Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indoor Rower

• 01-02-2018 12:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭

What are peoples thoughts/experience of indoor rowing as cross training?
    What is the best way to use one?
    What benefits does indoor rowing have for fittness?
    What drawbacks? Etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

ultrapercy wrote: »
    What drawbacks? Etc

If you use incorrect technique it is very easy to hurt your back, which is especially easy to happen if you're tired.

Which is exactly why I stopped using them years ago. The lower back pain was severe and stayed with me for weeks.

Also, I'm not convinced the fitness you get from a rowing machine is particularly useful for runners. I know rowers are supremely fit but I'm less than convinced that it transfers particularly well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Shotgunmcos has a rower and uses it all the time. Maybe send him a PM for more info as he doesn't visit the running forum too much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

It's good for quad strength if used correctly but i concur with the injury risk if used incorrectly. I cringe watching people use them in gyms. I would tell anyone to stay away unless they are very sure of their technique. Drive from the legs (quads) and finish the stroke with your shoulders. My misspent youth was spent on a river and many many winter nights were spent on an ergo. We 'tested' on them throughout the year - i still have nightmares - we'd be puking getting off them. Not really relevant but the thread brought back memories. I guess it's a bit like a treadmill is for runners, it serves a purpose (for rowers) but it's not the same as the real thing. As for what it does for runners, I'm not sure really, strong quads and some cardio benefit i suppose, whatever floats your boat, just be careful :cool:

You can simulate running 'sessions' easily enough - warm-up, 1 min hard, 1 min recover x 10, cool-down type of thing. We used to do a 2k flat out test during racing season, we'd be covering 2k in around 7:xx if i remember correctly. I'm not sure what sort of times the lads would be doing. During the off-season we'd do 5k tests. Some nights we'd do a 60 min steady state, other nights it might be 3 x 20 minutes hard. Similar to running - endurance, speed, intervals etc.

Just make sure the technique is right. Smooth movements - the chain shouldn't wobble. Hinge forward from the hips, glide up and kick off with the legs and finish out with the shoulders and repeat. If you feel lower back pain then you're doing it wrong. And make sure you're doing lots of quad/hip flexor stretches afterwards ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

ariana` wrote: »
    It's good for quad strength if used correctly but i concur with the injury risk if used incorrectly. I cringe watching people use them in gyms. I would tell anyone to stay away unless they are very sure of their technique. Drive from the legs (quads) and finish the stroke with your shoulders. My misspent youth was spent on a river and many many winter nights were spent on an ergo. We 'tested' on them throughout the year - i still have nightmares - we'd be puking getting off them. Not really relevant but the thread brought back memories. I guess it's a bit like a treadmill is for runners, it serves a purpose (for rowers) but it's not the same as the real thing. As for what it does for runners, I'm not sure really, strong quads and some cardio benefit i suppose, whatever floats your boat, just be careful :cool:

Good info there thanks for that. I must say your definition of 'misspent' differs greatly from mine.

• Advertisement

ultrapercy wrote: »
    Good info there thanks for that. I must say your definition of 'misspent' differs greatly from mine.

Lol i guess the misspent bit was the time spent on the river bank after the training sessions :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2 noxgearireland

Adding to the already stated views on risk to lower back. I have definitely felt a lot more upright and stronger in my quads after sessions of rowing, but also on a few occasions have tweaked my back enough to have to run very easy for a few days. I think if you are diligent about adding it in as part of your regular training year round, rather than just doing it when you are not running, you will be a lot more successful.

Advertisement