come straight out sounding pretty sure of yourself and say its "because it's too small"...

right...

yet you come straight out sounding pretty sure of yourself and say its "because it's too small"...

The deal for Croker would not work in Aviva. It'll have been based on the potential it can yield. My 2nd post shows how it's not possible to know the profits for an individual show.

Don't bother looking for a scrap, better off reading what I provided...

g

I guarantee you'll never see those figures!!!

But anyway, every deal is unique. You would be surprised how much more expensive event insurance is in Ireland than the rest of Europe, for example.

Then there's the one off nature of hauling the tour to an island and back, making back to back or close dates unlikely, as opposed to mainland Europe. Every day the tour is out has a cost, whether there's a show or not.

Venue rental varies wildly from one to another.

And about half a million other factors.

No person not involved in the deal should even pretend to think they can work out the costs and profits as a result. It's black magic!

I speak from experience by the way...

g

im always hearing that the artist get a finacial advance too before they even play a note here ???

I imagine hotel costs for the stones is through the roof esp when they plan to stay here longer and rehearse the tour before the dublin show

PTH2009 wrote: »
    im always hearing that the artist get a finacial advance too before they even play a note here ???

I imagine hotel costs for the stones is through the roof esp when they plan to stay here longer and rehearse the tour before the dublin show

A deposit is standard for every act, large or small, in every country. It's not unique to Ireland and in no way is to be construed as something negative.

g

Id recommend everyone to watch this Doc
    http://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-rolling-stones-ole-ole-ole

The Cuba show they recorded Havana Moon in is being organised during the tour and a lot of work went into organsing it. Its no doubt the same for Dublin and the rest of this upcoming tour

The deal for Croker would not work in Aviva. It'll have been based on the potential it can yield. My 2nd post shows how it's not possible to know the profits for an individual show.

Don't bother looking for a scrap, better off reading what I provided...

g

hahaha, you are "scrapping" with yourself! with your contradictory statements, and that post further confirms it, not to worry I will leave you at yourself...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭bennyl10

The aviva has a final a few days later, the pitch won't be in condition for it!

Also there's the possibility of a Leinster Munster semi final on the 19th of may, which would be aviva also!

Aviva was a non runner for this!

Issues with it aside - is there any reason why Slane wasn't considered for this.

Age demographic wouldn't travel?

Issues with it aside - is there any reason why Slane wasn't considered for this.

I'm assuming dynamic pricing. Hard to charge scaling prices for all standing events.

possibly health issues with Lord Mountcharles and there could be issues on site

Age maybe and the ticket structure the st ones use would suite stadiums more

• Registered Users Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Because it's too small. The tour production and it's costs are a pretty fixed thing. The profit for the promoter is in the last 10% (or whatever the deal) of the full number of tix. It's a simple case of mathematics, nothing more sinister. The agent and promoter work out the band fee based on all production costs, even down to catering, every security person, every advert, versus the potential gross income. It's a finely tuned process. It is not a case of the promoter saying "I'll give you 50 quid" and hoping to pocket the rest.

g

Its probably an extra complicated procedure in the case of the Stones though due to the way they price the tickets.
    There are so many different price bands ,loads of VIP package types,Platinum tickets and all of these are dynamically priced whereby the price of tickets changes due to demand as time progresses.

If certain seats arent selling at a certain price point they will be reduced so you end up with one person paying 200 euro for a seat and the person beside him could pay 100 closer to the concert date.

Zardoz wrote: »
    If certain seats arent selling at a certain price point they will be reduced so you end up with one person paying 200 euro for a seat and the person beside him could pay 100 closer to the concert date.

I hate that rule and it's really stingy

I knw it's impossible but in that case the person paying €200 should get money back cause of that

those lucky dip tickets are a good idea but would not take the risk esp if ur only seeing them once

• Registered Users Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭Zardoz

bennyl10 wrote: »
    The aviva has a final a few days later, the pitch won't be in condition for it!

Also there's the possibility of a Leinster Munster semi final on the 19th of may, which would be aviva also!

Aviva was a non runner for this!

They could have played the Aviva in June or July ,the main reason its on in May in Croke Park is to give them the best chance of getting a licence .
    A Thursday night in mid May was obviously not first choice if they had one of the 3 standard licences.

Zardoz wrote: »
    They could have played the Aviva in June or July ,the main reason its on in May in Croke Park is to give them the best chance of getting a licence .
    A Thursday night in mid May was obviously not first choice if they had one of the 3 standard licences.

The city could still be thriving a bit even though it's a Thursday. could be worse could be a Tuesday (RHCP played Croke Park on a Tuesday in 2012)

I knw its a pain for people booking the day off work, lifts from school etc and it's college exam season but if ur a fan you will try and go

Out of curiosity had a look at Taylor Swift ticket sales for the Saturday - tons of tickets left, and in pitch seating close to the stage, blocks 303 and 334. Even the pit is available - albeit at €664 which makes the Stones at €456 look generous by comparison.

She is squatting on that third date and for her own sake as much as anyone else's should shift those tickets to the Friday.

• Advertisement

Even the pit is available - albeit at €664 which makes the Stones at €456 look generous by comparison.
    That is a VIP snakepit package. The regular price for the snakepit was about 150
    I couldn't justify spending that amount on a Taylor Swift gig (especially when I am not sure just how much my gift recipient would actually like to go!). I was offered 2 tickets in the snake pit which came to > 300€!

-you will want to be sitting down when you see the stones prices for platinum/VIP pit tickets, if they decide to have them

Advertisement