Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renewing Provisional Licence after inactivity

Options
  • 01-02-2018 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Apologies for the question it might be obvious to some people but not to me.
    I held a provisional bike licence when i rode a bike back in 2010-2013, but then i sold the bike and drove a car due to work until now and the bike licence expired.
    Due to upcoming circumstances and a want to ride again I'd like to renew my licence and eventually earn the full licence.

My question is, would I need to do another theory test and complete the IBT Course (of which i've not done previously but I know how to ride a motorbike) to get my provisional back?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

/pedant moment/ Sorry, it's a learner permit.

There are a few variables - if you got your first permit in 2010, you should have probably got a 2 year permit from so it expires in 2012. Theoretically, you could have renewed in 2012 for another two years. If that be the case, that permit would still be renewable today as it's expired for less than 5 years.

There are circumstances where the above may not have been the case (eg if you had a car categories on the same permit that forbade the permit being issued for two years.

The best thing to do is call the NDLS with your driver number and they'll let you know how you're fixed. If your motorcycle categories are not renewable, then it's most likely that you would have to repeat the theory test for the bike too.

The next question is if you've completed IBT or not. This is important.

TL;DR - worst case scenario you're a full start-over. Middle case scenario, you may have to start over but avoid the theory test. Best case scenario, you can renew your old permit but you must book a driving test in advance.

The best thing is call the NDLS and report back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

your ok if it hasnt gone expired over 5 years , Bring your expired provisional into your NDLS office with 2 signed passport size photos, fill out the renewal form and pay them the renewal fee of 15e. This permit will be valid for 2 years.

If it is your 3rd or more learner permit, you will need to provide proof that you have either sat a driving test and not been successful, (failure cert) This permit will be valid for 2 years, or that you have booked a driving test. (booking confirmation or email)

This permit will be valid for 1 year in order to allow you to sit your test.

For all of the above, the renewal fee is 15e.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Colm17RvB

One thing to be aware of as well is your category entitlement as 2010 "provisionals" were in the old system. You could renew and only get an A2 now as you were on the old restricted A and this is the closest to that in essence. In that case you can then get an A added to your new shiney learner permit, but that'd be dated from now and then subject to IBT.

As cantdecide said get in touch with NDLS and chat to them to see where you're at. Also, your driver number on your category B car licence (whether it be full or learner) is the same as your A. If you still have the old permit on you the dates should be on it and that'll give you an idea before you ring NDLS.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭drunkymonkey

Hey all,
    Thanks for all your replies. I found my old 'permit' (apologies about the mislabeling- it was provisional when I did it last :) ) and it expired back in Oct 2011!! How time flies as I cannot believe I haven't been riding in that long.

I put the same questions in an email to the NLDS as per cantdecide's advise with a photocopy of my old permit. They replied after two days asking to confirm my DOB.
    I fully understand if I need to reapply for everything as it's been so long (and to be honest I could do with a refresher for training as you can never be too informed riding a motorbike), but I'd like to not do the theory test again.

I'll be booking the full test ASAP with some refresher training if I get the permit back easy enough.

I'll keep ye informed with what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

So that permit was no longer renewable after October of 2016 so you are a full start over but I'd say, if it were still renewable you would have IBT ahead of you anyway because of the introduction of IBT in 2010 and the *changeover from the old 'A-restricted' regime compared to the new 'A-unrestricted' licence categories.

*Do you know that because you're over 24, you can learn literally any bike unrestricted that you can get insurance on?? Lots has changed since you last rode.

Regarding the theory test, if you started driving cars and took the theory test between 2001 and late 2006, this theory test will still cover the bike today as it was designed to cover both the car and motorcycle categories. It never expires. You would just need to ask the NDLS if you have the 'Type 1' theory test. This is regardless of whether you did the bike specific one later (ie, you may have done the one for bikes and cars in the early 2000s and later was advised to take the bike-specific one, you would basically have two theory tests done for the bike.

It was actually nearly 10 years ago to the day that I got my first bike permit. I passed the practical test in August of 2008 so it can be done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭drunkymonkey

Hi all, a reply finally from them.
    Looks like a full start over. :)
    Look below

Please be advised you hold the entitlement to renew your learner permit for 5 years after the date of expiry. The expiry date of your learner permit was the 11/10/2011. As more than this timeframe has passed you will be required to complete a theory test in the AM category. Once completed, you can apply for a learner permit as per the process outlined below. The theory test can be booked on www.theorytest.ie
    To apply to renew your Learner Permit, you will be required to attend an NDLS centre in person.
    You can book an appointment on www.ndls.ie or you can avail of the walk-in service (for more information, visit the website).
    You will be required to submit the following documentation (copies of NDLS forms and Reports are available on www.ndls.ie):
     A fully completed Application Form D201.
     Your current Learner Permit.
     Proof of PPS Number if you have not attended the NDLS centre before.
     If you have changed address since you last renewed your licence, a Proof of Address will be required dated within the last six months.
     Original theory test in the AM category
     A Medical Report is required if you are over 70 years old and/or you have answered Yes to any of the medical questions on the application form or are applying for any of the Group 2 categories and do not have a valid medical report on file to cover you for the duration of the permit.
     An Eyesight Report is required if you said Yes to wearing glasses previously and are now no longer required to wear them. The eyesight report will allow us to remove the 01 notation from your permit.
     Fee €35.00.

Advertisement