Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Rolling Stones - 17th May 2018 - Croke Park - *Discussion Only / No Ticket Sales*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,402 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Zardoz wrote: »
    Her ticket sales are tanking all over the world.
    Pure greed on her behalf and her promoter Livenation.
    Alot of the recent Livenation acts are struggling due to rip off ticket prices.

wait til you see the stones prices

reckon they jumped the gun for the 2nd date and look at the chaos that could cause.

it's really the city managers decision but in fairness he did licence 6 concerts in 2014 with only the 1D shows taking place we all the rest of the story

• Registered Users Posts: 12,023 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Her ticket sales are tanking all over the world.
    Pure greed on her behalf and her promoter Livenation.
    Alot of the recent Livenation acts are struggling due to rip off ticket prices.

You can still buy floor seating in generally good spots as well as good seats in the stands for her second night which goes to show how poorly it has sold. That said, they are priced at €144 a pop which is outrageous for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭Zardoz

You can still buy floor seating in generally good spots as well as good seats in the stands for her second night which goes to show how poorly it has sold. That said, they are priced at €144 a pop which is outrageous for her.

Ludicrous prices for a crossover artist ,whose fan age demographic would mostly be kids.
    Her false persona is quickly being exposed .

Who in their right mind thinks people are going to spend 700 euro for a VIP seat which is really just a standard seat and about 20 euro worth of junk tacked on.

PTH2009 wrote: »

That's some crappy resale site .

I heard that they have a lucky dip option for the Stones tickets ,you get tickets cheaply in the presale but you don't know where the tickets are until you collect on the day .
    Alot of the tickets actually turned out to be standing or golden circle standing so it was a good option.

• Advertisement

That's some crappy resale site .

I heard that they have a lucky dip option for the Stones tickets ,you get tickets cheaply in the presale but you don't know where the tickets are until you collect on the day .
    Alot of the tickets actually turned out to be standing or golden circle standing so it was a good option.

prob buy a seated ticket myself cause I don't like standing and don't want to take the gamble. Old Trafford night 2 (Tues 5th June) is option 2 for me if Dublin doesn't get the green light

I paid €202 for u2 last year and was in row q of 333 of the lower Hogan terrific view and sound

all rumoured dates (sum are unknown)

Thu May 17 2018 Croke Park Dublin Ireland 80,000 RUMOURED

Tue May 22 2018
    London England, UK
    RUMOURED

Fri May 25 2018
    London England, UK
    RUMOURED

Sat Jun 2 2018 Old Trafford stadium Manchester England, UK 60,000 Rumoured

Tue Jun 5 2018 Old Trafford stadium Manchester England, UK 60,000 RUMOURED

May/June 2018 St Mary's stadium Southampton England, UK 30,000 RUMOURED

May/June 2018 Villa Park stadium Birmingham England, UK 40,000 RUMOURED

May/June 2018 Murrayfield stadium Edinburgh Scotland, UK 50,000 RUMOURED

Tue Jun 19 2018 Twickenham Stadium London England, UK 55,000 RUMOURED

Sat Jun 23 2018 Olympiastadion Berlin Germany 75,000 RUMOURED

Tue Jun 26 2018 Stade Vélodrome Marseilles France 60,000 RUMOURED

Sat June 30 2018 Mercedes-Benz Arena Stuttgart Germany 55,000 RUMOURED

Wed Jul 4 2018 Letnany field Prague Czech Republic 80,000 RUMOURED

Sat Jul 7 2018 National Stadium Narodowy Warsaw Poland 70,000 RUMOURED

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

DylanB85 wrote: »
    I feel so bad for the residents. Must have been difficult for a multi purpose stadium to just suddenly appear out of the blue once their houses were already bought.

But seriously I wouldn’t worry too much about it. No way this gig doesn’t go ahead, if any gig is gonna be cancelled it’s Taylor Swifts second night because it’s not gonna come close to selling out.

Disclaimer - local resident.

Now, there wasn’t a multi-purpose stadium in place before most locals moved in. Other than the extremely rare Ali fight or American football showcase, the stadium was always used for GAA. Infrequent influx of fans who brought sangwitches and flasks for the bonnet, made an afternoon’s quotient of noise and then fecked off at dusk. That’s the extent of inconvenience that living beside the stadium brought. The gradual increase in gigs, and the increased disruption and headaches they bring for residents is a change that really shouldn’t be dismissed without pause.

Personally I like the gigs. They’re a bit of fun, and you might get a locals lottery ticket (my musically-challenged sister got the benefit of a pair of Westlife tickets I won), or if not, you can just have a bbq and enjoy the gig from your back garden. But I can understand that it winds up others, who don’t see a day’s access lockdown, stage builds/breakdowns and stadium lights going on into the small hours for a few days, anti-social antics and people pissing into your garden/doorway as something they really should pretend is an obligation on them. The stadium understand that they have a responsibility as a neighbour - and liaison with locals is part and parcel of that. That’s the reason there’s a limit to the number of events of such disruption that they can reasonably expect to impose on the residents.

alastair wrote: »

Now, there wasn’t a multi-purpose stadium in place before most locals moved in. Other than the extremely rare Ali fight or American football showcase, the stadium was always used for GAA. Infrequent influx of fans who brought sangwitches and flasks for the bonnet, made an afternoon’s quotient of noise and then fecked off at dusk. That’s the extent of inconvenience that living beside the stadium brought. The gradual increase in gigs, and the increased disruption and headaches they bring for residents is a change that really shouldn’t be dismissed without pause.

Personally I like the gigs. They’re a bit of fun, and you might get a locals lottery ticket (my musically-challenged sister got the benefit of a pair of Westlife tickets I won), or if not, you can just have a bbq and enjoy the gig from your back garden. But I can understand that it winds up others, who don’t see a day’s access lockdown, stage builds/breakdowns and stadium lights going on into the small hours for a few days, anti-social antics and people pissing into your garden/doorway as something they really should pretend is an obligation on them. The stadium understand that they have a responsibility as a neighbour - and liaison with locals is part and parcel of that. That’s the reason there’s a limit to the number of events of such disruption that they can reasonably expect to impose on the residents.

from your experience what are the chances of another GB debacle happening with this show ???

Obv not as big but do u think Aiken will get scared off and abandon the gig or is it the DCC's decision at the end of the day ???

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

from your experience what are the chances of another GB debacle happening with this show ???

Obv not as big but do u think Aiken will get scared off and abandon the gig or is it the DCC's decision at the end of the day ???

Doubt it’ll be refused permission (IMO). Croke Park have upped their game on countering the worst of disruption, and all players (DCC included) have learned from the Garth Brooks mess.

Doubt it’ll be refused permission (IMO). Croke Park have upped their game on countering the worst of disruption, and all players (DCC included) have learned from the Garth Brooks mess.

http://www.98fm.com/Croke-Park-Residents-Told-To-Shut-Up-And-Stop-Whinging

good listen here, this group (the guy at the start) is strongly opposed and will fight tooth and nail to stop this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭DylanB85

I was just messing around lad :). I can understand how 4-5 concerts within a month of each other can get head wrecking with all the loud music, massive crowds, and drunk arseholes. Like it’s completely understandable that it’s not for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭DylanB85

Also the Garth Brooks concerts were all on consecutive days right? These ones are a bit more spread out

• Registered Users Posts: 9,792 ✭✭✭hynesie08

DylanB85 wrote: »
    Also the Garth Brooks concerts were all on consecutive days right? These ones are a bit more spread out

Yeah, I can't see the gig not going ahead, it's the only event there in May, so the locked in complaints are kind of redundant, especially if they set up and derig on the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

http://www.98fm.com/Croke-Park-Residents-Told-To-Shut-Up-And-Stop-Whinging

good listen here, this group (the guy at the start) is strongly opposed and will fight tooth and nail to stop this

Some good points particularly the promoters stubbornness to award a 2nd Taylor Swift gig to the venue despite early suggestions indicating tickets for the first show were not the movers for it necessary, could've given Cork the other show of hers they wouldn't turn down the business and the third date in the venue would've been free.

Guy saying we are a big enough country, we have plenty of stadiums! People go to Dublin why can't Dublin users go elsewhere? That fella wants to send other people outside Dublin when he clearly mustn't stray to often outside Dublin himself :D . Has he seen some of these stadiums ? our Transport links outside Dublin are so so poor for the most part but the road to Dublin isn't actually a rocky one in fact it's the most accessible one.

I think at this stage most of the country doesn't want to hear the words Croke Park and Residents go together again. Easy solution establish that 3 is defo 3 no moving the goal posts and tell Aiken if he wants a fourth show go find another venue and talk of fourth gig can never occur any future year. If residents are unhappy with 3 potential gigs on their doorstep move the doorstep somewhere else :pac::pac:

Some good points particularly the promoters stubbornness to award a 2nd Taylor Swift gig to the venue despite early suggestions indicating tickets for the first show were not the movers for it necessary, could've given Cork the other show of hers they wouldn't turn down the business and the third date in the venue would've been free.

Guy saying we are a big enough country, we have plenty of stadiums! People go to Dublin why can't Dublin users go elsewhere? That fella wants to send other people outside Dublin when he clearly mustn't stray to often outside Dublin himself :D . Has he seen some of these stadiums ? our Transport links outside Dublin are so so poor for the most part but the road to Dublin isn't actually a rocky one in fact it's the most accessible one.

I think at this stage most of the country doesn't want to hear the words Croke Park and Residents go together again. Easy solution establish that 3 is defo 3 no moving the goal posts and tell Aiken if he wants a fourth show go find another venue and talk of fourth gig can never occur any future year. If residents are unhappy with 3 potential gigs on their doorstep move the doorstep somewhere else :pac::pac:

That main guy sounds like a right snob.

The Stones had their shot at playing Croke Park last year ,when they had one of the three slots prebooked ,and pulled out over money issues.

Thanks to that debacle U2 and Coldplay could only play one concert at Croke Park last year ,two hugely popular bands,who could easily have sold out a second night.

Aiken is obviously trying to cover his losses on the Taylor Swift concerts ,which are selling appallingly ,by trying to add this fourth concert.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Loads in D1/D7 around Dorset St/capel St. So either they're fairly certain it's going ahead or it's for some completely unrelated issue.....

Seen one in D2 myself too on Lombard st

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Mr.S wrote: »
    Different promoters so that's a bit of a moot point.

I'd say they could ship the second date to the 3Arena at this rate! They saw the dollar signs and that second show is going to be woeful. Croke Park empty for a gig is depressing.

Ah didn't realize that well there's half the problem MCD and Aiken tussling over who gets the business before 3 slots are gone. Even so still think Cork or elsewhere should've been spread the other Swift show.

Aiken is obviously trying to cover his losses on the Taylor Swift concerts ,which are selling appallingly ,by trying to add this fourth concert.

Yeah prob has availed of some "comp" tickets to gigs in Croker :D

As pointed out by Mr. S all 3 slots are actually taken by MCD

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭MentalMario

Snow Patrol are back playing this Summer. Wouldn't surprise me if it was them.

Aiken are not the promoter of the Taylor Swift concerts, that's MCD.

Fair enough ,so its Boards favourite promoter.

I hope they make a nice loss on the Swift concerts .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

The Stones had their shot at playing Croke Park last year ,when they had one of the three slots prebooked ,and pulled out over money issues.

Thanks to that debacle U2 and Coldplay could only play one concert at Croke Park last year ,two hugely popular bands,who could easily have sold out a second night.

I heard Mick wasn't well around the time scheduled for Dublin either, had to have an operation or something.

I'd be surprised if this doesn't go ahead. DCC will realise this is the last stand for the Stones and shouldn't attract a rowdy crowd.

For Swifty it will be hugely embarrassing if the second date ends up pulled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

I'd love to know if the sales of the 2 Swift gigs would even add up to a sell out.

I'd say the first date will have sold well by the time it comes around and the second will struggle. MCD will probably seed out a ton of comp tickets to the media outlets for competitions to fill the stadium to an acceptable level.

MCD should start cutting the ticket prices now to try to fill it up .
    Happens alot in the US for concerts ,U2 did it on some of the less popular cities on the Joshua Tree tour.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Snow Patrol are back playing this Summer. Wouldn't surprise me if it was them.

They wouldnt sell out Croker(although either will the other 2 acts playing)

There were rumours of Snow Patrol supporting the Rolling stones in Croke Park

Tour Announcement monday there saying but surly Aiken would make a big mystery deal of this I reckon

I'll be angry if the residents win

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

There were rumours of Snow Patrol supporting the Rolling stones in Croke Park

Tour Announcement monday there saying but surly Aiken would make a big mystery deal of this I reckon

I'll be angry if the residents win

I hope they give us a few days to find the small goldmine that undoubtedly will be the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Fair enough ,so its Boards favourite promoter.

I hope they make a nice loss on the Swift concerts .

Every time a major artist bombs, Sales wise, it reduce our attraction as a venue. We are already seeing more and more artists exclude Ireland from tours. This will disimprove Post Brexit. Let’s not wish it to be worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Did MCD just misjudge where the market was for Taylor Swift if sales are that bad for the second night ?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Snow Patrol supporting the Stones would be a weird one imo , two very different bands (not saying it wont happen but just seems a bit of a random support)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Hoboo

I'd say the first date will have sold well by the time it comes around and the second will struggle. MCD will probably seed out a ton of comp tickets to the media outlets for competitions to fill the stadium to an acceptable level.

Would they not just pull the plug? And not just for MCD's ROI, but third parties. Id imagine a minimum ticket sale clause would be included in all contracts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Joekers

Advertisement