Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Rolling Stones - 17th May 2018 - Croke Park - *Discussion Only / No Ticket Sales*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

The Nal wrote: »
    The relief washed over me in an awesome wave.

But what if you don't get a decent table at Espace? ;)

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭RockDesk

Does anyone have a photo of Ronnie's shoes?! I've seen people mention them and I was in upper Cusack so wasn't in any position to be seeing their shoes!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

Really enjoyed that. I arrived in around 5 mins before the Academic came on stage, the stadium was very empty. I heard one lad say it was like walking into a Leitrim V louth match! I enjoyed the Academic, I actually knew more of their songs than a thought. As for the stones, simply superb. I was beside the sound tent thing near the cusack stand for the first few songs. Lots of people pushing past constantly, and with all the phones recording the gig it was hard to see the stage. I went to the toilet, and on the way back stayed close to the side line, at around "mid field". I was close to the make shift bars, and had loads of room to move around. The sound was actually decent too, so my self any my other half just stayed there for the rest of the night. I'd say it was over 90% full, loads of people were still streaming in 4-5 songs into the set.
    I'd love to see them again on this tour, the stage is probably the best stage I've ever seen. the 4 massive screens were a great idea.
    I really hope they play Ireland again some day soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

I was on the general admission standing I could see most of the stage but there's always one super tall ****er in your way could barely see the catwalk and the stage was blocked a good bit too.

Despite, some super drunk and drugged up people it was a mega gig.

The setlist was one that would have pleased the hardcore fans. Played neighbours and worst from the first time in years. Last 7 songs really picked up the pace and the place was buzzing.

So glad I went, I really need to appreciate what these guys do at their age. 100% would go again if they ever came back here.

Highlights: Tumbling dice, start me up, brown sugar, gimme shelter, satisfaction.

It's ironic that if the Stones were to announce another Dublin date in the morning it would sell out in five minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

It's ironic that if the Stones were to announce another Dublin date in the morning it would sell out in five minutes.

no it wouldn't, let's be a bit realistic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

But what if you don't get a decent table at Espace? ;)

Nobody goes there anymore.

For anyone who saw the Garda vans ramming the car last night while leaving the gig

https://www.google.com/amp/www.thejournal.ie/croke-park-car-4020179-May2018/?amp=1

• Registered Users Posts: 38,402 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

For anyone who saw the Garda vans ramming the car last night while leaving the gig

https://www.google.com/amp/www.thejournal.ie/croke-park-car-4020179-May2018/%3famp=1

Saw a garda bike Chase a car alright

Scary thought if he had arrived a few mins earlier when the crowd were leaving ?? You'd be killed stone dead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Very negligent by Gardai if you ask me. Obviously (hopefully) they had valid reasons to pursue the vehicle but panicking a criminal into a car chase in a crowded street with thousands of street gatherers, many of them drunk and careless themselves is not the smartest tactic

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭argentum

Just in connection with the rules regarding drink on the pitch.
    Absolutely no soft drinks allowed on the pitch including mixed gin drinks that were sold outside the stands.The signs at all shops clearly stated this because the grass gets destroyed by soft drinks but not beer
    You weren't allowed bring in alcohol bought outside the search lines onto the pitch because they could have been mixed with anything outside.That's why you could only buy carlsberg on the pitch because the bottles were sealed before they were purchased.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Was in Fibbers myself after. Good craic in there. Ran the junkie gauntlet down O'Connell St then for a taxi.

Got cornered by 1 coming out on clonliffe road , any change, I say sorry none at the minute , any coke instead then:)

Very negligent by Gardai if you ask me. Obviously (hopefully) they had valid reasons to pursue the vehicle but panicking a criminal into a car chase in a crowded street with thousands of street gatherers, many of them drunk and careless themselves is not the smartest tactic

The whole thing was bizarre and surreal.
    Seemed like a dangerous maneuver as it happened right beside a huge group of people on the path. Who knows what had happened prior, so I’m sure it was deemed necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

mightyreds wrote: »
    Got cornered by 1 coming out on clonliffe road , any change, I say sorry none at the minute , any coke instead then:)

He could have been a mockie.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

mightyreds wrote: »

with the recent sugar tax a chipper near me has upped the price to 1.30 a can, so no surprise if coke addicts will genuinely be mugging grannies for their fix. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Went down to Croker about an hour beforehand to see of there were any cheap tickets going and ended up getting 2 collector tickets for less than half price.
    Loads of cheap tickets floating around in the afternoon but due to the weather,
    lot of walk up punters arrived which pushed the prices up from the touts.
    Loads looking for tickets outside the Ticketmaster van around 8pm but they
    had no standing tickets available and touts were also trying to get them.
    Lot of empty space at the back of the standing area all through the concert and some empty seats around us and no chance of getting into the standing area as lot of the front rows were covered off.
    Sound was really good but the view from the Davin was terrible.
    If I go to another concert there, deffo won't be in the Davin again!
    Would have rightly hacked off if I had paid €142 for it.
    Stewards where we were, were more interested in dancing than showing people to their seats late on.

Think they will need to look at the high prices again if they want to fill
    Croker in the future!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,034 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Wheety wrote: »
    All the Luas were packed too but they seemed to be every couple of minutes which is not normal for that time but obviously someone in there is paying attention. These were not near Croker either. These were back in town.

Is Luai the plural form of Luas? Did anyone make it to the green line Luas? I'm just wondering if it is a workable post-gig transport plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,023 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Is Luai the plural form of Luas? Did anyone make it to the green line Luas? I'm just wondering if it is a workable post-gig transport plan.

I did. Got on at Parnell after the walk back from Croke Park. It was jammed after everyone got on.

I did. Got on at Parnell after the walk back from Croke Park. It was jammed after everyone got on.

Thanks - were you waiting long or miss any trams because they were too full?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,023 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Thanks - were you waiting long or miss any trams because they were too full?

When I got to the station, one had just left and didn't seem too busy but the one I got on was jammed.

The annoyance is that the luas comes infrequently that late and I had to wait 10ish minutes which obviously meant that the station got very busy.

When I got to the station, one had just left and didn't seem too busy but the one I got on was jammed.

The annoyance is that the luas comes infrequently that late and I had to wait 10ish minutes which obviously meant that the station got very busy.

Thanks, very helpful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,402 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

any bootlegs of the gig around yet ??

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭ned rierson

PTH2009 wrote: »
    any bootlegs of the gig around yet ??
    There is a recording on Dime

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Still thinking about Thursday night and how surprisingly good it was. Probably because it was a Thurs and should have been a Fri or Sat.

Stones energy is too dense to handle on a school night.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if they came back sooner rather than later a la Nile Rodgers/Grace Jones. Maybe to the Aviva/3Arena.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

Still thinking about Thursday night and how surprisingly good it was. Probably because it was a Thurs and should have been a Fri or Sat.

Stones energy is too dense to handle on a school night.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if they came back sooner rather than later a la Nile Rodgers/Grace Jones. Maybe to the Aviva/3Arena.

I'd go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Enjoyable night. But poor sound on the pitch. Can’t beat the 3 Arena for sound. Stones were brilliant there in 2003.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭lambayire

Wheety wrote: »
    Nope. People around me on the pitch were removing their own caps.

It must be just a a money thing. I can't think of any other reason why you can't bring your drink from the concourse onto the pitch. Maybe Croke Park sell the drink outside and Aiken get a cut of the drink inside?

It's a pitch thing. Spoke to a Croker staff member over the weekend.
    The heard groundsman is positively neurotic about his grass. He did use to be in charge of the Emirates Stadium pitch at Arsenal.

So no open glassed beverages allowed on the pitch. Pints, wine etc...

Plastic bottles are allowed as the is some hope that the drink won't be spilled onto the precious grass.

finbarrk wrote: »
    Enjoyable night. But poor sound on the pitch. Can’t beat the 3 Arena for sound. Stones were brilliant there in 2003.

That was the old Point. 3 Arena sound can be absolutely terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

That was the old Point. 3 Arena sound can be absolutely terrible.

i must be lucky as i've never been at a gig in the new arena with a ****e sound

scudzilla wrote: »
    i must be lucky as i've never been at a gig in the new arena with a ****e sound

Been to loads. When the seats are all up the sound goes around the back into where the bars etc are and comes back into the arena as echo/delay. Its a baffling design flaw.

Its like watching a gig in a Homebase.

The Stones were nowhere near as good in 03 as last week. Alcoholic Ronnie and drunk Keef. They sounded really ropey at times. They're playing as good now as they have for decades.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Been to loads. When the seats are all up the sound goes around the back into where the bars etc are and comes back into the arena as echo/delay. Its a baffling design flaw.

Its like watching a gig in a Homebase.

The Stones were nowhere near as good in 03 as last week. Alcoholic Ronnie and drunk Keef. They sounded really ropey at times. They're playing as good now as they have for decades.

Its all subjective.

This place is full of sound experts after every gig.

Advertisement