Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Rolling Stones - 17th May 2018 - Croke Park - *Discussion Only / No Ticket Sales*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

I've received my ticket. But TM and all the other agents (particularly the UK ones) can be a bit weird about sending tickets out lately, sometimes it's literally about eight days beforehand. I was at The Who in London year or two ago, only received my ticket three days before.

The Stones should have put tickets on sale even subject to licence Christmas week.

I was at the Roy Orbison Hologram Sunday night. It was packed. What does it say about the human mind when the hologram sells out and the Stones don't?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

I've received my ticket. But TM and all the other agents (particularly the UK ones) can be a bit weird about sending tickets out lately, sometimes it's literally about eight days beforehand. I was at The Who in London year or two ago, only received my ticket three days before.

The Stones should have put tickets on sale even subject to licence Christmas week.

I was at the Roy Orbison Hologram Sunday night. It was packed. What does it say about the human mind when the hologram sells out and the Stones don't?

Big price difference I'd image

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

They couldn't. The city council would have seen it as the promoter trying to force their hand, "look, we've sold all these tickets, you have to give us the licence" and it would never have got through.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,402 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

So the Kooks are supporting them in Germany with Glourious sons supporting in France

Aiken really cheated us here in terms of support

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

PTH2009 wrote: »
    So the Kooks are supporting them in Germany with Glourious sons supporting in France

...And they cheated Germany & France :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

PTH2009 wrote: »

I'd much prefer The Academic than the Kooks.
    Anyway, it doesn't matter who the support act is. Their volume will be well down, and what ever people are in the stadium will probably just talk over them. And I would expect lots of the same people to talk over the stones too!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

never heard of The Glorious Sons, and having googled them, they're basically nobodies outside Canada. so not much different to The Academic in Ireland, although at least The Academic have had a no.1 album here.

The Kooks are ****e, although I guess they had a few catchy songs 10+ years ago...

rock and a hard place is such as catchy but terrible song at the same time lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pYBQg4qifU

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

is this selling poorly?

bigpink wrote: »
    is this selling poorly?

pretty much from what were hearing in the press

a lot of Radio stations are giving tickets way like confetti

still though its the stones in Croke park and prob the last time we see them live here and im going to enjoy the day

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Thought it would sell out fast?Wonder is timing a factor with it being May

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I think the fact it is €188 for a decent seat in a stadium with potentially crap sound and poor facilities has a lot more to do with it. Also hear complaints of stupidly long queues for very overpriced beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Goreme

Do you think if it was Bruce Springsteen playing in Croke Park on Thursday, May 17th that there would still be tickets available for (this) one gig? Don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

rubadub wrote: »

I think the fact it is €188 for a decent seat in a stadium with potentially crap sound and poor facilities has a lot more to do with it. Also hear complaints of stupidly long queues for very overpriced beer.

Crouching tiger hidden naggin job.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭BurtMacklin

Whats the pat down system like? Haven't been in a gig in Croker in years.

Whats the pat down system like? Haven't been in a gig in Croker in years.

Ive never been to a croker gig but naggin/hip flask down the crotch of the jeans has never failed me at any festival. For obvious reasons security have no right to inspect that part of your anatomy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Ive never been to a croker gig but naggin/hip flask down the crotch of the jeans has never failed me at any festival. For obvious reasons security have no right to inspect that part of your anatomy.

search youtube for how to reseal water bottles. Easy and virtually undetectable.

Unless you put a gin and tonic into a bottle of 'still water'. Not that I've done that or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Goreme wrote: »
    Do you think if it was Bruce Springsteen playing in Croke Park on Thursday, May 17th that there would still be tickets available for (this) one gig? Don't think so.

The Stones don't have the appeal in the rest of the country that Springsteen does though. The Boss has a very broad appeal.

Springsteen gigs in Ireland are always full of bus loads of animals from the midlands. White tshirts, Lee jeans, white socks, black shoes, ordering 4 pints at a time, "G'WAN BROOCEAAAY".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭thebull85

search youtube for how to reseal water bottles. Easy and virtually undetectable.

Unless you put a gin and tonic into a bottle of 'still water'. Not that I've done that or anything.

Do they allow you to bring a bottle of water into the venue though? I would of thought all bottles would have to be dumped before entering.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Bruce doesn't charge €463 for a pit ticket...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

All areas available in TM, including standing. This isn't selling. In a way I'm glad, not getting into the pit in Croker is a waste of time. Maybe bands might start reconsidering ripping people off to get close.

thebull85 wrote: »
    Do they allow you to bring a bottle of water into the venue though? I would of thought all bottles would have to be dumped before entering.

They'll take it off you. Hipflasks for the win.

Indeed. The Stones don't have the same following. Mainly down to them. They couldn't give a fcuk. Which is part of their appeal, until it comes to buying tickets.

Nothing new though.

"November 15, 1969

The Rolling Stones Impose High Ticket Prices for U.S. Tour
    "Is that a lot?" says Mick Jagger"

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/the-rolling-stones-impose-high-ticket-prices-for-u-s-tour-19691115

The Nal wrote: »
    All areas available in TM, including standing. This isn't selling. In a way I'm glad, not getting into the pit in Croker is a waste of time. Maybe bands might start reconsidering ripping people off to get close.

thebull85 wrote: »

They'll take it off you. Hipflasks for the win.

Indeed. The Stones don't have the same following. Mainly down to them. They couldn't give a fcuk. Which is part of their appeal, until it comes to buying tickets.

Nothing new though.

"November 15, 1969

The Rolling Stones Impose High Ticket Prices for U.S. Tour
    "Is that a lot?" says Mick Jagger"

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/the-rolling-stones-impose-high-ticket-prices-for-u-s-tour-19691115

Mick does have a university degree in business after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

That hologram gig started at 9pm and lights were on before 9.50pm, I think "Roy" was on stage for 40 minutes max and for €69 that's what I would call an out and out rip off.

The Stones are steep but it's one of the greatest bands in music history and probably the last time they will be here. They don't quite have the broad appeal and the fact they've only ever played 5 previous gigs in Ireland possibly means they have never built up the hardcore support others have.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Goreme

The Stones don't have the appeal in the rest of the country that Springsteen does though. The Boss has a very broad appeal.

Springsteen gigs in Ireland are always full of bus loads of animals from the midlands. White tshirts, Lee jeans, white socks, black shoes, ordering 4 pints at a time, "G'WAN BROOCEAAAY".

Whereas The Stones' crowd will be urbane, intellectual and sophisticated!! Ha Ha ha ha ha ha...... :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭ewj1978

ouch!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

The Stones don't have the appeal in the rest of the country that Springsteen does though. The Boss has a very broad appeal
    He's also a better performer and provides a better bang for your buck.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Teacher0101

don't think ol mick finished his Business degree at the London School of Economics. I've read stories of him backstage after gigs going through receipts, meant to be a notorious skinflint.

Couldn't justify that price. TBH they were never great live. Great singles band, 'Beggars Banquet', 'Let It Bleed' and 'Exile' are classics along with 60s singles. But apart from the very odd single, as in 'Miss You', 'Start me Up', their last good album was 'Exile' in 1972!

but hey, if you're mad into them, that's cool - if you are, I'd go cos they're pretty much using a lot of backing musicians live now and I'd say this will be it realistically.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 823 ✭✭✭q2xv9rjei4awgb

He's also a better performer and provides a better bang for your buck.

Debatable tbh

I suppose it depends on how big a fan you are.
    I went to see him in the RDS 9 years ago. Great show obviously but, I'm not a major fan so I didn't get much enjoyment out of it as I was unfamiliar with a lot of tracks

Bruce is great and I love what I've heard from him, but because he performs for 3 hours, doesn't make it any better than a band who plays for two hours.

Advertisement