Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Rolling Stones - 17th May 2018 - Croke Park - *Discussion Only / No Ticket Sales*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,402 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The academic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Greg81

PTH2009 wrote: »
    The academic

Looks like I can skip the support.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭Zardoz

The academic

Typical penny pinching rubbish support act ,seriously why did they even bother .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

You'd think they would get the finger out and get a decent support act, ffs....

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭corm500

Wow, that’s pretty poor compared to the uk supports

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Pinkman

Ticket sales mustn't be as bad as it seems or they would've surely got a bigger name to support?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Greg81 wrote: »
    Looks like I can skip the support.

Found myself saying "Looks like I can skip the gig".

Being facetious of course, but the Stones are not helping matters with this announcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Never heard of them

Presume it's Aiken who book the support and not the Stones?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

The academic

Is that it? Ah ffs. I'm sure they're grand and all but they're not on the same level as the UK support acts. That's disappointing. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Billy Mays wrote: »
    Never heard of them

I'd strongly advise you to keep it that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭davywalsh7

Pretty poor support considering tickets not sold out and the calibre of the uk support

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Juanner

Don't get this. The Academic are playing the Iveagh Gardens in the summer. So, if you're a fan, you're hardly going to pitch up to Croker for their support slot (for a hell of a lot more than it'll cost in the Iveaghs). And, for casual fans of The Stones – or curious onlookers – who are undecided about going, this announcement isn't going to do anything to push many people along. They're fine - catchy songs and all that - but they're not quite as eye-catching as Gallagher, Florence or Elbow. Very odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

At this stage, Aslan would have been a hell of a lot better...........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Juanner wrote: »
    Don't get this. The Academic are playing the Iveagh Gardens in the summer. So, if you're a fan, you're hardly going to pitch up to Croker for their support slot (for a hell of a lot more than it'll cost in the Iveaghs). And, for casual fans of The Stones – or curious onlookers – who are undecided about going, this announcement isn't going to do anything to push many people along. They're fine - catchy songs and all that - but they're not quite as eye-catching as Gallagher, Florence or Elbow. Very odd.

I've never heard of them. This is disappointing.

I thought we'd get (as someone said) the likes of Snow Patrol, or Blossoms or The Horrors.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,402 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Lazy Irish mentality

Aiken saying 'Ah they be grand'

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Stones support acts over the years have included: Stevie Wonder, Tina Turner, Bryan Adams, Chili Peppers, Buddy Guy, The Groundhogs, ZZ Top, Doobie Brothers, Van Halen, Patti Smith, Etta James, Toots and The Maytals, Beck, Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins, Wilco, Metallica, AC/DC and Guns n Roses.

Ireland 2018: The Academic.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Dark and Long

That is incredibly p!ss poor considering a) the ticket prices and b) the UK support acts. Wow

• Registered Users Posts: 15,647 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Is this a joke. The UK gets top notch acts like Liam G, Elbow, Florence and Machine. We get....the academic?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

I yearn for the happier times of this morning when Aslan was a possibility!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,647 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Lazy Irish mentality

Aiken saying 'Ah they be grand'

Or perhaps they have sunk a big wedge into this already and are trying to minimise further expense

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Seems to be the norm here now ,garbage support acts.

Do you remember when we actually got lineups like this
    U2,Red Hot Chili Peppers,Coldplay or U2,Ash,Moby,Nelly Furtado or Red Hot Chili Peppers,Foo Fighters,Queens of the Stone Age, and Feeder.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

I've never heard of them. This is disappointing.

I thought we'd get (as someone said) the likes of Snow Patrol, or Blossoms or The Horrors.
    The Academic are much bigger here than The Horrors and Blossoms. Today FM play them all the time.

amusingly, they sound similar enough to Blossoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,121 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

To think I was disappointed when it was rumoured to be Snow Patrol...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

it was never going to be a big name that could sell out or come close to selling out the 3 arena by them selves.

They're the type of band that go on first at these kind of gigs when there are 3/4 bands playing. If they're going to be the only support band it's a bit of a joke, considering how much they're charging for tickets and how many tickets are still unsold.

I'd say you'd have no problem getting a band like to play the gig for free, probably why they've been booked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

They're the type of band that go on first at these kind of gigs when there are 3/4 bands playing. If they're going to be the only support band it's a bit of a joke, considering how much they're charging for tickets and how many tickets are still unsold.

I'd say you'd have no problem getting a band like to play the gig for free, probably why they've been booked.

How many tickets are still unsold?

Lots

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Lots
    That many?

Seriously, is there a way to check how many tickets are still on sale for any gig? I'd like to see how various gigs are selling.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

That many?

Seriously, is there a way to check how many tickets are still on sale for any gig? I'd like to see how various gigs are selling.

Unless you have a contact at ticketmaster or with the promotor I don't think there's anywhere that could track ticket sales. I'd imagine it would be pretty sensitive info. Especially if a gig isn't selling well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

it was never going to be a big name that could sell out or come close to selling out the 3 arena by them selves.
    I actually did think it was going to be a big name that could sell out 3arena
    Or perhaps they have sunk a big wedge into this already and are trying to minimise further expense
    I doubt they have to pay a lot to the support acts, bands would be falling over themselves to get a chance to say they supported the stones, who cannot have too many tours left in them. Even if it did cost a lot I thought it would have been wise to try and shift all the remaining tickets.

This will lead to missed sales, I imagine lots could have been turned and gone if the support was good. As I said before, when ashcroft was added to liam gallagher in malahide plenty were saying "well thats decided it for me, deffo going now". I think people underestimate the pull of a good support, personally I usually skip them, but know several who value support acts quite a bit. I was expecting 2 supports to make it seem like more of a day out or "mini festival", people might have been able to coax partners to come along.

and I guess Aiken gets a cut of the drink money in croke park too -many will stick to pubs now and head in when the stones are due on.
    You can get an idea looking at the ticket pages. Loads of good spots still on sale, the cheap 70 standing are still on sale which I find amazing. Also lucky dip tickets are on sale -so they are basically resorting to dropping the price in a sly way. No lucky dips are on sale for any other of the gigs, and I wonder if they ever did reappear for sale.

Advertisement