Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kindle Fire HD

Options
  • 01-02-2018 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭

I have a Kindle Fire HD (5th Generation) that was functioning perfectly up until the New Year (even while abroad) ....but now is unable to connect to my wifi. Even though I'm beside the Router Kindle tells me it is not in range - my laptop has no problem connecting to my wifi at a far greater distance. I have jumped through all the hoops suggested by Amazon's website....the Kindle shows other wifi's with varying degrees of signal power (1 bar to a full 4 bars).... something I have difficulty comprehending. Advice as to solution appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭Xterminator

well have you reset the kindle?

To reset your Fire tablet:
    Swipe down from the top of the screen and tap Settings.
    Tap Device Options, and then tap Reset to Factory Defaults.
    Tap Reset to confirm.

if you did that already, dont so it again!

assuming that does not resolve the problem, try going to mcdonalds or starbucks and try their wifi.
    to rule out the issue being your broadband connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭rgodard80a

Did you alter the router setting to avoid broadcasting the SSID ?
    Or add any security settings eg. only whitelisting known MAC addresses of devices ?
    Did you give your tablet a fixed IP address at any stage ?

I'd reboot the router to start... and try to reconnect again.
    After that remove the WIFI connections set on the tablet and try reconnecting from scratch, selecting the Wifi SSID and entering the password.

Other options... install "Wifi Analyzer" on an Android phone and check if your neighbours Wifi is overlapping and interfering with your signal.

Also, IPads can cause problems holding on to an IP address lease on the router much longer than they should.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Hibrasil

Thanks very much folks for taking the trouble to reply......when I "attacked" the problem again after forgetting it for about 3 weeks (in despair)..... somewhere oh the Amazon site I discovered that the 5th Generation of the Kindle Fire can only connect to wifi in through channels 1 to 11. My router was set at channel 12 - how that happened I am at a loss because Kindle was connecting to WiFi last year. When I changed channel to 7.......Voila......thanks again folks Kind Regards from a happy man :):)

Advertisement