Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 phase Power question

Options
  • 01-02-2018 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi all

We have a 3 phase 32a socket in our workshop run over 4sq cable.

We want to set up a test unit that will be moved to trade shows.

Can we make off a 3 phase plug on a tail and connect the other end into a small fuse box,
    We’re we will divide up into 3 single phase main fuses and out to Mcbs to control individual appliances.

Example
    L1 appliance 5kw
    L2 appliance 2kw
    L3 sockets and lights approximately 1kw

Questions
    Could this work?

Would a 4 Sq cable be able to handle this ?

Would there be an unbalanced load ?

Any info or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    The gavel

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

A few points:
    1) A 32A socket should not be wired in a 4 mm sq. cable.
    2) Is never possible to perfectly balance different single phase loads across a 3 phase supply. This is why a neutral is required. You just balance as best you can (like your suggestion).
    3) Cables should be sized to suit the load and length of cable run.
    4) Protective devices such as MCBs should be selected so that they provide adequate protection to cabling.
    5) A 3 phase 5 pin plug can be used to supply a temporary board however cables must be correctly sized.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 the gavel

Hi 2011 , thanks for the response

I thought the cable was a bit small all right.

So if the cable was say 10mm or 16mm suppling the 3 phase red socket.

Could I make a 10sq cable off on red plug top and at the other end get a small fuse box and connect

L1 L2 L3 to 3 single phase main fuses with 32a fuse
    And neutral to unprotected neutral bar

From there connect L1 and L2 into 2 x 32a RCBO and L3 to a 20a RCBO and a 10a mcb.
    Linking all neutrals back to main bar

Would this work ?

Would there be a problem with the neutral?

Thanks again
    The gavel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Tuco88

It might be very difficult to terminate anything larger than 6mm^2 into that 3phase plug i would think.

..at least a 32A 3 phase plug.^
    You'll fit it in a 63A....don't worry I already got my coat. :p
    tomatosplat.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

An important point to consider too is what power options are available at the trade shows.

• Advertisement
Advertisement