Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recording broadcast quality speech with iPhone - possible?

Options
  • 01-02-2018 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭

I have an iPhone 6S Plus.

I also have a Rode mic that I use with the iPhone for video.

Can I record broadcast quality sound (speech/interviews etc.) with it?

If so, should I be using a specific App?

What about transferring to computer for editing etc.? How to do this?

Any other advice?

Thanks.

D.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

Dinarius wrote: »
    I have an iPhone 6S Plus.

I also have a Rode mic that I use with the iPhone for video.

Can I record broadcast quality sound (speech/interviews etc.) with it?

If so, should I be using a specific App?

What about transferring to computer for editing etc.? How to do this?

Any other advice?

Thanks.

D.

Fo recording - you can use the Memo Voice App on the iPhone. however, the audio quality will not be entirely great.

In terms of editing, you can use Audacity which is a free open source editing tool. Real easy to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I know nothing about microphones, but my gut feeling is that if the mic is good, the recording will be decent. To be honest, I used an old iPad a few months ago, using they internal mic, to record to additional audio for a conference video I was doing. Worked fine. Not brilliant but not bad. I'd imagine with a decent external mic and the right app you'd be fine.

What exactly do you mean my "broadcast quality", actually?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭Dinarius

What exactly do you mean my "broadcast quality", actually?

To be honest, I don't know myself! Hence my question.

I'm in photography; if I was asked for "reproduction quality", I would supply a 16bit TIFF in Adobe RGB.

So, I guess I'm wondering what the audio equivalent is.

Like in photography, are there different file types for audio? If so, which should you use?

As regards the iPhone; I guess the Rode mic with the inbuilt voice memo app should suffice then? I just thought there might be apps that offered the option to record at varying bit levels, and saving in different file formats?

Thanks.

D.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

It’s not broadcast quality. You’d need a professional mic for that.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Pretty much every broadcaster is putting out iPhone (and other mobile devices) recorded content daily, both video and audio.

Ferrite or rode record have good audio only options, or use filmic pro and cover the camera, easy to extract audio and it has good options too.

The rode smartlav+ is cheap and will give great results on your phone if positioned well and good ambient conditions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭Dinarius

copacetic wrote: »
    Pretty much every broadcaster is putting out iPhone (and other mobile devices) recorded content daily, both video and audio.

Ferrite or rode record have good audio only options, or use filmic pro and cover the camera, easy to extract audio and it has good options too.

The rode smartlav+ is cheap and will give great results on your phone if positioned well and good ambient conditions.

Thanks.

I'm using https://www.thomann.de/ie/rode_videomic_me.htm?glp=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2bmwtqmW2QIVqrXtCh37JwtyEAQYASABEgKnmvD_BwE

in conjunction with the RODE app. Quality is good.

D.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Dinarius wrote: »

That’s a good mic for general work or vox pop, but it wont be anywhere near as good as a lav mic for sit down interviews. They are a cheap addition too.

Advertisement