Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Rolling Stones - 17th May 2018 - Croke Park - *Discussion Only / No Ticket Sales*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,647 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

PTH2009 wrote: »
    heard 'the last time' today and didn't even knw it was the Stones who performed it

I doubt they still do that live, Same with 'Ruby Tuesday' ?

They do it now and again. It’s a classic. However I think they were very Heavily “inspired” by the staples singers for that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,402 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

They do it now and again. It’s a classic. However I think they were very Heavily “inspired” by the staples singers for that one.

it's really surell to think these guys are around since the 60s and playing on such a large scale today they were rubbing shoulders with bands such as the Beatles, Hollies, Kinks etc. They prob met Elvis too

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭boyznoise

Nope same message here

• Registered Users Posts: 12,810 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

They prob met Elvis too

They didn't no. John Lennon told Jagger not to meet him and Keef didn't want to "meet a fallen idol".

But yeah, its amazing how long these boys have been around and playing. The appetite is incredible. When they started, 2 or 3 years was considered the standard career length in rock and roll.

Giving this gig the skip. My last Stones memory will be the crowd singing the Satisfaction riff back at the band while Keith blessed himself at the end of their Glastonbury gig. Right up there with the best gigs I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

The Nal wrote: »
    When they started, 2 or 3 years was considered the standard career length in rock and roll.

Yea especially as a covers act.

• Advertisement

Who endorse cereal

They prob met Elvis too
    When they started, 2 or 3 years was considered the standard career length in rock and roll.

"Beatles Vs Stones" by John McMillian is a well worth a read, challenges a lot of preconceptions about the groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

WHAT A BAND
    THE KINGS OF ROCKN'ROLL
    CANNOT WAIT FOR IT

WELL I'M A TALKING BOUT THE MIDNIGHT RAMBLER, AND EVERYBODY'S GOTTA GO

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

heard 'the last time' today and didn't even knw it was the Stones who performed it

I doubt they still do that live, Same with 'Ruby Tuesday' ?
    doubt there is much chance, unless they have that vote thing and it comes up.

Here they are playing it in Ireland a few years back...

Here is the staples

The Verve famously had to pay 100% royalties for bittersweet symphony, many were blaming Jagger & Richards for being scabby, but I believe they had no say in the matter and do not even own the rights to the song.

At the time I kept trying to make out what the sample was, there are few snippets of sound I thought I recognised and thought 100% payoff was crazy, but it was not the stones version being sampled at all, it was "The Andrew Oldham Orchestra" version of the last time. Oldham was a manager & producer of the stones.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Andrew_Oldham_Orchestra

and the verve did VERY heavily sample it, basically sounds like an instrumental of the verve song

Rock n roll circus is worth a watch. Lots of other bands in it. When the stones came on it was around 5am and the most of the crowd, and bands were out of their minds

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rolling_Stones_Rock_and_Roll_Circus

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    Rock n roll circus is worth a watch. Lots of other bands in it. When the stones came on it was around 5am and the most of the crowd, and bands were out of their minds
    ]

The cut of Brian there. Was his last show with the band.

The Who stole that show.

The Who stole that show.

Love that version, prefer it to the studio one. If you have it on dvd check out the easter eggs, jagger & the tiger is hilarious.

http://www.hiddendvdeastereggs.com/films/33770.html

rubadub wrote: »
    Love that version, prefer it to the studio one. If you have it on dvd check out the easter eggs, jagger & the tiger is hilarious.

Nice one cheers. Have the DVD but never saw that easter egg. You've read my file.

Standing tickets back up on Ticketmaster for this, sales have been grim l say

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Conchir

Missed GA standing tickets when they first went on sale and ever since I've been thinking about either buying seats or going onto Viagogo and getting GA there.

Well instead of that I checked ticketmaster just there and got two GA tickets for the original €70 price. Brilliant! Thank god I was so uncertain about buying off Viagogo, just saved a good chunk of money per ticket.

Edit: just checked viagogo, I'm even more glad I held off now. Best prices there for standing are up at €130, would have made my blood boil handing that over.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Conchir wrote: »
    Thank god I was so uncertain about buying off Viagogo, just saved a good chunk of money per ticket.

Edit: just checked viagogo, I'm even more glad I held off now. Best prices there for standing are up at €130, would have made my blood boil handing that over.

For the love of God don't buy off those gangsters ,you'd probably end up with a fake ticket .

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Conchir

Zardoz wrote: »
    For the love of God don't buy off those gangsters ,you'd probably end up with a fake ticket .

Fear of missing out can do strange things to a person, glad it didn't get to that stage.

Stones always do this with tickets, section is sold out and then magically reappears, rinse and repeat, they musta shifted the required quota of expensive seats to re-list standing tickets

Still on sale. They were trying to panic people into buying the **** seats first.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Any word on a support act?

• Advertisement

boyznoise wrote: »
    Stones always do this with tickets,

stones? I reckon it is TM, happens with plenty of gigs. I keep an eye on sales of many gigs I have no interest in going to. So I can predict what will happen with ones I do want tickets for.

I was surprised to get a general standing ticket so easily for this. I think it was yourself who was saying a while back they reckoned they would be held back a lot, and I thought the same. I am surprised they are back on sale so early. It is really screwing over their seatwave accomplices!

Any word on a support act?

Prob announced closer to the gig id say

Hopefully it's someone decent and not an unknown act

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Prob announced closer to the gig id say

Hopefully it's someone decent and not an unknown act

Rolling Stones plus very special guests The Coronas

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Snow Patrol likely

Snow Patrol likely

Id take that and would also take the Coronas too

The Stones pick odd enough support acts and we coild see someone like 'kool and the gang" or something

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭xpletiv

Am surprised by lack of ticket sales still, being Stones and all, but glad to see scalpers suffering. A scourge on our society.

xpletiv wrote: »
    Am surprised by lack of ticket sales still, being Stones and all, but glad to see scalpers suffering. A scourge on our society.

Yeah Really thought it would sell well but a lot of factors including price, date etc. Its around collage exam time, school graduations. At the end of the day it's quite unusual to have a big scale Croke Park concert on a weekday, RHCP in 2012 was a Tuesday night and it sold horribly but that was a bit of mess up by MCD and should of been in the Aviva or RDS

Hoping it's not too empty that it takes away from the show itself and can't wait for it

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭wacotaco

Yeah Really thought it would sell well but a lot of factors including price, date etc. Its around collage exam time, school graduations. At the end of the day it's quite unusual to have a big scale Croke Park concert on a weekday, RHCP in 2012 was a Tuesday night and it sold horribly but that was a bit of mess up by MCD and should of been in the Aviva or RDS

Hoping it's not too empty that it takes away from the show itself and can't wait for it

Nearly every seat is available to buy.

• Advertisement

wacotaco wrote: »
    Nearly every seat is available to buy.

Which is a good thing. Same for Paul Simon. No where near sold out. Seems the Irish are voting with our wallets.

Advertisement